• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"I have a dream" fulfilled

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
In Rice's rise, many see King's dream refracted
Role in White House evokes mixed feelings
Sunday, January 16, 2005

By Jonathan Tilove
Newhouse News Service

In September 1963, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered the eulogy for three of the four girls killed in the bombing of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Ala. What King could not know was that, within earshot of the blast, just blocks away at her father's church, was another little black girl, a friend of the youngest victim, who 42 years later would be on the verge of becoming America's foremost diplomat.

This year, the Martin Luther King holiday, marking what would have been his 76th birthday, falls on Jan. 17. The next day, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee opens hearings on the nomination of Condoleezza Rice to succeed Colin Powell as secretary of state.

It's a stunning juxtaposition that offers those who knew King, lived that history and ponder his legacy an opportunity to wonder: How might they explain Rice's rise to him? And what would he make of it?
She is, after all, the literal fulfillment of King's dream -- a woman judged not by the color of her skin but by the content of her character. She is also living proof that King's eulogy was prescient, that "these children -- unoffending, innocent and beautiful -- did not die in vain."

"I would hold her up as a standard for all young black women," said the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, the fearless civil rights leader who brought King to Birmingham. And yet Shuttlesworth believes the president Rice serves has got it wrong: "I just don't think bombing people makes them love you."

Pride and doubt

And so it is for many of King's disciples -- profound pride at the scale of Rice's success, measured against the deepest doubts about the foreign policy of President Bush.

On Christmas night 1956 Shuttlesworth's church was blown up. He emerged, unhurt, from the rubble. That was the Birmingham -- "Bombingham" -- where Rice grew up. The dynamiting of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, which took the life of her friend Denise McNair, was only the most famous, the most heinous act of a very long reign of terror.

That a national security adviser and designated secretary of state in this age of global terror should be someone who survived what she has called "the homegrown terrorism of the 1960s" is striking and, in her view, fitting.

As she told the National Association of Black Journalists two summers ago, those who think the Iraqis are unready or uninterested in freedom are echoing the racist appraisal of black people when she was growing up.

"The view was wrong in 1963 in Birmingham, and it is wrong in 2003 in Baghdad," she said.
But for others, as Columbia University law professor Patricia Williams wrote in The Nation in December, it is unseemly to invoke the memory of the martyred girls in the name of policies that seem so at odds with the spirit of the movement for which they gave their lives.

"If it's nice to see a black face in high places," wrote Williams, who identified with Rice's exacting black middle-class striving, "that pleasure is more than outweighed by Rice's deployment as spokeswoman for an unprecedented policy of pre-emptive war -- the public face of an undisciplined, frightened, chaotically managed yet supposedly liberatory force that thoughtlessly bombs mosques with unarmed civilians inside."

Surmounting segregation

Still, she wrote, "Nobody 'hates' Condoleezza Rice."

"One of the things I've thought about a lot is why I feel differently about her than I would about some black conservatives," said Clayborne Carson, the historian chosen by Coretta Scott King to direct the King Papers Project at Stanford University, where Rice served as provost before joining the Bush administration. "I think the heart of the difference is that she was always part of the black community."
But Roger Wilkins, who in 1968, as chief of the Justice Department's Community Relations Service, was sent by President Johnson the day after King's assassination to talk to his widow, believes Rice owes a debt to King, one best paid to those he cared most about at his life's end: the poor. King, Wilkins believes, would want Rice to understand that "there's a lot more to being black in America than just succeeding."

In a profile that appeared in The Washington Post Magazine the Sunday before Sept. 11, 2001, Rice portrayed herself not so much as the product of the movement to end segregation, which she suggested was already coming undone, as of her family's ability to surmount it and prepare her, their only child, for the opportunities freedom would bring.

Her mother, Angelena, was a teacher. Her father, John Wesley Rice Jr., was a minister with his own church and guidance counselor at Ullman High School. When Rice was 11, he became a college administrator and moved the family first to Tuscaloosa, Ala., and later to Denver.

"She's a great American story about the power of education and the progress we've made," said Freeman Hrabowski, president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

Not the whole story

Hrabowski, a few years older than Rice, was a student at Ullman. There he was mentored by her father and by the school's principal, George Bell, an uncle to Alma Powell, whose father, R.C. Johnson, was the principal of another black high school in Birmingham. Back in 1963, Alma and her baby were living with Johnson while her husband, Colin Powell, who would become Rice's predecessor and the first black secretary of state, was in Vietnam.

A great story indeed, Hrabowski says. But he cautions, as King might, that while so many black people are still poor and poorly educated, it is not the whole story: "We see progress that few people could have imagined and yet we see challenges as great as ever."

Unlike Hrabowski, who was jailed at age 12 marching with King, the Rices kept their distance from the movement, which calculatedly placed innocents in evil's way in order to move America.
"My father was not a march-in-the-street preacher," Rice told the Post. "He saw no reason to put children at risk."

In his Letter From a Birmingham Jail, written in April 1963, King chided the "few middle-class Negroes who, because of a degree of academic and economic security and because in some ways they profit by segregation, have become insensitive to the problems of the masses."

But Shuttlesworth does not fault John Rice, on whom he always felt he could count for behind-the-scenes counsel and support. "He was a cautious man," Shuttlesworth said, but "he was a good friend of mine."

'She is not us'

Joanne Bland, director of the National Voting Rights Museum in Selma, Ala., does not count Rice's daughter a friend.

"She is not us," said Bland, who grew up in the George Washington Carver Homes on what now is Martin Luther King Street in Selma, and was arrested in March 1965, at age 11, trying to march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in what came to be known as Bloody Sunday.

Earlier that year, King, Shuttlesworth and John Lewis, now a congressman from Georgia, became the first black people to check into Selma's Hotel Albert. On registering, King was assaulted by Jimmy George Robinson, a white racist from Birmingham.

Forty years later to the day come Rice's confirmation hearings.

"It's testimony to what the movement did," said Joseph Smitherman, who was Selma's mayor in 1965, defeated only in 2000. "The changes it brought would have eventually come, but it would have been years and years."

Unfinished agenda

For Denise McNair's father, talking about Condoleezza Rice brings home what was gained and what he lost.

"Denise was my only daughter at the time, and (she and Rice) were in the same kindergarten at the Presbyterian church where her daddy was pastor," Chris McNair said. "She'd be 53 today. You do wonder what she would have been doing. She was always a leader."

McNair has followed Rice's career and even visited her for a few minutes at her White House office a couple of years ago. Her politics are not his, he said, but "I take my hat off to her," and to Bush for nominating her.

But McNair notes the irony that just this past Nov. 2, Alabamans voted narrowly against removing antiquated language from the state Constitution requiring separate schools for "white and colored children."

On Jan. 17, he will be the keynote speaker at Valparaiso (Indiana) University's annual Martin Luther King convocation. His speech is titled "Birmingham and the Unfinished Agenda."
. . . . . . .
Jonathan Tilove can be contacted at jonathan.tilove@newhouse.com.

This woman could also be the next President of the United States

In what other country of the World would a black man and woman be in positions of power that Condi Rice and Colin Powell are in?

Colin Powell could have been the President if he had so chose.  There is a very good possibility that Condi Rice will be both the first woman Pres and the first black.  Come on Dems bring on Billiary!

"In what other country of the World would a black man and woman be in positions of power that Condi Rice and Colin Powell are in?"

IN Canada, Australia, many other countries... this type of freedom is enjoyed by most western nations.   The UK already has a woman PM, and Canada has had many minority ministers and this will only increase as time so on.   So your statment can apply to many nations not just the USA.

LF(CMO) said:
In what other country of the World would a black man and woman be in positions of power that Condi Rice and Colin Powell are in?

Ummm....most if not all of the ones in Africa?

Here's a question: in what other country would it be such a big thing? Most Western countries seem to take the idea of female heads of govt or heads of state in stride, and we already have a visible minority as our Governor General, de facto our head of state. My impression of the US is that for all of its good intentions, dynamic freedoms and great energy, there are deep-running streams of social and religious conservatism that most other Western countries would find a bit odd. Imagine a political candidate in Canada, the UK, Australia or NZ making a big issue of religion, or espousing a conservative religious-based agenda. Not much chance of getting elected, is there? But, it appears to me that in the US this can still generate (perhaps on a regional basis) large amounts of voter support. I wonder how our US friends on this site see the situation?

Cheers.

I think Colin Powell was a great and brilliant man indeed.  How disgusting that he gets a pat on the head by the US media, with the implied suffix "for a black man."  They need to get past all that.  We all do, really.  Kim Campbell was a shitty Prime Minister, but no one said "because she was a woman." 

Canada, Australia, and African countries hardly equate to the US in terms of power and influence.  The UK ,of course, had a woman PM and a very good one.  She almost single handedly changed the disastrous course of western economies.  President Regan took his lead from her.  She could easily be the 'statesperson' of the latter half of the 20th Cen.

As far as the 'conservative religious based agenda', I given that considerable thought.  It seems its roots go back to the Civil War in England etc.  The 'American Revolution' was really not very revolutionary.  It was just a rekindling of the CW of 100 yrs previous that the New Englanders had never reconciled themselves to living under a monarchy.  They wanted a republic, 'one nation under God' and were just waiting for an opportunity to bring it to the for.  Their Congregational Church's told them that Gov works best from the bottom up not the top down.

Another point of interest, I wonder how many US presidents trace their ancestry back to those first New Englanders?  I think most of them.  I know Bush and Clinton do,  They are both decent from New Englander's and royalty.  John Kerry's ancestors married into the Boston 'blue bloods' about the turn of the 19th Cen.  He and the Bush's are distant cousins.

A number of years ago I saw a show on the history channel depicting the life of Oliver Cromwell.  When they were going into battle one of their banners read, "In God we trust".

Canada, Australia, and African countries hardly equate to the US in terms of power and influence

Ok, but what is the connection between that statement and the difficulty the US historically appears to have had with the idea of either a visible minority or a woman as head of state/head of govt?

The 'American Revolution' was really not very revolutionary.

I tend to agree with this, and I suggest that it wasn't really inevitable that things turned out the way they did. What if Pitt, King George, etc had worked a bit harder to understand the Englishmen living in the Thirteen Colonies, and had granted them progressively more independence (or granted it totally, but on friendly terms, as the "White Dominions" received in 1931). What if instead of sending over more troops and imposing stupider restrictions, Parliament had sent over America's own version of Lord Durham? It is interesting to speculate how the world might have evolved if all of North America had remained as a united entity, from the Rio Grande to the the Arctic, rather than fragmenting into two portions that were never (and to a certain extent, still are not...) really 100% happy with each other. (Just say "Softwood/Beef Cattle" to a Canadian or "Canada and Iraq" to an American and see what I mean). At least the US would have real beer.... Cheers.

Michael Dorosh said:
I think Colin Powell was a great and brilliant man indeed.  How disgusting that he gets a pat on the head by the US media, with the implied suffix "for a black man."  They need to get past all that.  We all do, really.  Kim Campbell was a shitty Prime Minister, but no one said "because she was a woman." 

Couldn't have said it better myself!  :salute:

Birmingham's New Legacy
How the work of Martin Luther King Jr. and the murder of Denise McNair led to our new secretary of State.
by Scott Johnson
01/31/2005 12:00:00 AM

WHEN MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. brought his campaign against segregation to Bull Connor's Birmingham, he laid siege to the bastion of Jim Crow. Birmingham was among the most segregated cities in the country at the time; King called it a city whose fathers had apparently never heard of Abraham Lincoln. Birmingham had also been the site of a horrific series of bombings of black churches and homes. In April 1963 King answered the call to bring his cause to the city. When King landed in jail on Good Friday for violating an injunction prohibiting demonstrations, he used the time to meditate on the counsel of prudence with which Birmingham's white ministers had greeted his campaign. King's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" was the result.

Reading the letter 40 years later is a humbling experience. Perhaps most striking is King's seething anger over the indignities of segregation:

I guess it is easy for those who have never felt the stinging darts of segregation to say, "Wait." But when . . . you suddenly find your tongue twisted and your speech stammering as you seek to explain to your 6-year-old daughter why she can't go to the public amusement park that has just been advertised on television, and see tears welling up in her eyes when she is told that Funtown is closed to colored children . . .

As it happens, Birmingham's Condoleezza Rice was 8-years-old when King wrote those words in the Birmingham jail. Her confirmation as United States secretary of State this past week closed a loop, even if no one seemed to notice.

Eight days after that Good Friday in 1963, King was released from jail. On May 10 he announced a historic desegregation agreement with Birmingham's business community. On the strength of his victory in Birmingham he led the March on Washington on August 28 and gave his great "I have a dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Only 18 days later, however, amid the continuing tumult over what King called Birmingham's "partial and grudging compliance" with the settlement terms he had secured, Birmingham was the scene of a bitter sequel to the events of that spring.

On September 15, 1963, Birmingham's Sixteenth Street Baptist Church was holding its annual Youth Day when a bomb exploded in the basement and killed four girls who had slipped out of Bible class early to lead the adult services later that morning. Among the four dead was Denise McNair. Had she lived, Denise McNair would be 53 today.

IN NUMEROUS FORMAL SPEECHES she gave and informal remarks she made while holding the position of National Security Advisor, Rice recalled her ties to Birmingham and to her "friend and playmate" Denise McNair. In the Vanderbilt University commencement speech she gave on May 17, 2004, for example, Rice said:

I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama, before the Civil Rights movement--a place that was once described, with no exaggeration, as the most thoroughly segregated city in the country. I know what it means to hold dreams and aspirations when half your neighbors think you are incapable of, or uninterested in, anything better.

I know what it's like to live with segregation in an atmosphere of hostility, and contempt, and cold stares, and the ever-present threat of violence, a threat that sometimes erupted into the real thing.

I remembered the bombing of that Sunday school at 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham in 1963. I did not see it happen, but I heard it happen and I felt it happen, just a few blocks away at my father's church. It is a sound that I will never forget, that will forever reverberate in my ears. That bomb took the lives of four young girls, including my friend and playmate Denise McNair. The crime was calculated, not random. It was meant to suck the hope out of young lives, bury their aspirations, and ensure that old fears would be propelled forward into the next generation.

Rice added that "those fears were not propelled forward. Those terrorists failed."

The bombing of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church had been the handiwork of former members of the Ku Klux Klan--brothers under the hood to former Ku Klux Klan Grand Kleagle and current Democratic United States Senator Robert Byrd. Byrd of course opposed Rice's confirmation as Secretary of State last week. Standing shoulder to shoulder with Byrd and 11 other Democratic senators in opposing Rice's confirmation was Democratic senator Mark Dayton who is, oddly enough, the occupant of Hubert Humphrey's seat in the Senate. History takes strange turns and politics makes strange bedfellows.

In ascending to the first among cabinet offices Rice becomes the first cabinet officer in the line of presidential succession. Rice's ascent represents fulfillment of a "promise" that Martin Luther King offered in the form of his "dream" in the summer of 1963. The promise traced its roots back to the Emancipation Proclamation and, Lincoln and King both insisted, to the Declaration of Independence. In 1864 Lincoln wrote in response to prominent Democrats who urged him to rescind the Emancipation Proclamation: "The promise, being made, must be kept." The fulfillment of the promise represented by Rice's ascent is one in which all Americans can rightfully take pride.

Scott Johnson is a contributor to the blog Power Line and a contributing writer to The Daily Standard.

© Copyright 2005, News Corporation, Weekly Standard, All Rights Reserved.

a_majoor said:
This woman could also be the next President of the United States

I think you're being a bit unrealistic. It's going to be a loooooong time before a black female is president of the US. Or any woman or minority for that matter. I mean c'mon - it's the US.

Glorified Ape said:
I think you're being a bit unrealistic. It's going to be a loooooong time before a black female is president of the US. Or any woman or minority for that matter. I mean c'mon - it's the US.

I agree whole heartedly. The best Rice could hope for would be as the Vice-Presidential candidate as the republicans tried to gain more of the black vote. But don't forget this is the republican party we are talking about. And though no one may say it publically, I think a lot of republican voters would have a hard time with a black and/or female on the big ticket. I think we are more likely to see an hispanic pres/vice-pres before a black one, especially as the demographics keep changing.

The racism that runs through US society can be quite startling to a Canadian moving here. And it's not just white on black. Cubans put down other hispanics, American blacks put down Caribbean blacks, and my son has been on the receiving end of a lot of slurs and comments from black kids. I don't know how they are ever going to get rid of it all.

QUOTE,

..whats the matter Ape, got tired of trolling in the political forum so now you are trying here?
I know I'm going to regret this but can you explain what you mean by that?.......and not just heresay either.
Enlighten us with your worldly experiences with the US of A.

Dr Rice's biography: 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/ricebio.html
Biography of Dr. Condoleezza Rice, National Security Advisor
Dr. Condoleezza Rice became the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, commonly referred to as the National Security Advisor, on January 22, 2001.

In June 1999, she completed a six year tenure as Stanford University 's Provost, during which she was the institution's chief budget and academic officer. As Provost she was responsible for a $1.5 billion annual budget and the academic program involving 1,400 faculty members and 14,000 students.

As professor of political science, Dr. Rice has been on the Stanford faculty since 1981 and has won two of the highest teaching honors -- the 1984 Walter J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching and the 1993 School of Humanities and Sciences Dean's Award for Distinguished Teaching.

At Stanford, she has been a member of the Center for International Security and Arms Control, a Senior Fellow of the Institute for International Studies, and a Fellow (by courtesy) of the Hoover Institution. Her books include Germany Unified and Europe Transformed (1995) with Philip Zelikow, The Gorbachev Era (1986) with Alexander Dallin, and Uncertain Allegiance: The Soviet Union and the Czechoslovak Army (1984). She also has written numerous articles on Soviet and East European foreign and defense policy, and has addressed audiences in settings ranging from the U.S. Ambassador's Residence in Moscow to the Commonwealth Club to the 1992 and 2000 Republican National Conventions.

From 1989 through March 1991, the period of German reunification and the final days of the Soviet Union, she served in the Bush Administration as Director, and then Senior Director, of Soviet and East European Affairs in the National Security Council, and a Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. In 1986, while an international affairs fellow of the Council on Foreign Relations, she served as Special Assistant to the Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In 1997, she served on the Federal Advisory Committee on Gender -- Integrated Training in the Military.

She was a member of the boards of directors for the Chevron Corporation, the Charles Schwab Corporation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the University of Notre Dame, the International Advisory Council of J.P. Morgan and the San Francisco Symphony Board of Governors. She was a Founding Board member of the Center for a New Generation, an educational support fund for schools in East Palo Alto and East Menlo Park, California and was Vice President of the Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula . In addition, her past board service has encompassed such organizations as Transamerica Corporation, Hewlett Packard, the Carnegie Corporation, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, The Rand Corporation, the National Council for Soviet and East European Studies, the Mid-Peninsula Urban Coalition and KQED, public broadcasting for San Francisco.

Born November 14, 1954 in Birmingham, Alabama, she earned her bachelor's degree in political science, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver in 1974; her master's from the University of Notre Dame in 1975; and her Ph.D. from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver in 1981. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and has been awarded honorary doctorates from Morehouse College in 1991, the University of Alabama in 1994, the University of Notre Dame in 1995, the National Defense University in 2002, the Mississippi College School of Law in 2003, the University of Louisville and Michigan State University in 2004. She resides in Washington, D.C.

July 2004

see also:

www-hoover.stanford.edu/bios/rice.html

www.rice2008.com/

Are there any other well known, high profile potential candidates with such a wide range of experience? Most Democratic contenders I have heard of seem to be lifetime politicians, although I would like to be surprised. Dr Rice has some very impressive credentials, and I think if she decides to run any challengers from the Democrats or the Republicans is going to have a rough ride indeed.

Only in Canada would it be considered "progressive" to have a crappy woman Prime Minister years before your neighbor elected a competent one    ::)

Oh - and some of you "holier than thou" types - I don't see much difference between stereotyping based on nationality than on gender, skin colour, or religion.....

Glorified Ape said:

I lived in Louisiana from 2001-2003, waaaaay down the bayou, where obvious racism still exists.  The rednecks around absolutely loved Condi, because of her strong conservative views, and her straightforward approach (as opposed to the litany of corrupt politicians that Louisiana has endured over the years).  I think she has a better shot at being the first woman president than Ms. Clinton does.

Has there been a precedent of a Secretary of State moving on to the presidency?

Well there ya go Ape, first-hand knowledge and experience...........and you?

...and just to show how full of me I am, I'm going to quote myself,...
My take on those who blame America for EVERYTHING,...
........because there is ALWAYS gonna be teenage and early twenty-year old alpha males in this world who just can't deal with the fact that someone else on the next block is bigger and tougher, and since I can't get the girl by standing tall, I will slither and slice and back-stab them so that just maybe someday I can shed this horrible case of penis envy that I'm burdoned with.

If I remember the US government structure correctly, after the VP, the first cabinet officer in line for the presidency is the Secretary of State, which means that Collin Powell was the number three man in the US Administration, and Dr Rice is now third in line of succession.

a_majoor said:
If I remember the US government structure correctly, after the VP, the first cabinet officer in line for the presidency is the Secretary of State, which means that Collin Powell was the number three man in the US Administration, and Dr Rice is now third in line of succession.

Not quite.  In the line of succession after the VP comes Speaker of the House of Representatives, then President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and then Secretary of State (which is the first cabinet officer in line, but 4th, not 3rd).
http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_succ.html

And to answer my own question, Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams both served as Secretary of State before becoming president, but I was interested in a more modern example.  There is a tradition in American politics of senators or governors ignoring many of their duties for a year to make a run at the presidency, but I don't think Rice will have that luxury.  Maybe 2012 would be more realistic for her?

sigpig said:
I agree whole heartedly. The best Rice could hope for would be as the Vice-Presidential candidate as the republicans tried to gain more of the black vote. But don't forget this is the republican party we are talking about. And though no one may say it publically, I think a lot of republican voters would have a hard time with a black and/or female on the big ticket. I think we are more likely to see an hispanic pres/vice-pres before a black one, especially as the demographics keep changing.

The racism that runs through US society can be quite startling to a Canadian moving here. And it's not just white on black. Cubans put down other hispanics, American blacks put down Caribbean blacks, and my son has been on the receiving end of a lot of slurs and comments from black kids. I don't know how they are ever going to get rid of it all.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
QUOTE,

..whats the matter Ape, got tired of trolling in the political forum so now you are trying here?
I know I'm going to regret this but can you explain what you mean by that?.......and not just heresay either.
Enlighten us with your worldly experiences with the US of A.

Well, first off - this is the political forum.   ;)

Secondly, for experience with the US, see Sigpig's post (above).

Thirdly, regarding the fallacy of hasty generalization (read: generalizing based on personal experience), see: http://www.santarosa.edu/~dpeterso/permanenthtml/propaganda/prop_anecdotal.htm

muskrat89 said:
Only in Canada would it be considered "progressive" to have a crappy woman Prime Minister years before your neighbor elected a competent one    ::)

Oh - and some of you "holier than thou" types - I don't see much difference between stereotyping based on nationality than on gender, skin colour, or religion.....

I'm not stereotyping the US based on their nationality, I'm making my comment based on the history of their politics.

A record number of 77 women serve in the 108th Congress: 63 in the House (one
more than the record number of 62 in the107th Congress), and 14 in the Senate. The 14
female Senators are a new record. Of the 63 women in the House, 42 are Democrats,
including three Delegates, and 21 are Republicans. In the Senate, nine women are
Democrats; five are Republicans.
A record 25 Hispanic Members are in the 108th Congress. All serve in the House,
and one is a Delegate. Twenty are Democrats, seven are women. Two Hispanic Members
are brothers, and two are sisters. Mario and Lincoln Diaz-Balart are Republicans from
Florida. Linda and Loretta Sanchez are Democrats from California.12
Currently, there are 39 black Members of the 108th Congress, two fewer than the
record number of 41 in the 104th Congress. All 39, including two Delegates, serve in the
House and are Democrats. Thirteen black women serve in the House, including two
Delegates.
Seven Members are of Asian or Native Hawaiian/other Pacific Islander heritage.
Five serve in the House and two in the Senate. One is a Delegate, and one is an African
American with Filipino heritage. All are Democrats.
There are three American Indian Members of the 108th Congress. Two, one from
each party, serve in the House. The third is a Republican Member of the Senate.
http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS21379.pdf

There are 13 black females in the entirety of the house and senate. The majority of minority and female members are democrat. US presidential voting habits are becoming increasingly republican. Thus the likelihood of a democrat (best bet for females and minorities) being elected president is less than a republican. The likelihood of a female minority republican being elected president are pretty slim given A) the republicans field far fewer of them and that republicans are less likely to vote for minorities, B) given the importance of the presidential election, the republicans are pretty unlikely to take the substantial chance of fielding a female minority as their candidate.

There has never been, to my knowledge, a female or minority speaker, let alone both. There has never been a female or minority vice president, let alone both. The closest that a female or minority has come to the presidency is a cabinet appointment, which doesn't rely on a popular election for selection.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Well there ya go Ape, first-hand knowledge and experience...........and you?

...and just to show how full of me I am, I'm going to quote myself,...
My take on those who blame America for EVERYTHING,...
........because there is ALWAYS gonna be teenage and early twenty-year old alpha males in this world who just can't deal with the fact that someone else on the next block is bigger and tougher, and since I can't get the girl by standing tall, I will slither and slice and back-stab them so that just maybe someday I can shed this horrible case of penis envy that I'm burdoned with.

Perhaps you'd like to point out where I blamed America for everything? Or maybe you wanted to quote what you seem to believe is a witty or insightful comment you made at some point in the past. Well, you've done it. Do you feel better now?

Back