• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I could use some encouragement please

I'm 35 and am presently in the process, awaiting the medical OK.  The Forces had been on my mind for a long time, and I wish I had of done it sooner, but its certainly not too late.  If you really want it, go for it!  :nod:

Thera said:
I never said I was special and apparently it's not such a good idea to ask for thoughts, opinions and support from those that have been there, my apologies.

No apologies necessary; it's perfectly appropriate to have asked the questions you asked.  We're not quite "random strangers", as one poster said - most of us have been through military training, which is the experience you were asking about.  Nor does it seem to me that you wanted to be called "special", or "celebrated", as another poster said.  Best to just disregard the unhelpful comments. 

I'm 41 now, and wouldn't want to go back & do it over again - because once is enough, and I'm currently less than fit, and also have acquired a general distaste for communal living at this age.  But the barracks experience is only temporary, and if you're motivated and able to get along with people (or at least ignore them), it will be no problem.

Check the other threads on this topic, and IMO, Eye In The Sky's advice is excellent.  The more fit you can become before training, the less difficult everything will be.  Also, consider the reserves - but primarily for part-time work, as full-time reserve contracts are becoming more scarce.

Good luck! 

I attended my basic officer training in the 90s with a 54 year old man who first experience of war was as refugee in 1945.  He did just fine and in fact was a stabilizing influence on the kids on the course.  You will do just fine if you want it.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the helpful and supportive comments!

As I said, getting transcipts next week, and my 13 yr old son is going to start running with me (bonus having alone time with him) and on the next shopping, some healthier and/or carb packed foods!

Yup.

My gym life partner says it in an all-too-cheerful voice when he's spotting me on the bench press.
Especially when the gym is packed.

Thera said:
I never said I was special and apparently it's not such a good idea to ask for thoughts, opinions and support from those that have been there, my apologies.

I realize you have moved on from this but just a quick note:

Nothing written by the posters above your comment was offencive or should have caused you to bristle in any way. They were providing you with realistic and blunt answers to your questions. The military isn't a bunch of meanies or anything but directness is certainly a quality many military members have. Try to take the message they are giving you and grow some thicker skin, as you could very well experience much worse than that once enrolled. There is nothing wrong with asking for people's opinions but be prepared for a mixed bag, especially on a public forum.

Just some friendly advice. I wish you all the luck.  ;D

Back