• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I can't believe it. How did this happen?

IBM said:
Just keep at it and don't give up if this is what you really want to do. Reapply again later. I'm sure the majority of CF pilots didn't get there by one their 1st try, or went through RMC for it. Persistance pays off for those that don't give up.

Well said.  It took me 11 years to get my crack at being a pilot.  Persistence is the key, there are other wonderful opportunities that the CF provides.  I was an NCM first, there are a tons of educational and experience opportunities to be had at all levels.  "Don't give up your dreams" as leroi put it.  I was pretty upset the first time I tried for pilot and got the red flag, but here I am......challenging myself to find other ways to be successful and never giving up on the prize.  Times change, number requirements change, don't squander the time between now and then.....carpe diem.  I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do.  :salute:

Reapply next year if that's what you really want T-Bone. But it is very competitive, especially at RMC. Some of my engineering friends came into first year with extremely high academic marks from high school, cadet experience, extremely fit, etc etc. But at the end of first year, due to all the demands on you, a few ended up failing one course, which means they are not going to be in the engineering department, which meant they had to change trades. And, the way things work now at RMC, you don't get assigned your trade until the end of your first year. So if you screw up anything at all during your first year, you might not  get pilot anyway, as the trade is so competitive. One of my mates is doing his masters degree here next year, just so he is doing something more productive with his time while he waits for his pilot training, as there is such a backlog. Some people I know made it all the way to fourth year, only to be told 2 weeks before graduation that their academics weren't good enough, and they were being released from the forces. Goodbye career. Others have personal or physical issues that come up that screw up their trade training or selection, even though they are otherwise excellent candidates. So in other words, be flexible. Decide what you want more, to be in the CF, or to be a pilot? If it's the CF, choose a few other trades that you might be interested in. You can always change your selection later. If you only want to go pilot, become a civi pilot. Good luck.

breezie said:
Reapply next year if that's what you really want T-Bone. But it is very competitive, especially at RMC. Some of my engineering friends came into first year with extremely high academic marks from high school, cadet experience, extremely fit, etc etc. But at the end of first year, due to all the demands on you, a few ended up failing one course, which means they are not going to be in the engineering department, which meant they had to change trades. And, the way things work now at RMC, you don't get assigned your trade until the end of your first year. So if you screw up anything at all during your first year, you might not  get pilot anyway, as the trade is so competitive. One of my mates is doing his masters degree here next year, just so he is doing something more productive with his time while he waits for his pilot training, as there is such a backlog. Some people I know made it all the way to fourth year, only to be told 2 weeks before graduation that their academics weren't good enough, and they were being released from the forces. Goodbye career. Others have personal or physical issues that come up that screw up their trade training or selection, even though they are otherwise excellent candidates. So in other words, be flexible. Decide what you want more, to be in the CF, or to be a pilot? If it's the CF, choose a few other trades that you might be interested in. You can always change your selection later. If you only want to go pilot, become a civi pilot. Good luck.

Sorry.....I kno this has been kinda all ready stated in many peoles post but i still need clearing up with some questions.

So i applied in november 2008 for ROTP and put only pilot down for my choice and RMC for my school.....I went to aircrew feb 6 2009 and passed for pilot and failled the ACSO test( not that it effected my pilot selection) and passed the medical....when i Got back i waited and never got a call and when i went in around may the said I prob havent been selected since they didnt hear anything..now two days ago i just got a call saying i'm selected to go to the rmc.....as pilot or Air ops....dunno how that works......Anyways my questions are what are my chances now after all this of getting assigned as pilot for my trade/MOSID? sorry if any of my terms are wrong......

Air Ops means Pilot, ACSO or AEC.  Since you didn't pass aircrew for ACSO - you have a pretty good chance of being selected for Pilot.  You'll find out in a couple of years (or whenever RMC does the selection).  Take your free ticket to learn, study hard, concentrate on being a good student and learning the basics of being an Officer.  Worry about flight training when we are ready for you - in 3-4 years.

Hey everyone....just a little bump here and a quick question.  Is it the same for UTPNCM students ( civvy or rmc)...that they get assigned their MOC after their first year grades??

Shit happens.  Don't get yourself down on it.  I think the fact that you have applied now will work out for you better in the future.  When you apply again, as a DEO they will remember your first application.  This persistence is respected if they see that 4 years later, you are still thinking about the same thing.  If you apply as a DEO you proved that you were capable of University study which will already make your good application look great.  Last thing they want to do is train somebody who is unsure about life in the CF.  So if they see you return 4 years later, that may be interpreted as a positive thing.  It is great to think about flying around all day, but there is alot of other stuff that comes with the territory that people may not like and I know they want to weed these people out.

If you've seen Jetstream think about the guy who QUIT fighter-pilot school.  The CF brought/trained him all the way up to this point, spent alot of time, energy and effort, selected him from very good candidates and in the end HE rejected them because it wasn't the life for him.  Think about what an idiot he was.  He wasted his own time and the CF's time going all this way to finally figure out he didn't want to do it.  He threw a way a chance that only many dream of, in the same process he stole somebody elses dream due to is uncertainty - luckily they recruited another guy.  This is exactly what the CF is not looking for and that guy somehow slipped through the screening.

I agree with the people that say you should be willing to take another trade or at least show that on your application.  I think just thinking about pilot is being selfish.  It shows that you are only thinking about your own self interests and not the best interests of the forces who may be thinking you might be better at something else instead.  Remember the are the ones that got the experience, they've seen thousands of yous and in the end they would want everybody to be working in the field that would optimally utilize their potential. 

Remember, the CF is like one big team and you have to let the experienced captain decide where you FIT on that team, not where YOU think you fit.  If you demonstrate that you're willing to serve your country and you would be happy to help in whatever way you can - even if that means getting your 2nd and 3rd trade, this commitment might actually help you get your first choice!  It shows that you're a team-player.  It's about team-work, it's about being self-less, it's about being flexible.  I remember in my officer interview. 

I got ALOT of praise by many of the senior officers on the basis that once when I was unemployed university engineering graduate, I took a minimum-wage window-cleaning job because I didn't want to be late on rent, hey LOVED THAT.  They said it showed the kind of person I was, where I put responsibility ahead of pride.  Some people would be embarassed to admit they were unemployed after UNI let alone admit they accepted a minimum wage job. 

Anyways, I know I am way off topic.  My point is,  I think where others may have had the edge over you is perhaps they didn't demonstrate that they were entitled to be a Pilot but instead informed their interviewers that they were ready to take upon the job THEY THOUGHT WAS BEST for you.

xtreme said:
It is great to think about flying around all day,

That is pretty much all i think about all day. I get the other stuff done so that they let me keep flying.

Think about what an idiot he was.  He wasted his own time and the CF's time going all this way to finally figure out he didn't want to do it.

Having seen people decide it was not for them at various points in training, at least he was mart enough to make that decision before he went even further. You cant decide it is not for you until you are in it.

This is exactly what the CF is not looking for and that guy somehow slipped through the screening.

Having read all your previous posts thus far, i do not think you should be telling people what it is the CF are looking for.

I think just thinking about pilot is being selfish. 

If pilot is all a person wants to do then thats all they want to do. They should consider other options and have a backup plan but, in the end, if they have no interest in any other trade, that is their choice and that's ok.

and you have to let the experienced captain decide where you FIT on that team, not where YOU think you fit.

Worse advice ever. If a person meets the requirements and is interested in a specific trade, they should apply for that trade. Consider the advice of RC staff but in the end, decide for yourself what trade to join.

If you demonstrate that you're willing to serve your country and you would be happy to help in whatever way you can - even if that means getting your 2nd and 3rd trade, this commitment might actually help you get your first choice!  It shows that you're a team-player.  It's about team-work, it's about being self-less, it's about being flexible.  I remember in my officer interview. 

I remain amazed at the ammount of CFRC  or military experience you have.  ::)

Someone needs to stay in his lanes. With 0 experience in the CF or any military you are giving advice out of your a**.....

I am 29 years old.  I'm an Engineering and Physics major.  I work as a Physics teacher now.

They offered me to proceed with the rest of the pilot application process where I politely had to decline because of my current contract.

Now I regret the whole damn thing so much and wish I had proceeded with the application.  I was about 25/26 at the time and became a little over-confident that since they called me that perhaps they were *always* in need of pilots.  A bad assumption.

Now I realize that call may have been the one life-time opportunity!  And possibly given their CF's desperate circumstances then I may have had a realistic chance at going fast-jet if I did not face a fierce competition (although some may probably consider me as being the fierce competition).

Our family legacy dates back at least 1,000 years.

From the area my family lived, they were rulers and quite possibly kings/royalty, given the amount of land we have inherited over there (land in india is very very expensive compared to Canada).  And India being a country that has been in warfare for thousands of years, that blood is within me.

Careful buddy, the "idiot" that quit fighter pilot training is a friend of mine.  He's anything but an idiot.  You have no idea what the lifestyle is in the fighter force, you have no idea why he really quit, so shut your mouth.

Once you go through flight training and make it to the OTU, you may form an opinion on his situation.  Until then, shut up.

Hey SupersonicMax, I've been trying to send you a PM about a couple things I wanted to ask you about based on some of your previous posts, but it tells me your inbox is full. Would you mind clearing out a couple messages so I can throw a few questions at you?

xtreme said:
  This is exactly what the CF is not looking for and that guy somehow slipped through the screening.

Adding to the increasing dog-pile, I too must state my vehement objections to the maligned comments made by "xtreme".

The fact that this Military Aviator recognized that continued training in that specific stream was not in his best interests, is a good thing IMHO.

He wasted zero resources (CF-188 burns $45,000/hour of fuel) and stepped out and made his intentions very clear.  Kudos to him.

Unlike Max - I know that I would have zero interest in being a career fighter pilot.  I think flying the Hornet once or twice would be cool - but that the life is not for me, nor the working conditions.

After reading this entire thread, I have to say that if someone is the best person for the job, than let them do it, even if that person isn't you. It sucks for some people, but in the end, it is the right thing. If you apply for a position and aren't selected, there IS a reason for it.

Also, I am with Max. Although I don't know his friend. I do understand his reasons for taking offence to the posts regarding his buddy's decision to leave fighter school. No one really knows if they are cut out for the job until they do the job. That goes for any job/trade/career, civi or CF. Just my 2c's

T-Bone said:
I had experimented with marijuana last summer, have done it 3 times in my life.  I was honest about it on the drug history sheet, but figured I might score some honesty points on the flip side, and hoped it wasn't a decision maker.

Does anybody think this was the decision maker? Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in the same situation (I did it twice and I really regret it) and worried, especially since I'm trying for pilot. Do you get a chance to explain it during your interview?

Just an update:

I qualified for Officer, with all trades about two years ago.  I wrote the test, just for the sake of writing it.

The practice exam is all you need.  My new advice to anybody is, to make sure you are able to complete the practice exam under timed conditions.  The practice exam looks easy at a glance, but it's not as easy as you think when under a time-constraint/pressure.

Back