• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I am Canadian

I agree with you.
As Canadians we often have a tendency to place ourselves on the morale high ground and thumb our noses at the US spouting rightious indignation

That is an opened can of worms, but OK, I am going to jump into it!

Quebec is still the second most populate province in Canada, making ~ 24 % of the total Canadian population and making french the language of ~ 21 %  of Canadian and the second language most spoken.

Quebec contributed to the creation of this great country and still contribute with its francophone culture. It makes Canada distinct form US, UK, Australia and so on. Don't jump on me, English Canadians also make Canada different from other anglophone country and contribute greatly to the country.

What it takes for Quebec to keep alive their history, culture and so on is there business and as Canadian leaving outside Quebec, we should be proud of Quebec as a distinct province and help them to keep it and not turning as Louisiana.

Now, as a francophone living in BC, I don't mind that the province is not bilingual and I am not expecting it. Does Canadians have to learn French at school instead of Chinese and being bilingual at the federal level to serve less than 25 % of the Canadian population? Well probably not, but I'll be happy to see francophone communities living outside Quebec developing tools to keep their language alive.

Finally, for the multiculturalism as a good way to solve cultural clash, to avoid nationalism and so on, I am still debating it.
What does make a country strong, is it citizen having enough common points (other than money relationship) to give some cohesion to the country? Is it multiculturalism the only option? I don't know.

However, I am proud to be a Canadian, feeling at home from Coast to Coast, proud to have singer, actor, writer, business(men/women) and leaders from the francophone and anglophone world that shine beyond our border!

Neo you do know the opposite of integration is disintegration?

I dislike "American bashing" as much as I dislike "reserve bashing" as much as I dislike "teenager bashing".  If one has a problem with AN American, A reservist, or A teenager - one should deal with that specific problem, period.

Neo Cortex - I see by your profile that you are 18.  I don't judge ALL teenagers by your remarks here - that would unfairly tarnish their individual reputations.  Please refrain from doing the same thing to our American friends and neighbours.

There are hospitals shutting down because they are required to provide care to sick and injured individuals. I have met lots of people who have no "health care insurance", but I have never met, nor heard of someone (in my circle of friends/co-workers, or local community) who was refused needed treatment. There are numerous programs (http://www.azahcccs.gov/) that provide some level of health care to elderly, poor, unemployed, etc.

Of course there are horror stories - I am not denying that. The system is FAR from perfect - I am not denying that either. Some may argue, with some merit, that many forms of health-care (for the poor, as an example), are sub-standard; that being said you paint a picture of 40 million Americans receiving no treatment at all, and that is simply not the case.

My part of the world is Ojibway country, we attained our land base by forcibly removing the Lakota people. It wasn't pretty. We made no deals with them , made them no promises or treaties. We just took it. As long as I live and breed here, I assume the responsibilty. Heck, I'm proud. If Lakota people gave me grief about what we did to them a few hundred years ago, I would probebly shine a little on the inside. Because I'll tell ya, these parts are good hunting and the fishing is next to none! The good, the bad and the ugly, I got it all. Let them complain....from the prairies hehehe
Why so glum FastEddy?

Rucksack>> P
ruckmarch said:
Those that came years ago, always think they are better than immigrants that just arrived.

Can you back this up?
------------------------------
I am Indian, and I am honoured to have been chosen to serve this great nation. And not just nice parts.
----------------

Roy Harding said:
I dislike "American bashing" as much as I dislike "reserve bashing" as much as I dislike "teenager bashing".  If one has a problem with AN American, A reservist, or A teenager - one should deal with that specific problem, period.

Neo Cortex - I see by your profile that you are 18.  I don't judge ALL teenagers by your remarks here - that would unfairly tarnish their individual reputations.  Please refrain from doing the same thing to our American friends and neighbours.

I understand; it has become a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to pounce on Americans. I suppose (as I believe somebody else in the thread said) it's not much different than Americans not knowing enough about Canadians and stereotyping our negatives.

muskrat89 said:
There are hospitals shutting down because they are required to provide care to sick and injured individuals. I have met lots of people who have no "health care insurance", but I have never met, nor heard of someone (in my circle of friends/co-workers, or local community) who was refused needed treatment. There are numerous programs (http://www.azahcccs.gov/) that provide some level of health care to elderly, poor, unemployed, etc.

Of course there are horror stories - I am not denying that. The system is FAR from perfect - I am not denying that either. Some may argue, with some merit, that many forms of health-care (for the poor, as an example), are sub-standard; that being said you paint a picture of 40 million Americans receiving no treatment at all, and that is simply not the case.

Well, you're the SME here so I'll take your word for it. I don't think I would leave Canada for America but arguing with someone who has more knowledge than I has not bode well; Lesson learned. I'll be moving on now :-X

Not an expert by any means. There's broad generalizations in any issue. I'm just trying to point out that there is always more to it.

muskrat89 said:
Not an expert by any means. There's broad generalizations in any issue. I'm just trying to point out that there is always more to it.

Yes, I understand. You're an expert compared to me though ;)

Neo Cortex said:
But America has more than 75 times the number of handguns that Canada does.

Please provide a source for your claim. While you are at it, go and compare population numbers between the United States and Canada. if you are going to quote some number from somehwere, you should at least put it into context.

Canada as a country is indeed officially bilingual.  The only province within confederation that is also officially bilingual is New Brunswick.  Just throwing that out there, FWIW.

CDN Aviator said:
Please provide a source for your claim. While you are at it, go and compare population numbers between the United States and Canada. if you are going to quote some number from somehwere, you should at least put it into context.

I was trying to "back-out" of the debate, but since I already made the statement, it's my due-diligence to qualify it.

Very few people (about 50 in the country) have been given permits to carry handguns for "self-protection." This is only possible if an applicant can prove that his or her life is in danger and the police cannot protect the person. As a result, Canada has roughly 1 million handguns while the United States has more than 77 million.

Although there are other factors affecting rates of murder, suicide and unintentional injury, a comparison of data in Canada with US data suggests that access to handguns may play a role. While the murder rate without guns in the US is slightly higher (1.7 times) than that in Canada, the murder rate with handguns is 15 times the Canadian rate.

Source: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cdic-mcc/19-1/d_e.html

American Population: 303,824,640 (2008 est.)
Canadian Population: 33,212,696 (2008 est.)

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook

Neo Cortex said:
I was trying to "back-out" of the debate, but since I already made the statement, it's my due-diligence to qualify it.

Source: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cdic-mcc/19-1/d_e.html

American Population: 303,824,640 (2008 est.)
Canadian Population: 33,212,696 (2008 est.)

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook

Ok, so :

77 million handguns / 304 million people = 0.26 handguns per person in the United States (roughly)

1 million handguns / 33 million people = 0.03 handguns per person in Canada (roughly)

0.03 * 75 = 2.25

So The United States does not proportionaly have 75 times the number of guns than Canada has.

No ?

CDN Aviator said:
Ok, so :

77 million handguns / 304 million people = 0.26 handguns per person in the United States (roughly)

1 million handguns / 33 million people = 0.03 handguns per person in Canada (roughly)

0.03 * 75 = 2.25

So The United States does not proportionaly have 75 times the number of guns than Canada has.

No ?

Yes, I'll agree that per capita the United States has approximately 2.25 times the number of guns as Canada. In practice however, that still results in many more armed Americans than armed Canadians, and doesn't change the physical number of handguns in either country.

Was curious when i started reading. So I google(d) and found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Not fueling this flame.

...and your point is what?
Arewe expecting the Hee Haw Gang coming through the border anytime soon?

Jammer said:
...and your point is what?
Arewe expecting the Hee Haw Gang coming through the border anytime soon?

I apologize for the extended time spent on that one issue; we may be getting slightly off topic but my initial point was that Canada is a better place to live, with my main point being lowered violence; this was backed up by statistics that showed Canada has fewer guns in the country, and less handguns per capita in the hands of civilians.

I imagine if someone took the time they would find violent crime in Canada in general is lower than in the United States, however  I don't have the time at this moment, so I'll leave it as conjecture :)

Neo Cortex said:
Yes, I'll agree that per capita the United States has approximately 2.25 times the number of guns as Canada.

No, you read what i posted wrong.

Neo Cortex said:
this was backed up by statistics that showed Canada has fewer guns in the country,

Thats like saying that there is more cars in the US than in Canada. Thats like saying that the US federal budget is larger than ours.

Of course there is more. They have a much larger population. Without a per capita comparaison, saying that there is more guns down there than here ( you said 75 time more) is pointless. Using your numbers, there is around 9 times more handguns per capita in the US than in Canada. You make it sound more dramatic by saying 75 and that is misleading and naiive.

..a future Finance Minister career beckons for this guy ;D

Back