• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hypothetical situation

Ahhh.. okay... I thought we were still in REF to the original hypothetical situation of pre-deployment contract changes.  'cause from what I remember, the contract time line didn't change for our guys till we were overseas... and even then, from what I understand, it was optional.  Many of the guys from my unit were asked to stay on for another 2 months... most declined.  One who was going to accept, would have brought his tour up to 10 months (his contract was already extended to begin with).
But, yes, I agree... that's just pushing it. For both the member and their civi obligations.  And in respect to repercussions from not taking a contract extension in theater; If you've already put in your 6 months (or length of original contract) then in my mind, you've done your part and the rest is optional. 

But, based on the original topic of this thread; while you're in work up, or signing up for a tour, contracts are generally solid for time lines... and anyone signing up should understand that there are inherent risks and the possibility for extension. But, your original time line should be made clear before you sign up, and anything beyond that (aka, the whim of NDHQ) should be optional.

RHFC_piper said:
This is something that should have been considered in advanced...

Thanks Vern.

RHFC_piper    [Edit to add:  Sorry.  I typed this up while you were posting your answer above.] 

The above statement, with which you started your comments, was completely out of line and assine.  When a person takes one year Lve of Absence from a Public Service for a fixed period, they can not anticipate any changes to their contract after that contract has been signed and they are on the ground.  They are committed already.  These last minute changes after their are already committed are doing severe damage to the credibility of the CF, DND and the Government by which they are treating people's professional careers as if they didn't exist.  

There is a serious problem with Regular Force planners, who are treating Reservists as if they are Regular Force members.  They do not realize the hoops that Reservists must jump through, not only for Deployments, but also for everyday training at their Units.  We just saw an example of that when Gen Leslie initially insisted that all Reservists (All Class A included) must do the work up training and then the BFT as part of their IBTS Trg, yet allotted no extra time or monies for Pdes to do so.  There are serious disconnects that have to be sorted out.  Contract changing while Reservists are already deployed are one of them.

George Wallace said:
Thanks Vern.

RHFC_piper

The above statement, with which you started your comments, was completely out of line and assine.  When a person takes one year Lve of Absence from a Public Service for a fixed period, they can not anticipate any changes to their contract after that contract has been signed and they are on the ground.  They are committed already.  These last minute changes after their are already committed are doing severe damage to the credibility of the CF, DND and the Government by which they are treating people's professional careers as if they didn't exist. 

There is a serious problem with Regular Force planners, who are treating Reservists as if they are Regular Force members.  They do not realize the hoops that Reservists must jump through, not only for Deployments, but also for everyday training at their Units.  We just saw an example of that when Gen Leslie initially insisted that all Reservists (All Class A included) must do the work up training and then the BFT as part of their IBTS Trg, yet allotted no extra time or monies for Pdes to do so.  There are serious disconnects that have to be sorted out.  Contract changing while Reservists are already deployed are one of them.

My point was in ref to the original contract and not extensions in theater... I agree with you on that (just needed to clarify).  And I agree about the hoops Pres troops have to jump through... I could write a book on the issues I had pre-deployment.  But, with that said, and based on the original premise of this topic; no deploying reservist should be surprised by anything they get into during pre-deployment and deployment... if we truly are a 'lessons learned' army.
But, as I've stated above; extensions in theater Should be optional with no repercussions.

I'm curious to see the difference that will be made re contract extensions and LOA's once (read if) the feds manage to get the planned reservist job protection bill through commons.

ArtyNewbie said:
I'm curious to see the difference that will be made re contract extensions and LOA's once (read if) the feds manage to get the planned reservist job protection bill through commons.

Yeah... should be interesting.  I can foresee some good and bad coming out of it... and since I'm somewhat cynical; Will the CF take advantage of the bill and force extensions overseas? and if so, how will this effect employers decisions when it comes down to hiring a PRes member or granting LOAs? Does the bill cover LOAs (ie. does it say PRes members will be granted LOA? or does it just say 'work will be waiting'?)?  A lot of these questions have been brought up in other threads, but it's interesting to see how they all tie in together, since this bill will effect so many facets of the forces, deployment and employment.
Hopefully this bill will be a blessing and not a burden.

I don't think it will get through. It's a throwaway bill that the CPC can slam the opposition on once it fails, but I don't think they are serious about following through.

If it does pass they'll panic then.

I can only assume that this is an entirely hypothetical thing- as one of those 400 reservists I've heard no such mutterings, despite the state of our accommodations. It's a weird question though. I'm curious what prompted it.

ArtyNewbie said:

It will only affect people employed in the Federal job sector (under the Canada Labour Code), not all reservists.  IMO The government will have a lot of opposition if they try to make it enforceable across the country.  The SCoC has ruled that Labour relations/standards are controlled/set by the provinces, not the Federal Government (with exceptions, such as important industries in cases such as  ww3, etc.).

Back