• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hyena Road

I'm with Hamish...and usually preceded with, "awwww grrrreat......"

North, Canadians just say "Int."

George Wallace said:
Well.  Yes they do use the word "outstanding", but it is usually following an expletive.  [:D
Or as an ironic/sarcastic homage to this ...
original.jpg

Earlier on in the thread, the film Kandahar Journals was mentioned a few times. I've researched it, but it's unclear as to whether it is available for general release yet.

Does anyone have any info about how we can see this? Looks pretty decent.

Ungh ....recently watched this tripe called Hyena Road.

Thankfully I didn't waste one cent on it.

Rubbish. Should have known his M.O. from his previous work, Paachendale.

In case anyone is still interested, Hyena Road is now on the Canadian Netflix.

Infanteer said:
...and it is still terrible....

I was curious and watched it on netflix.

Given how bad the reviews were here, I actually thought it was reasonably good.

It certainly wasn't a documentary. But I didn't expect it to be, either.

SeaKingTacco said:
I was curious and watched it on netflix.

Given how bad the reviews were here, I actually thought it was reasonably good.

It certainly wasn't a documentary. But I didn't expect it to be, either.

The best part was the file footage of KAF.  I practically smelled the poo pond in that scene.

Taking the plunge and showing it to the S/O tonight.  I'm actually quite curious to see her reaction, knowing very little about the military.

Well, I'm hoping she doesn't think Snipers calling fire on their own position through the Company 2IC whom they knocked up is the norm....

It could have conveyed a lot of the experience over there, but instead went for the crappy hollywood drama approach.

Infanteer said:
Well, I'm hoping she doesn't think Snipers calling fire on their own position through the Company 2IC whom they knocked up is the norm....

It could have conveyed a lot of the experience over there, but instead went for the crappy hollywood drama approach.

Well, nothing would actually surprise me anymore.  ;)

After Paschendale, I learned to expect/ignore Paul Grosse's "romantic" touch. I thought, like Dimsum, that cutting stock footage with the actor footage was pretty seamlessly done.

I also thought it had some funny moments that reasonably approximated soldier humour.

Dimsum said:
The best part was the file footage of KAF.  I practically smelled the poo pond in that scene.

Infantry fragrances are always a big turn on. Pass the 'Essence de Napalm' :)

SeaKingTacco said:
I also thought it had some funny moments that reasonably approximated soldier humour.
Taking a dump in the bag was good, I’ve seen guys resealing (folding) chop sewey imp and leaving then with a sweet cookie pack and maybe a bottle of water in a ditch or maybe a grape seed hut.

I got through about the first 10 minutes of it on Netflix after seeing this thread. Not my thing. I'm watching Allied now instead.

My wife and I are watching it, since we know nothing.. a lot of these critiques we miss and we are enjoying.

It is nice seeing a show based on canadians soldiers.. even if it has flaws.

Abdullah

Come on guys, it’s not amazing but it’s not nearly as bad as I was expecting after reading this thread. It’s hard to really convey real military experiences in a movie, I thought that overall, despite the cringy relationship and ending that it was not horrible.

I was disappointed  with the movie after reading the title

I thought it was going to be about the struggles of the road and what soldiers went through when he was there

I get it, there was a story about Afghanistan he wanted to tell. It just I was hoping for something different

Mentioned it before but worth bringing up again - I have a friend who was ANA and has now settled in Canada. He said the movie represented some of the issues of the country quite well with the double dealing and such.  He liked the movie, romantic storyline aside.

Infanteer said:
Shame I missed that bit;  I also gave up after about 10 minutes.  ::)

I think Paul Gross peaked with "Men With Brooms." 

Back