• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Will You Vote

As of today, November 30, 2005 how will you vote.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
redleafjumper said:
The Liberal party is one of the most regional there is except for the BQ.   Strong in Ontario, weak to non-existant in Quebec, BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba.  
This is the scenario that I recall from the Conservatives after our last election. Strong in the West, especially Alberta, but weak to non-existant in Quebec, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces.
redleafjumper said:
They conservatives have a much broader national representation, except that they are weak in Quebec.    Really all of the federal parties are more and more regionally based, that's fallout from the Mulroney - Lucien Bouchard break-up.
From the East Coast, that's not what I'm seeing and hearing. I was a strong 'C' prior to the merge of the parties and their morphing into what they are today. Now, I'm not so sure. The Leader and some of his high profiler's have made some pretty silly remarks, with their East coasters don't like to work statements, anti-same sex marriage drivel etc and a lot of other things that I consider when walking into the booth to place my vote. Their lack of a clear cut and viable Defense Policy also worries me, especially when they allow ex-Generals whom I consider to be way out of the loop by today's standards to continue blabbing. Until they fix up that situation and get a grip on those who feel the need to continuosly slap the right coast in the face with ignorant/ill-thought out remarks...I fear my vote may be swinging as well. Stand there and insult us, a very proud segment of this country, and then turn around and ask us to support you in office? It just doesn't quite make sense to me.
redleafjumper said:
I just donated $100 to my favourite national political party.   I encourage others to belly up and support the party of their choice (especially if it is the one I will be supporting!).  
Maybe...maybe not. They've got a few weeks left to get a grip, pick up their socks and convince me. Tonight, I'm still waiting.

UberCree said:
Here is one retard. ::)
I do not agree with 100% of the party's policies (who would with any party), but I do think that they are a viable option for voters.   In fact 5% of Canadians would agree, which means they SHOULD be included in national debates.   How else can people point out how ludicrous their policies are....    Why not include them in national debates.... (sorry the questioan mark on my keyboard does not work, which is why the original poll has no question mark).
Once they get more mainstream voters they will lose their looniness on some issues and become more moderate.   For example their belief in 'non-violence' defies logic.   They need public debate to realize this.    HOWEVER, Canada needs to move away from a way of thinking that exploits the earth and encourages consumption to a more holistic model... for our long term health.   Their policies supporting preventative health care, proportional representation, lowering of corporate taxes and increasing gas and other 'harmful' consumption taxes make sense in my eyes.  

How about being a little more realistic? Only a "retard" would think that their policies are implementable without causing harm to Canada and its economy. I thought specific personal attacks like the one you just made towards me are against the new rules you were suppose to read. . . I'm sure an admin will get on that. . .

Badbird,

You've referred to supporters of the Green Party as "retards" twice now - even though you dropped the good debate on this thread to a low level, I saw nothing in Ubercree's response to fit your claim of an attack.  Rocks, glass houses and whatever.

How other Canadians decide to use their vote is up to them, and your use of the term "retard" twice now is unacceptable.  Drop it down a notch or five or you'll get an introduction to the Warning system and the Army.ca jumpmaster.

Keep it clean.

BadBird said:
How about being a little more realistic? Only a "retard" would think that their policies are implementable without causing harm to Canada and its economy. I thought specific personal attacks like the one you just made towards me are against the new rules you were suppose to read. . . I'm sure an admin will get on that. . .

Please show me ANY evidence that Green policies would harm Canada's economy in the long run.  Sure I agree it may shift from certain sectors to others, but in the LONG run it would in fact be better for the economy.  Take water for example; If we continue to export and misuse our water resources we will lose out.  Water in the next millenium will be as valuable as oil, yet we are wasting it en masse.  We should be treating water as a potential commodity that could make Canada the wolrds richest country some day, as Oil makes Saudi Arabia wealthy.  Let's think long term.  Sure we can keep a few more people employed by subsidizing logging, farming and mining operations, but who wins in the long run?
By the way I support the Seal hunt.  I think for the party to oppose it is illogical.  I am still willing to support them however.
"A wise man learns more from a fool than a fool from a wise man."  I read that in a fortune cookie once, but I do not understand it. ;D

I'll be voting Liberal. Harper's about as attractive to me as a herpetic sore on my eye. The Sponsorship Scandal and everything associated with it stinks, but I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face and, lacking any viable alternative, I'll stick with the Libs.

SoF said:
Yeap I checked out that site earlier today; LOL the "Marijuana Party", don't they think we have bigger concerns than de-criminalzing pot???

It's a protest party - it's not actually there to be elected.

Glorified Ape said:
I'll be voting Liberal. Harper's about as attractive to me as a herpetic sore on my eye. The Sponsorship Scandal and everything associated with it stinks, but I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face and, lacking any viable alternative, I'll stick with the Libs.

Care to elaborate by citing policy or would you prefer to stick with a pedantic personal attack as your primary justification?

Matthew.  :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Care to elaborate by citing policy or would you prefer to stick with a pedantic personal attack as your primary justification?
I'm pretty sure it's called an "opinion".  In any case, this isn't an election about policy - the Liberals occupy the center and the Conservatives are doing their best to make policy to try to get a piece of it.  This election (as with most others) is about who voters feel will best govern the country: the Liberals, who suffer under a shadow cast by a 10-year-old scandal that was throughly investigated by a commission named by a Liberal government, or the Conservatives, whose caucus features no federal and very little provincial/municipal-level governing experience.  The "scary" thing about the Conservative Party isn't Harper, but that Harper is the brightest light on an otherwise very dim string of bulbs.  Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding!  It galls me to imagine someone with so little to recommend him cruising to a parliamentary seat on the back of a backlash against the Liberals.

hamiltongs said:
I'm pretty sure it's called an "opinion".   In any case, this isn't an election about policy

I don't think the tone and focus of the entire campaign can be ascertained yet. So far, it HAS been about policies, namely the Conservative proposals on tax relief and child care, and the Liberal and NDP responses to those announcements. I suspect that the first half to 3/4 of the campaign will be focussed on issues, policy, and platforms, and the last couple of weeks on integrity in Government (Conservative-driven), and the Boogey-man factor (Liberal driven).

hamiltongs said:
It galls me to imagine someone with so little to recommend him cruising to a parliamentary seat on the back of a backlash against the Liberals.

Come to BC, where we haven't voted FOR a party in decades in Provincial elections.

Caesar said:
Come to BC, where we haven't voted FOR a party in decades in Provincial elections.

Yea, I think it's like that all over Canada. You vote for the sake of keeping someone else out of power  ^-^.

Quote from Hamiltongs,
Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding!

You are a sanctimonious slice of urine............yea, damn him for being a hard working small business owner who also helps the environment by making sure things get reused and then, if no good, get recycled.

Duck, your high horse is approaching some trees.......

I'd welcome a small businessman if it meant one less lawyer in Parliament...

So what should the prerequisite occupation be in order to be elected MP?  We know it isn't soldier, sailor or airman.

Glorified Ape said:
You Sir, should cut off your nose, cause you can't see anything past it. There are 2 viable alternatives. Both the Consv and NDP have ideas how they can run this country better then the past goverments of the last 12 yrs. No wait, the last yr or so the NDP have been running the country...so the Liberals could hold gov't.

hamiltongs said:
The "scary" thing about the Conservative Party isn't Harper, but that Harper is the brightest light on an otherwise very dim string of bulbs.   Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding!   It galls me to imagine someone with so little to recommend him cruising to a parliamentary seat on the back of a backlash against the Liberals.

I guess the fact that the Liberal party spent most of its time trying to get some of those dim bulbs to cross the floor has nothing to do with your opinion.

You know what galls my prairie farmboy guts, is that you city folk can't look past the money and the pretty suits to see that our country has been robbed during the last 10-12 yrs in an effort to retain power. That and over taxing the population so that they can say" Oh look how good we are governing, we have another budget surplus. Now look how generous we are by giving that money back to you." Never mind that thats OUR money to start with.   Last time I checked, governing wasn't supposed to be a For-Profit endevour. Its supposed to be zero balance budgeting, ie income from taxes etc = out going monies.

And while I am at it...name one intiative, name on flicker of leadership that the Liberal party has provided our country in the last decade. OK now name 2 programs failed miserably, wait thats too easy, name 3.

So other then your Ontario media fed opinion that the Conservative party candidates are dim, give us one good reason...just one, why the Conservative Party can not lead this country better then the past Liberal government has?

And I'll even stretch these comments for you two gentlemen to include the NDP, why can't they lead this country better then the past Liberal government has?

Michael Dorosh said:

So what should the prerequisite occupation be in order to be elected MP?   We know it isn't soldier, sailor or airman.
Well, not in the Liberal party...but atleast the Conservatives will entertain your nomination. Too bad Lew didn't win, and there is this guy who I would like to see as our next MND or Min of Foreign Affairs.

Seventeen months ago, retired military pilot Laurie Hawn came within striking distance of taking Edmonton Centre from Anne McLellan, Deputy Prime Minister of Canada and holder of one of only two Liberal seats in Alberta.

Hawn's strong suit is his background -- he retired as a lieutenant-colonel to launch a successful investment career -- and a reputation for integrity at a time when it seems in short supply federally

hamiltongs said:
Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding!   It galls me to imagine someone with so little to recommend him cruising to a parliamentary seat on the back of a backlash against the Liberals.

Ah yes, we can't have one of the great unwashed aspiring to represent his peers in parliament...

::)

A prime example of Liberal arrogance and conceit.

hamiltongs said:
Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding!   It galls me to imagine someone with so little to recommend him cruising to a parliamentary seat on the back of a backlash against the Liberals.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Your battleship awaits you, your Excellency.  :clown:

I can't add too much to armymedic's inspired reply, but I wanted to toss this out:

The "scary" thing about the Conservative Party isn't Harper, but that Harper is the brightest light on an otherwise very dim string of bulbs.  Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding!

Well the Conservative candidate in my riding is a Rhodes scholar with degrees from Oxford and Princeton (..and if that's not enough, he used to play for the Ottawa Roughriders.)

Also:

Christ, the Conservative candidate in my riding owns a scrapyard, and this is an urban riding

Umm.. doesn't that make him something of a small businessman / entrepreneur?  Maybe his self-employment / independence isn't fancy enough for you?  Maybe he should apologize for being such simple little man and step aside.  Surely he couldn't have anything useful to add.  [end scarcasm]  You are bloody arrogant.

edit:
Rangerray:
A prime example of Liberal arrogance and conceit.
Hear hear!

Seems a scrapyard owner would have lots to offer:

The first hand knowledge of how taxes and regulations affect business

An understanding of economic principles like "Supply and Demand"

The ability to balance a chequebook, or read a balance sheet

The ability to talk to people at their own level (i.e. prospecting for customers, dealing with clients)

Hands on environmental knowledge.

Quick, how many of these people can we nominate!

Geeze Arthur: Tom Gosnell used to be able to do all those things too!!

Yeah, but he became a "Full Time" politician.  ::)

One more reason to support term limits!

OR this Scrapyard could be a front for some grizzly things going on "behind closed doors", ie; money laundering! This thought reminds me of "Gone in 60 Seconds"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back