• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get family on board

I was lucky enough to have parents who sort of support me in my decision.  Although I think they only do cause I'm only joining as a reserve.  What they don't know is that eventually I plan on going reg.  As for everyone else they seem to think that like the states we'll be getting in everyone else's issues and so we will always be at war.  Everyone has a conspiracy theory of some sort and thinks joining the army is pretty much like suicide.  I'm a proud  :cdn: and I will be proud to serve my country... and despite everything... I think we as soldiers would make a bigger diffrence then any other job out there.  So I say stay strong and do what you believe is right.

My old man says the army brought out the worst in me and the best in me.  When he says worst, he means the parts of the army that cause new recruits to swear, drink and womanize.  (I'm mostly done with the swearing and womanizing.  :crybaby:)  He also knows that the army has sorted my life right out.  Everything that I am today is directly because of the army.  Just to name a few:  physical fitness, my responsibility, indifference to physical hardship, the ability to get any job done under any circumstances without excuses and my integrity are all valuable life skills that I have taken from the CF.

Don't let yourself be changed by someone else's beliefs.  (Unless that other person is your Platoon Warrant).  You will be a better person for completing your training.

Maybe this will help you out, kmcc.  Here's a story I tell people that don't understand what I do. 

I was going to quit the forces when I was a bitter and jilted corporal.  On a driver course I was on fire piquet with a medic who was born in India.  He was a dentist by trade back home.  He told me some stories.  He had to pay off the cops every morning just to drive to work.  (He was Chinese - they're not treated that well in India).  He never knew of the word "tangerine" before he came to Canada.  His first time in a grocery store he wanted to buy all of the sugar on the shelf, back home they usually have to stock up due to constant shortages.  He had a lot more, but I won't write them all down.  He loved Canada so much, he wanted to give something back, so he signed up. 

I tell people that Canadians as a whole are pretty lucky.  Our society takes care of us pretty well.  We take a lot of our civil liberties for granted.  I feel that protecting the weaker man that can't defend himself is a fitting way to repay some of the benefits that Canadian society bestows on us. 

Then ask the person why they aren't greatful to be Canadian.

ok i no how u feel ppl always make fun of me whenever I go 2 cadets i no its not the same but go ahead join the amry prove them wrong!! trust me just believe in ur self and you will go far
mandi :D :dontpanic:

dq6t9 said:
ok i no how u feel ppl always make fun of me whenever I go 2 cadets i no its not the same but go ahead join the amry prove them wrong!! trust me just believe in ur self and you will go far
mandi :D :dontpanic:
People make fun of Soldiers because they think they are baby-killers, etc etc.. When I was in Cadets, (Queens York Rangers) we were made fun of because they thought we were just pretending to be soldiers... real pain in the ass....

hey guys I'm in the same boat as all you.... but the thing is my parents/entire family has completely disowned me. which i think is worse for me then if the just made negative comments.

like a few things my dad says to me is "how much money r u making" i hate those comments

even my friends don't support me.

BUT all this negativity is just making me wanna do this just to prove everyone wrong

The only person you can stay true to is yourself.. the rest can fall in line and support you, or be damned cause you don't need them. Good luck on joining the CF.

My hat is off to all of you who have shown the courage to make a difficult decision and then stay with what you believed to be right, despite the mockery or discouragement from family or "friends". It is the first test of character: the military will provide you with many more, some of which you cannot even imagine right now.

If it were not for folks like you, we would not have an Army at all. Take a bow!

Cheers.

Hell your chances of going to war in the Reg Force aren't very high anyhow unless you join a few select units

If you want to fight for your country then that's definately the right thing to do  Plus if you join the reserves your odds of going into a war would be small... but not impossible.

Actually, if we look at which units are carrying the lion's share of battle honours in this country, we'll see that they are Reserve units. Even at Medak, that famous event involving 2PPCLI, a very high percentage of the soldiers on the ground were Reservists. There is a formed platoon of Reserve soldiers here on Op Athena, and other Reservists employed as individuals. Given the much increased involvement of the Army Reserve in what we do today, I wouldn't make that assumption with too much certainty.

Cheers.

Is there a certain age you must be on a reserve that if the need should arise, you won't be sent off to war?  If I had to guess, I'd say anyone under 18 wouldn't be allowed to be sent off, then again, you are a member of the Canadian Forces on the reserve, even if you're only 16.  Then again, I know nothing, can someone fill me in...

skura said:
Is there a certain age you must be on a reserve that if the need should arise, you won't be sent off to war?   If I had to guess, I'd say anyone under 18 wouldn't be allowed to be sent off, then again, you are a member of the Canadian Forces on the reserve, even if you're only 16.   Then again, I know nothing, can someone fill me in...

Age is irirrelevant.  You join the CF, they decide you're needed, you go.

I am pretty sure that you have to be at least 18 to volunteer for any deployments, this is because Canada signed the international laws on child soldiers so.... yeah, pretty sure, might be wrong...

Normally soldiers under 18 years of age will not be deployed outside Canada. Technically they are not adults in most provinces. Cheers.

But is there still the possibility that a soldier under 16 years of age could be sent off to war?

There is no way on earth short of WWIII that someone under 18 would be sent off to war. There is no way on earth that someone under 16 would even be a soldier.

QORvanweert said:
There is no way on earth that someone under 16 would even be a soldier.

That was my assumptions getting the best of me again.   I assumed that as long as you were on a reserve and had completed your training, that you were a soldier.

QORvanweert said:
There is no way on earth short of WWIII that someone under 18 would be sent off to war.

So then there is a ppossibility..so small that it probably won't ever happen, but it's still there.

Technically soldiers under 18 would be considered child soldiers which is against the geneva convention so no you won't see a soldier under 18 on tour. This would apply to going to war as well I believe.

Back