• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How The Artillery Works - M777

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This is from the perspective of the US Army but as a civilian I found it incredibly informative.

Although as a Brit I would point out that the scientific basis of field artillery predates Napoleon by the best part of a century. Woolwich, Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers were Warranted on 26 May 1716.

George I Hanover arrived in England on 18 September 1714 and was crowned on 20 October 1714.
The Church of England and the Tories rioted against Hanover, Whigs and Presbyterians from the coronation onwards and continued until the Whigs passed The Riot Act on 1 August 1715. On 27 August 1715 the Stewart sympathisers rose at Braemar in Scotland against the Hanoverians, Whigs and the presbyterian Church of Scotland. The efforts fizzled on 13 November 1715 at Sherrifmuir. The Government started to raise a mobile army of Dragoons and horse drawn artillery.

The Loyal Mob and Presbyterians.

We Gentlemen of the Loyal Mob of Shrewsbury, do issue out this Proclamation to all Dissenters from the Church of England, of what Kind or Denomination soever, whether Independent, Baptists or Quakers: If you, or any of you, do encourage or suffer any of that damnable Faction called Presbyterians, to assemble themselves amongst you, in any of your Conventicles, at the time of Divine Worship, you may expect to meet with the same that they have been treated with. Given under our Hands and Seals the 11th Day of July 1715. God save the King.[14]

Note a bad little introductory video. Aside from the US fire discipline and terminology and a couple of minor inaccuracies, pretty much what goes on in a Canadian troop mission.

🍻

George I Hanover arrived in England on 18 September 1714 and was crowned on 20 October 1714.
The Church of England and the Tories rioted against Hanover, Whigs and Presbyterians from the coronation onwards and continued until the Whigs passed The Riot Act on 1 August 1715. On 27 August 1715 the Stewart sympathisers rose at Braemar in Scotland against the Hanoverians, Whigs and the presbyterian Church of Scotland. The efforts fizzled on 13 November 1715 at Sherrifmuir.

Is this how artillery works?

Is this how artillery works?
No it isn't.

It was a self absorbed grab at an opportunity to reference a bit of history occasioned by a passing reference in an otherwise useful video to a French Bombardier from Corsica. :)

That is pretty well it, although there are variations in the way different artilleries carry out details. Our fire orders are, or used to be anyhow, more abbreviated; we would omit what we consider superfluous terms (like dropping call signs after comms is established in the initial call for fire) in order to shorten the sequence by a second here or there in every transmission. It doesn't sound like much, but it gets rounds on the ground several seconds earlier, and maybe, just maybe, we can save Canadian infantry lives, and kill some bad guys sooner.

BSM offers me magic boom pills. I load magic pills into giant boom stick. Wizards in box tell me to point boomstick towards certain skygods and when to pull my string. I pull string, make magic boom, I repeat as the wizards tell me and BSM gives me more magic boom pills. Everytime I pull my string, gunner is happy.

Depending on the net and who is doing what C/S may or may not get dropped.

Bty or Mortar Pl net, sure because no one else should be chatting during a FM, and it’s a 1:1 relationship at that time.

However not everyone has a direct link - and when multiple folks are getting support by the same FDC/FSCC you can’t drop C/S.

I wasn’t significantly impressed with the video , but probably because I’ve done the gun line, CP, and FOO positions in the CAF and used US Arty and Air overseas.

BSM offers me magic boom pills. I load magic pills into giant boom stick. Wizards in box tell me to point boomstick towards certain skygods and when to pull my string. I pull string, make magic boom, I repeat as the wizards tell me and BSM gives me more magic boom pills. Everytime I pull my string, gunner is happy.
Accurate.

Depending on the net and who is doing what C/S may or may not get dropped.

Bty or Mortar Pl net, sure because no one else should be chatting during a FM, and it’s a 1:1 relationship at that time.

However not everyone has a direct link - and when multiple folks are getting support by the same FDC/FSCC you can’t drop C/S.

I wasn’t significantly impressed with the video , but probably because I’ve done the gun line, CP, and FOO positions in the CAF and used US Arty and Air overseas.
Everybody has to start someplace.

Back