• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How scientifically literate are you? Take the quiz

You answered 35 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 70%.

I got almost every physics question wrong.

You answered 30 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 60%.

ekpiper said:
It didn't seem that long since I was in Chemistry and Physics until I took this!

Now I don't feel so bad.  I never took Chemistry or Physics.  ;D 

You answered 31 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 62%.

No formal or fancy edumacation either....

ME

31/50 - and I only did that well thanks to the mythology hints....

45/50...darned bio questions...karyote?  I still think it's an amoeba!  :mad:

39/50. I can live with that... Stupid Physics!

That site is reallying annoying it locked up my browser half way through and I had to shut down internet explorer.
In concept its a fun little activity but in practice a bit of a time waster.

Also, a real measure of scientific literacy wouldn't depend on so many history facts. Sure I know who, a unit of measure is named after but what is my understanding of that unit of measure and its associated physical phenomena.
To be literate in science is to have well developed reading, writing, math, and logical reasoning skills. 

Here's a few links on the subject for anyone interested;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_literacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_inventory

collinscj043 said:
That site is reallying annoying; it locked up my browser halfway through and I had to shut down internet explorer.
In concept it's a fun little activity but in practice a bit of a time-waster.

Also, a real measure of scientific literacy wouldn't depend on so many historyical facts. Sure I know who, a unit of measure is named after but what is my understanding of that unit of measure and its associated physical phenomena.?
To be literate in science is to have well-developed reading, writing, math, and logical reasoning skills. 

Here's a few links on the subject for anyone interested;:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_literacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_inventory

I totally agree that well-developed writing skills are important.  FTFY.

The site shut down my browser as well, at the 25/32 mark.  If I hadn't done a diploma in applied sciences a few years ago, I'd have scored worse.  Ham radio background helped with the question about ohms.

Some of the questions were broadly useful (if not pleasant), like knowing that -40° is the same in both C and F.  I thought it was a neat survey of general scientific knowledge, & learned a few things along the way.  Too bad about all the pop-ups. 

Just a general FYI, if you are using Chrome / Firefox (which you should, because, technically, they are superior to I.E), there is an ad-on called Ad-Block.
It is free, virus safe, and removes 99.999 percent of all pop ups. Even eliminates the ads on YouTube. I do not know if it is available for IE.

Dkeh said:
Just a general FYI, if you are using Chrome / Firefox (which you should, because, technically, they are superior to I.E), there is an ad-on called Ad-Block.
It is free, virus safe, and removes 99.999 percent of all pop ups. Even eliminates the ads on YouTube. I do not know if it is available for IE.

I'll check that out.  Thanks for the tip. 

Ran out of time.  I was at 27 out of 35.  ;D

42/50.  Clearly I should have spent more time studying astronomy.

50/50, and thank God.  ;D

It's a good review of scientific knowledge of the general kind....

You answered 46 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 92%.

Hurrah! Of course, currently taking science in college full time may have influenced the results somewhat  :nod:

-Edited for spelling. Ironic.

I said:
If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

One of the best signature lines yet.  ;D

I'm still vexed at not knowing that Mars has moons but Mercury doesn't... or was it the other way around...

Back