• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How often will I get relocated if I have a family?

Ditch said:
I have moved my wife six(6) times in my short stint - she has not had any meaningful employment during that time.

I suspected that might be the case.

Ditch said:
I have moved my wife six(6) times in my short stint - she has not had any meaningful employment during that time.

This wife is about to embark on her 15th move in 22 years.  She is a saint - and we are almost on the same page now - she is retired and I am just tired.

sonic said:
- Is there any consideration if she wishes to join forces so she can have a job at the same squadron as me ?

She could join, and the two of you could be posted to opposite ends of the country. Postings to the same base happen, but are not guaranteed.

sonic said:
I have no idea at all about this and what to expect.

Lots of discussion in older threads.

sonic said:
No, just meant if CF helps find civilian spouse some office job or something, as some of the squadrons are in pretty remote locations. It will be a big ask to have her just sit at home and waste her education and career dreams. Looking at,

- what might be the options available for my wife ?
- if she has a job in another city is there any facility/compensation provided so we can see each other more often ?
- Is there any consideration if she wishes to join forces so she can have a job at the same squadron as me ?

I have no idea at all about this and what to expect.

The military does NOT help the spouse find a job directly, even when posted to a semi isolated or isolated post.
I was a military spouse (for 15 years prior to joining) and an army brat before that(for 20 yrs). All my jobs I got on my own.
There is some consideration given to dependents, like a bonus point in your interview. But it doesn't guarantee you any kind of employment. The MFRC does try and help out, with resume writing and networking classes.
In those isolated postings (I'm speaking of Goose Bay and Suffield), the jobs open to civilians on base are few and heavily competed for. Usually postings to those places don't have a whole lot of off-base opportunities either. Few employers are willing to hire someone who will be gone again in 1 to 3 years. The nearest town in Suffield is 30-45 min away, and for Goose Bay (not counting Happy Valley) the nearest town is 5-6 hours away.
I worked at a lot of Walmarts, McDonald's, and Tim Horton's over those years. I did manage to get a job at Canex one year. It's tough because you aren't necessarily guaranteed anything from your previous employer, even if you stay with the same company. I switched Walmarts and all I retained was seniority (for vacation days). Salary couldn't be guaranteed since I was switching provinces. Very frustrating for the spouse. But I knew he was military when I married him, and that this is what happens to military couples.

If you ask to go IR, and live without her for that posting, just know that it may not be approved, and you would only get to go "home" once or twice a year at best.
Even if your spouse joins, you will be separated for a number of years while she finishes her training. Mine retired 4 years after I joined, and we were separated for the first 3 years of my career due to training and his posting. And when you do get posted, your career manager and your spouse's have to find a base where there is room for both of you (doesn't always happen). They try, but the needs of the military come first.
Good luck!

Hi my boyfriend has applied for a voluntary change of trade and I’m applying for nursing school. I wanted to know if there are certain trades that are less dangerous, have more bases throughout the country, are more in demand, and will make you relocate less frequently?

Hard navy trades usually go to one coast or the other and stay there after training. If you are hoping to not move very often, that's your best bet.
The point of moving is to expand your experience, which allows you to get promoted.

Not sure what you mean by less dangerous -- all trades have combat potential except padre. Padres don't fight, even though they will deploy.

Support trades would probably be the best bet for most bases across the country. Clerks, supply techs, med techs, MSE Ops, veh techs, MPs, etc are posted to just about every base in Canada.

As for in demand trades, your best bet is to talk to recruiting.

Perhaps Musician.

A trained musician, once qualified can earn more than $60k.

Regards
G2G

paleomedic said:
Support trades would probably be the best bet for most bases across the country. Clerks, supply techs, med techs, MSE Ops, veh techs, MPs, etc are posted to just about every base in Canada.

What's a clerk?? [:D

Sorry, I meant HRAs ans FSAs.
Paper pushers extraordinaire.
Not being facetious... I absolutely love my clerks at my unit, so happy they are there and I no longer have to do my own claims, etc!

Back