• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

how often can we call home durring training?

familyman

Inactive
Reaction score
just wondering how often can we use the phones in training,and is it like 20 guys and one phone?or can we bring our cell phones.I know i will find out at my swearing in ceremony but i figured i was here so i will ask. Thank you fellas

you can bring your cell phone but a lot pf cell phones don't work on base. You can usually call home on any off time you have which depends on your course. We had about 4 pay phones for the whole building but it depends on where your going

My husband just completed Basic in St. Jean two weeks ago and I can tell you that he called me every day except when they were in the field.  Sometimes the conversations only lasted 5 minutes sometimes it was an hour it all depended on his work load that evening.  There were plenty of phones everywhere.

His cell phone worked there but it was too costly to use, 0.25 a minute.  I noticed that you were from NS which is where we are from.  What I did to save us money was contacted Aliant and ordered their long distance plan and ordered a Call Me Card which he used to call us.  This way he was using our long distance plan. 

Hope that this answers your question.

was it pretty easy for him to get a phone,or was it a free for all..Thanks for the reply by the way.

It's not always easy to use the CSM phone with many other ppl wanting to call home as well. What my mother did was just get a calling card and used the cell phone, that way she could talk longer and have some semblance of privacy.

Calling cards don't work on the Rogers Wireless system, just thought you would like to know. They will soak you with the charges.

What I did was switched my Rogers number to a st. jean/montreal number.  All my family/friends had the after 6:00 free plan.  I would call them, let it ring twice and they would call back and it was free for me because I had unlimited weekend and evening minutes, which are the only time you really get to call.  If you buy calling cards the better deal is at the canex rather than the vending machines around the mega.  I also recommend that you purchase a headset so you have your hands free and can polish boots, iron or clean your weapon.  I had no problem with reception, but I think it depends on where you are in the building.

Rogers also has a Canadian One Rate plan, it makes all your minutes LD, so you can call from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada.

That doesn't seem like a very good plan... how much is the LD charge per minute on that plan?

It's not a per minute charge MikeM, it's a plan. For example you pay $30 per month and you get 150 minutes to call anywhere in Canada. At the regular rate of $0.25 per min you would pay $37.50 for the same amount of minutes PLUS your regular plan charges. So say you had a plan that was 200 weekday mins with unlimited evening and wknds and you made 150 mins worth or LD calls you would pay $57.50 without the Canadian One Rate. Trust me MikeM I used to be a customer service manager for Rogers Wireless, Cable and Internet, I know all their stuff!

We had the long distance plan through Rogers and it only gave us 120 minutes at a rate of $12.00 per month.  After that every minute was $0.25.  It take no time at all to use up the 120 minutes.

With Aliant I pay $27.00 per month for 1200 minutes.  It was a no brainer for me.  The Call me card is free and works like a calling card.  It is by far the most economical route to go.

There was never fighting over the phones when my husband was there.

for my BMQ it was about every other day or so
but thats because we we wher always bizzy and they took our cellphones for the first bit.
we shard 8 phones in the lobby with another course and you did't have to waite too much, but a heave coarse load like summer you may want to get a pay as you go phone.

my wife and I are in the process of getting cell phones.  Which companies have the best reception in the MEGA (ie if I am inside polishing boots, will I get a good signal with Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc.?)

hoote said:
my wife and I are in the process of getting cell phones.  Which companies have the best reception in the MEGA (ie if I am inside polishing boots, will I get a good signal with Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc.?)

Inside the MEGA... none? ;)

Well, you get some reception close to windows, but what side of the building your bed is on is a crapshoot so don't hold your breath.

I'd reckon Bell gets the best reception, but their plans are murder. Try Virgin, they use Bell towers but are cheaper and don't commit you to 3 year contracts.

just wondering how often can we use the phones in training,and is it like 20 guys and one phone?or can we bring our cell phones.I know i will find out at my swearing in ceremony but i figured i was here so i will ask. Thank you fellas

Any time you can manage. I know there was usually a line up for the 2 phones in the barracks on my courses this summer. Cell phones? You sure can. Be prepared to have it confiscated if the staff deems necessary though.

My boyfriend is almost completed his basic training in St.Jean, and I was scared that I wasn't going to talk to him. Even though there is only two phones per floor, he always found time to call home.  Like one said, sometimes the conversations vary, from 5 minutes to an hour. I like when he is on fire picket, we talked for hours that night!  ;D
Anyways, remember to keep in touch with back home - i know it has helped a lot !

Back