• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Important Is Flexible Work? 43% Choose It Over Pay Raise

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
How Important Is Flexible Work? 43% Choose It Over Pay Raise

In a world where no one seems to have enough time, the ability to arrange it as you choose has become increasingly valuable.  That’s the clear message from a recent global survey: 43% of respondents would choose flexibility over a pay raise.

The survey, which included 800 employees at all organizational levels, was conducted by Unify, a communication software and services firm.  “Employees are serious about flex work,” said Bill Hurley, Unify’s Chief Marketing Officer. “In addition to nearly half of all employees preferring flex work over a pay raise, nearly one-third said they would change employers if offered flexible work elsewhere… Business leaders who ignore the Flex Work Imperative could find themselves suffering the loss of their best employees.”

Significantly, the study also notes that “it is not an ‘all-or-nothing’ situation. Many employees would be satisfied with a few days per week working from home; or the ability to work in the office for part of the day, and then finish at home.”

While employees’ desire for increased flexibility is nothing new, the fact that so many employees appear to value it more highly than increased compensation is an interesting twist.  One that management would be well advised to bear in mind.

Management implications – So what does this mean for management?  At a macro level, senior managers naturally needs to be mindful of the character and desires of their own work force – plus of course their own operational requirements – when considering, designing and offering flexible work arrangements for their organization.  But if executed thoughtfully, increased flexibility can be a valued and – equally importantly – cost-effective benefit.  One that helps retain talent.

At a micro level, individual managers should be attuned to the needs of their own staff, and recognize the motivational value and appeal that scheduling flexibility has.  At the same time, increasingly remote management poses challenges of its own, as many companies, most notably and publicly Yahoo YHOO +1.26%, have discovered.  It places additional demands on management to ensure that both employee goals and results are extremely clearly defined and delivered.

My own experience?  I managed for many years in what I’d call a semi-flexible work environment.  Scheduling flexibility for employees was a possibility but not a right, driven by the operational needs of a department and subject to the approval of an individual manager.  My overall takeaway was that offering flexibility, even in seemingly small matters (“Can I leave at 2 p.m. on Fridays in the spring to go to my daughter’s softball games?”) was always highly appreciated and very good for employee morale.  At the same time it undeniably placed more responsibility on individuals managers to be sure they stayed on top of things and that the time away from work was being used, or made up, effectively.  And to be 100% sure they were still getting the results the job required, even when work was accomplished in a less predictable and time-bound manner.

But that, after all, is the job of management.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/victorlipman/2014/10/03/how-important-is-flexible-work-43-choose-it-over-pay-raise/

flex hours make a world of difference. All engineering jobs I've held in (microelectronics) have had flex hours.
It probably has something to do with annual salary over per hour rate. When you're expected to produce something by a deadline, regardless of the hours required, it's assumed you work when you can, so the employer returns the favor by allowing quite a bit of flexibility in hours worked at the office.
Now, with remote work become more and more common, flex hours take on a whole new meaning.

We have someone interested in working for us, a bit of a raise, but we don't have much in flex hours, basically earned days off or 7.5 between 7-5. She teleworks in her current position and that is a non-starter for us due to our files and public interaction.

We usually give people a chance to take 'unpaid days off' now and then. It's not part of their annual vacation, but it gives them the flexibility to go to weddings or other events that they don't want to spend a vacation day on.

Yes, I insinuated that weddings are not 'worth' a vacation day  :D

In one section I worked with we flex hours in that we could pick our start times as long as we were there for the required time length of 8 hours and our time included the afternoon meeting period.  8 to 4 worked best for me, my direct supervisor was 0630 to 1430 and another coworker started at 1100.  Worked great, we were all happy and work never suffered because of it. 

My current employer allows me to work remotely from Canada for 25% of the time, 75% of the time in the US.

This is the result of a change in my domestic situation in 2013, and the owners valuing what I do and the input I provide, and not wanting me to leave the company. We agreed to try it for a year, and so far it has worked well.

And having stayed on, I may now have the opportunity to move back to Canada on a permanent basis to head up an expansion of our company in the Canadian market, our company having been recently bought by a multinational, which also owns our main competition.

So flex hours and remote work have worked out well for me, but mainly because I have an employer who believes that family is important, and recognizes hard work and effort.

We're on a flex schedule where I work. 8.04 hrs a day means we get every third Friday off (Sweet deal if you parlay it into a four day weekend ;-) ) We also have "core" hours in the office as well. Everyone is here from 0900 - 1500 but you can start and/or leave any time you wish as long as those hours and timings are met.

The Australian Defence Force has something called DREAMS, which essentially means that you can work on unclassified stuff remotely through your home computer.  They've been very proactive with Flexible Working Arrangements via DREAMS or other methods (using an unused office at another base, for example) and it seems to be working out for the office-centric trades (Admin, executives, etc.) 

I'm in an office setting right now, and everyone is fairly flexible for start/stop times.  Sometimes I drop my daughter off at school, so come in a bit later, but as long as the work gets done, no one minds.  So I'm free to show up at some point between 7 and 9, leave eight hours later, and adjust my work day around whatever is going on in my life.  It's been awesome.  A few times I was also able to work from home via DVPNI when my daughter was sick.

I think that's definitely something I would look for in any future employement; it seems pretty minor, until I was able to try it.  It's an intangible benefit, but I would definitely say it's a big QOL increase.  Won't work at every job/unit, I think that unless there is an operational or production related reason, it should be considered.

I couldn't go back to a rigid work schedule after having worked with flex hours.
I think back to my first engineering job, where the receptionist would mark down in her log book anytime you showed up even a minute late and you would get a stern warning after 2 times, and disciplinary action after 3. Wow.  I never dealt with the public or had any sort of appointments so it felt unnecessary to have such stringent work hours. Although they had something right: internet access was restricted to pre 0830, lunch and after 1700. Back in 2000.

Back