• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How hard is it to get in the RCMP?

Da_man

Reaction score
Since there arent any diplomas required, what are they looking for in a new recruit?  Having dropped out of college i was thinking I was thinking of applying next year.  Will my experience in the army reserve make a difference?

Life experience is one of the biggest factors the RCMP are looking for.  Your time in the Reserves will help, particularly if you have been on a tour.

The process is lengthy although it is relatively painless. They will let you know if you are what they are looking for. Just keep your nose clean and write the exam. Average process is 8-12mos out West. Dont know about the east. Farther east you go the more competitive it is.

Im in the final stages. Its gone much easier than my CT to the reg force which was one nightmare after another.

It's a competitive process and they select the top applicants.  Everything helps .... military service, post secondary education, community service, good credit history etc.  Be prepared to explain why you dropped out of college.  Not that it's a bad thing, you just need to justify your actions and be honest with them.  It's all part of your life experience.

Good Luck,

san

I posted this in another forum:

I'll tell ya, a guy I knew worked as a bartender in my hometown. He was - to be blunt - not very bright (I'm just saying we thought that he didn't have the smarts to be a cop). He was also over weight by the RCMP's standards by 30 pounds. However he desperately wanted to get in. My mother was going out with an RCMP CPL, with 30 years experience who tried to be nice and encouraging, but said that he would never make it behind his back.

So he tried the Atlantic Police Academy RPAT - Failed.
Then he tried the RCMP RPAT - Failed
Next year he tried the RPAT again - passed. But he failed the PARE test because he was too heavy and didn't finish the course. However, they gave him a break and said that if he could lose the weight within 4 months, he would get another shot and they would keep his file open. So he exercised his *** off during that time and got ripped. So he passed the PARE the second time.

At the time, they didn't have the polygraph - just the interview. He passed that. His personality profile showed high judgement, committment and integrity. Great! So he gets the call in November to leave for Depot. He accepts. What sucks is that his wife just gave birth a month before. When he gets there, he's not prepared for the regimen and calls home feeling homesick. A lot of people drop out within the first couple of weeks because of this reason. He stuck it out though.

Remember when I told you that he wasn't the smartest tool in the shed? That no one (including myself) thought he would get to Depot much less make it through the intensive six months? Well he did. He graduated top of his class. he had first choice as to where he wanted to be posted. At the time, they were sending people to BC and Manitoba. He chose Whistler. All he does now is chase around rich kids. Best f**king posting in the country, especially for a new recruit. So now he went from making $9.50/hr + tips as a barkeep to making $70K+/year. Good for him!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you keep trying and are really committed to becoming an RCMP officer, you can do it. And now is the best time to join. They are screaming for people. You think the military is crying... The RCMP is desperate. Yes they are not going to lower the bar just because they need people. They want good people. Committed people. I know police officers who tell me the same thing - it's better to join in your late 20s or early 30s. They want people who are mature and sure of themselves. Those coming straight out of high school don't have life skills yet (no offense, but it's true for 99% of the HS grads out there). And post-secondary education is a must these days.

I hope you realise that this topic is 3 years old?

UnrulyCanuck:
  Do not repeat a post in a different thread. Its contrary to the Forum Guidelines which I trust you have read? If not I would advise doing so.

Milnet.Ca Staff.

Back