• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Does the Pay Work?

johnny_boy

Inactive
Reaction score
In regards to the primary reserve:

I know that for less than 6 hours of work, you get half of the full days pay. But how does it work for more than six? For example if I work 7 hours, am I paid for a full day? If I work 12 hours am I paid for a full day or two full days?

And more specificly, I'm in basic right now on the weekends, it goes from Friday at 1830 to Sunday 1830, and obviously we're up at 0530 and working until 1800 or 1900. Since that is 13 hours of work is that just one full day or two? Just curious as to when the "days" or hours roll over.. I have yet to be paid for basic so I don't have a pay stub to look at and figure this out on my own..

Thanks

1 day is anything more then 6 hours and anything less then 24 hours.

For each 24 hour period that you work (Read: That your head does not hit the pillow in your own bed), you are entitled to 1 days pay + 1 count of TD pay (Temporary duties pay, around $15 I believe).

So, if you got work on Friday evening, sleep on a cot Friday night/Saturday night, and go home Sunday evening, you're entitled two full days, one half day, and two counts of TD (A little over $200, before taxes)

Oh, and if you're only working until 1800, then tell your instructors you need to work harder. ;)

Just a Sig Op said:
1 day is anything more then 6 hours and anything less then 24 hours.

For each 24 hour period that you work (Read: That your head does not hit the pillow in your own bed), you are entitled to 1 days pay + 1 count of TD pay (Temporary duties pay, around $15 I believe).

So, if you got work on Friday evening, sleep on a cot Friday night/Saturday night, and go home Sunday evening, you're entitled two full days, one half day, and two counts of TD (A little over $200, before taxes)

Sig Op

Are you a Pay Clerk or RMS Clerk?  I am positive that all your information above is wrong except your explanation of a 24 hour day.  Since when did a person in the Reserves start getting TD for parading at an Armourie or while on an Exercise?  Your Weekend times may also be wrong.  My math gives 48 hrs for a weekend.

GW

No, I'm not a RMS clerk, so I may be wrong, but I did a weekend BMQ, that's the pay we got... we signed in for 1900 on Friday night, 0001 Saturday, and 0001 Sunday.

You get TD because you're staying at the armoury over night, but no FOA as you're not in the field.

And for clarification, because I think this may be where the confusion is, you don't get TD for 23 hours, 59 minute, and 59 seconds, you've actually got to be away from home. Having to stay in the armoury over night while on BMQ is considered away from home...

You signed a sheet for TD? Was this a long sheet of paper where you wrote in your name/SN/the times that you signed in, then initialed and signed it?

If so, that's a pay sheet. You sign that to get paid, says you attended the training night. Not directly related to TD. TD is added by the clerks later.

If your on Class A, on course and assuming you remain at the armouries for the weekend:

Fri - 18:30 to 23:59 = 5 1/2 hrs (<6) = 1/2 days pay
Sat - 00:01 - 23:59 = 24 hr (>6) = 1 full days pay
Sun - 00:01 - 17:00 = 17 hr (>6) = 1 full days pay

Any other time you sign in if it's 6 or under = 1/2 day, no matter when you signed in. If it's over 6, it's a full day no matter when you signed in. A new day starts at midnight.

As to TD, if you're in your home Garrison and being provided meals and lodging you shouldn't be getting TD.

Yes, any period over 24 hours that you are not allowed to go home you are entitled to TD.  This includes an EX or crse that you need to stay at the armoury.  Apparently you can find this on page 23 of the CFTDI.  I am a Clk, but had never heard of this, so I asked another who does the Fin side of the house.

recceguy said:
As to TD, if you're in your home Garrison and being provided meals and lodging you shouldn't be getting TD.

Yes you do, you just don't get full TD (Meaning Lodging, Meals, Incidentals, and whatever else).

You still get the incidentals portion of TD, which isn't much, around $12 per day for the first 30 days I believe.

OK, incidentals I'll buy. Just can't ever remember recieving it for staying in house, at home station. Something I'll have to check into tonight, seeing as we'll be running a couple of courses shortly.

No, I know I signed a pay sheet and a TD sheet. I'm not that clueless guys :p

I am able to tell the difference between the two as they didn't look anything alike plus our course warrant said "Sign this sheet so you get money for sleeping." and then explained what TD was and said it was only 10 or 12 bucks or something but "Money is always good."

I was just curious originally as to if 24 hours was a full day... because I just figure 76 dollars (Basic private pay rate I think) dividied by 14 hours or so is way less than minimum wage :(  However in the scheme of things I guess it does balance out for those days you work 7 hours and get paid a full day or a similar scenario.

Regarding minimum wage, if you're in this solely for the money, get out now. It's that simple...

That being said, I'll say the same thing to you that I've said to other people. If you're working in a minimum wage job, most aren't going to let you work more then 30 hours a week anyway, or they'd have to start with benefits, and they definitely wouldn't let you work more then 40 hours a week, as they'd have to pay you over time, cheaper just to hire somone else.

I used to work in retail (Actually, at a major video retailer, starts with a B and ends with a lockbuster). I make *more* from a weekend exercise now then I would in a full 35 hour week working in retail for minimum wage. To say nothing of how much I make doing courses and callouts, or even just working during the week doing class A.

If you're thinking that it's ilegal to pay us that much, no because you signed a contract agreeing to that wage.

The pay is good. 200$ for a weekends work is damn good. And don't even consider BMQ "work".

I'm not saying it's a bad deal. I was just curious as to the technicality of it all when it exceeded 12 hours.

On another note, I too also left Blockbuster for the reserves. Store 07341 representing! :)

The technicality is that it's a salary, not an hourly wage. If I work 1 hour, I get like $260 an hour, I can work up to 16 hour days (as aircrew) and that's only about $16 an hour. It's just the way salary works.

Cheers

Back