• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do you like to travel

opcougar

Inactive
Reaction score
Now this looks like a lot more fun than being stuck in a middle seat!

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/12/dubai-via-jetpack/

If you just want your mind blown, start the video at 6:15.

This is all the work of a Swiss guy, Yves Rossy, who has been improving his prototype jet wing since 2004. You may have seen him on TV testing earlier versions, but as far as I know they haven't even attempted to get these approved for commercial sale anywhere. This model looks incredible, but I suppose it's crazy dangerous in spite of how impressive it looks. They have to land by parachute when the fuel runs out, since there's no other practical way. I wonder what it took to get permission to fly over the city and do a close fly-by of a building? (That's the Burj Khalifa, currently the tallest building in the world.)

There are some answers to questions from the X-Dubai team in the Youtube comments, and you can find out more at http://www.jetman.com.

From their web site:

A professional pilot, Yves Rossy sought to move out of the cockpit in the continuous pursuit of flight through innovation and ingenuity to achieve mankind’s dream of engine-powered flight for humans. Drawn initially to the world of free fall, he experimented with ways to increase his flight time and enhance his ability to select his trajectory, which introduced him to sky surfing and wingsuiting.

Still not satisfied, he developed his first real wing comprising a rigid harness integrated into inflatable wing panels that he strapped to his back. The next step was towards maintaining and gaining altitude by improving efficiency with a rigid wing and adding propulsion.

Yves chose to go with model jet turbines, at first two of them, allowing him to maintain level flight in 2004, and then four engines in 2006. Till now, Yves Rossy has conducted winged flights over the Swiss Alps, the English Channel, the Grand Canyon and other iconic locations.

Back