• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do I transfer to Reserves from Reg force? Voluntary Release?

Drifter

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day,

I am not sure how to go about this,  I would like to transfer to a reserve unit in my home town and attend post secondary starting next September. I have considered Voluntary Release but am not sure how the process works. I am coming up on 36 months on my first contract, the trade is in the red,  I am on IR and there is some family stress at home. Reasons for looking at the reserve unit it I would like to keep my foot in the door so to speak, I may ask to transfer back to reg force at a later time in my life.

When I talk to my C.o.C. I would like to have as much information as I can gather,

what sorts of information should I include in the memo etc.
I accept that it will likely be 6 months before I am able to leave

I do enjoy this job and will likely try to come back at a later time, just that at the moment the lifestyle is not compatible with my family
I have very mixed feelings about this but I am choosing my family first

any advice welcome

If your on your first TOS, then you have to do the full term.  To do a CT to the Res F, you would first need to contact the unit that you want to join and "if" they have an open position and "if" they are willing to hire you, then the CT process is part of your release procedures.

You can't just openly transfer from Reg to PRes.  When there is no position to transfer into, you can only go Reg F to Supp Res.

Completing the first TOS hmm.. sorry was under the impression that after 36mths It was possible.
Did speakl to the reserve unit in question and yes they do have positions for me, but the Cpl I spoke with didnt know how the CT process worked.

The college program application deadline is the 1st of feb, for the fall semester, so before i paid the application fee I wanted to make sure I could attend.
I spoke to my Mcpl about this and he sugested there might be a way I could take a sabatical (leave without pay)?

QuietJim said:
Completing the first TOS hmm.. sorry was under the impression that after 36mths It was possible.
Did speakl to the reserve unit in question and yes they do have positions for me, but the Cpl I spoke with didnt know how the CT process worked.

I may be wrong regarding the TOS but I will look it up when I am back in the office.  You might want to talk to the Res Unit Recruiter or the Ops and Trg WO.  They should be able to help.  Basically, as far as I understand the process, if the unit wants to hire you, they will provide you with a position number and you in turn provide that to your local Release Section and things just sort of go from there.

QuietJim said:
I would like to transfer to a reserve unit in my home town and attend post secondary starting next September.

Some discussions you may find helpful.

CT ing from Reg to PRes 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107745.0

The other component transfer- - Reg to PRes 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/97992.0

Component Transfer Reg to PRes 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/101161.0

Reg To Res Transfers?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36582.0/nowap.html

CT from Reg to Resv 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/63083.0

Yes.  Release section is your best resource.

When I went through this process it was in association with a VR and it was also largely due to family stress at home.  I don't know about restrictions on a first contract, but if you have the mental health nurse at your local MIR to do up a report and recommend early release and that will grease the wheels substantially.

When you do up the VR with release section, there is a part of the process where they will ask you about transferring to the reserves.  If you can get a position number from the unit you wish to join, that will go in there.

I take it you cannot be posted closer to home or get a position at a recruiting centre or as Reserve support staff?

Good luck.

roxie.roller said:
When I went through this process it was in association with a VR and it was also largely due to family stress at home. 

When you do up the VR with release section, there is a part of the process where they will ask you about transferring to the reserves.  If you can get a position number from the unit you wish to join, that will go in there.

Good luck.

I went through the same thing but when I mentioned that I wanted to VR, NO BODY ever mentioned that I could CT from there into a res unit until I was put on PAR and by then I was told that it was too late. So I'm trying to rejoin as a reservist and they're telling me that my BMQ (I am a graduate by the way) needs to be redone and that I need to join the supp-res and transfer into the pri-res. Any words of wisdom?

Waters81 said:
I went through the same thing but when I mentioned that I wanted to VR, NO BODY ever mentioned that I could CT from there into a res unit until I was put on PAR and by then I was told that it was too late. So I'm trying to rejoin as a reservist and they're telling me that my BMQ (I am a graduate by the way) needs to be redone and that I need to join the supp-res and transfer into the pri-res. Any words of wisdom?

Don't be posting the same question all over the board.
--STAFF--

recceguy said:
Don't be posting the same question all over the board.
--STAFF--

My apologies, it just seemed as though these individuals are still in the forces looking to transfer where as I was not aware that it was an option. Either way, doesn't matter, I'll stop reiterating questions. Again, my apologies.

Eye In The Sky said:
Yes.

1.  If you are released, you don't have a MOSID, rank, or unit.  A la your profile.

Fair enough, consider it changed.

Back