• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do I OT to pilot?

kolkim

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering about OTiing to become a Pilot Officer. I am currently finishing basic to become AWS, and I didn't know I could apply for pilot without a university degree or the course of action at the time. I will talk to a career manager when I am finished basic but I'd like some guidance/help beforehand. I had a 80%+ average in high school, and in the CFAT I scored high enough for most trades however I didn't ask about Pilot. I know they are hiring as there is a platoon with 32 pilots, and when I am done my Basic it will be April the new fiscal year if that makes a difference on open spots. So I'm wondering how to OT, what criteria I must meet and my chances of success, and if you think it's too late to transfer for me.

You can't "OT" to Pilot as an NCM the same way you can OT from Supply Tech to AVN Tech.

Put in a request to speak to a BPSO thru your course staff.  That is Step #1.  Go from there and don't expect to be given a high priority on moving it forward.  :2c:

So if it isn't really an OT, is there a different term for it? And trying to become a pilot will now be harder because I am 'already' an NCM?

I just read about UTPNCM, which sounds like what I need to do however it says "The UTPNCM is intended for members who have displayed personal qualities and job performance indicative of officer potential" and I haven't had the chance to display these qualities as I'm still in Basic. Is the UTPNCM my only option?

It isn't an option.  You have to be atleast Cpl (Substantive) to apply.

PSO will have official info for you.  Don't expect it to happen quickly or at all while at CFLRS.

Would I have good chances at UTPNCM when I am a corporal? By the way, if I cannot become a pilot I am 100% fine with my trade as is, It is just my dream to be a pilot but I will not quit if I can not become one.

I'm told it's a very competitive program, even more than ROTP, but don't quote me on that. Your other option would be to leave once your obligatory service period is up, and try to re-enlist under ROTP. But be aware that pilot is a very competitive trade, and there's no guarantee you'll be enlisted again. I had a recruiter tell me that some pilot applicants had high 90s average and didn't make it, so marks aren't everything.

kolkim,

It is EXTREMELY difficult to get into Pilot, especially when you are already an NCM.  Current intake for pilots in a year is over 100 per year, but the majority of that is DEO at the moment.  The spots for UTPNCM are very, very limited, if at all; when I was selected there were two, and I don't think there are any for the upcoming year.  If it's what you REALLY want to do, you have two options:

1) VR, go to university, and be a rockstar through your educational institution.  Play sports, get involved with student organizations, get as high a GPA as possible.  Get involved in your community with a service club or through some other means.  A technical degree such as in engineering will keep your mind sharp, but is not necessary.  Apply for ROTP during your first two years in university, you would still be eligible for the program during this period.  If you don't get picked up for ROTP, finish your degree and apply DEO.

2) Stick it out with AWS for now.  Take post-secondary courses on the side and get the highest marks you possibly can, they are also prerequisites for the UTPNCM program.  Take advantage of any other professional development opportunities that arise.  Take on extra projects at work if/when they come available, and excel at them.  Jump at any opportunity to take a leadership role with anything, secondary duties can also help with this.  Basically, you will need to walk on water for the next four years to have a remote chance of being selected: you will be in competition with all other UTPNCM applicants across the country for one or two spots.  Read that sentence again, it's no joke.

If you really, really want it it's possible, but you need to be the best.  It took me four years to get selected, and in my last year of applying I competed 5 university courses, ran two major projects in my unit, was the 2I/C of my section, and held three secondary duties.  I also had a couple leadership courses, a few good supervisor reviews, a really strong recommendation from my CO, and an excellent CFAT score to go along with that.  BTW, if your CFAT score didn't open everything for you, take courses to upgrade on your math (I'm guessing that was the weak spot).  You can redo the CFAT exam at the BPSO's office as a part of your application.  After all that you still need to pass Aircrew Selection...

I don't write this to scare you.  I want you to understand what your position is.  UTPNCM is an extremely competitive program to get into, and Pilot is one of the hardest occupations to be selected for within the program.  You would honestly have a better chance of going to university and applying through ROTP...but then you won't have a job now.

If you can't be happy being an Air Weapons Tech, then your choice should be pretty simple.  Don't settle with being an AWS Tech.  But if you can be happy with it, it can be a great job, stick on the route you are on now.  Just don't let yourself feel that you are settling.  Instead, apply yourself fully to the occupation you're in.  Do your best in everything you do, and be happy with what you're doing while you apply for UTPNCM once eligible.  There are definitely no guarantees that you'll be selected even once you're eligible, most quit applying after a few years. 

AWS an honourable and valuable position that directly contributes to the mission, and can be very rewarding in itself, and I believe is now a feeder occupation to Flight Engineer, which you might also find interesting.  Staying in as an AWS Tech has a few advantages in that you're employed, you're in the Air Force, you still have the opportunity to better yourself, and can progress in rank and responsibility while serving.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

Edit: AWS may not be currently eligible as a feeder to FE, but you could always keep your fingers crossed that they'll open it up in the next few years...

Back