• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How come do we have to ask for PT or do it in secret?

Da_man

Reaction score
Right now im half-way trough my SQ.  We were informed  (at least it was new to me)  today that due to new regulations, the staff could not make us do any PT, except for the morning PT.  That means no push-ups, sit-ups, wpns PT or anything during the day.  Even if we want to, we just cant.  The instructor told us that we could do it on our own time if there isnt any instructors around.  What the hell is that?

I don't know the reason for the "regulation", but having just completed weekend BMQ, I can sort of understand. PT is the one type of training that soldiers can carry out on their own time, when they're at home. Maybe military time should be reserved for the training that needs to be fit into the course.

Although that only applies to long PT sessions, not the occasional bunch of push-ups.

God only knows, half of our BMQ/SQ was spent on our faces or running and marching....

That was only a year ago, have things changed again? We may as well start fabricating pink bunny suits for the new recruits now, since they may as well dress as they're going to be forced to train. (A little run-off from the "Pink Fuzzy Infantry" thread, seems fitting)  ::)

Sh0rtbUs said:
God only knows, half of our BMQ/SQ was spent on our faces or running and marching....
Damn Right and that was the best kinda BMQ/SQ!

interesting... just finished weekend 7 of my bmq... and we are still doing remedial PT if the course thinks we need it any time of the day.

If it's not on the schedule it isn't supposed to happen.  This is to ensure that pers aren't injured unnescessarilly.  It all depends on what Training Centre you're at.  In Meaford, I'm pretty sure that push ups between classes, or during class to get the blood flowing is still legal.  However taking the troops on a BFT after working hours to do so maybe not be the best idea.

When I was in Gagetown back in 2000, a policy came down from higher stating that we were not to perform PT that was not "sanctioned" by the CO.  If we did engage in any type of physical activity that was not sanctioned and we became injured to the point of not being able to perform our duties, then we would not be covered by any type of medical disability.

The way I see it, it's just another policy to protect the government from having to dish out a lot money.  If you go for a run on your own time and get hit by a car or fall in a ditch and break your back, your not covered.  This is despite being a soldier 24/7.

In my experience, PT policies seem to be regional more than anything else.  The policies are elaborated not so much to protect the indivdual soldier but to safeguard the government.  This is essentially what is wrong with many of the woes plaguing the CF today.

PJ D-Dog.

The problem is that their is not a coherent national PT policy that applies to reservists.  This is also why PRes do not complete PLQ (Land) Mod 1 - Physical Fitness (it's about how to run a PT session and is taught by the PSP staff).  I wish I could explain why, but I don't know - I suspect in the end it's a money issue (if we don't force them on PT we don't have to pay to fix the broken ones - something like that).

As far as PT during courses goes (again talking PRes here), as some pers have already mentioned, local comd's interpret the regulations that do exist and decide what amount of risk they are willing to take when authorizing PT.  In general there is no time allocated in the Training Plan (TP) as this is one of the things that was cut in making the PRes course shorter than the Reg Force version (the one exception that comes to mind is the SQ TP, which does allocate time for PRes to conduct PT).

What does all this mean?  One thing is that the staff have to find the time to fit PT in.  Another is a PRes can not be failed for poor PT performance since it is not part of the TP (and therefore isn't testable).  I caution those who might be looking for excuses for their poor effort along with their poor performance - you can always fail for attitude.

Anyways, a few thoughts on the issue.

Thats crazy.  I fellt guilty on my DP1 Trade course by the lack of PT/Push ups we did (we had a week and a half without morning PT when we were driving) .....especially after coming off a hardcore BMQ, and even more hardcore SQ...

It is not new.  It is perhaps regional though.  In 1996 at leadership Coy in Pet Pt could only be conducted between 0530 and 0610.  I was there on task this summer and the policy was still in effect.  Extra PT as a corrective measure has been discouraged for a long time so If it was happenning last year it probably wasn't sanctioned.  I personally think that extra PT is a great idea if it doesn't take away from training.  When I did my QL3 15 years ago we spent many a Saturday on a forced march for something stupid like not taking the garbage out or 50 pushups for a fingerprint on a gasmask.  Good times.

In the end, it's up to the individual member (Reg and Reserve) to maintain their own level of PT.  You get out of it, what you put into it.  I have yet to see a candidate get torqued for doing pt on his/her own time, so long as all safety precautions have been met.  Mind you I have seen them get torqued for not meetng all safety requirements and for not doing it on their time, but crse time (that of course is a different story). 

Back