• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How come Cadets hate the old D&C badges?

c.jacob

Inactive
Reaction score
I run the Qm at my  corps.  One day a Master Corporal came to me and said that he had lost his D&C badge and asked if I had a replacement for him.  I looked and dug up an old D&C badge with the 3 tree's.  I gave that to him.  He got mad and argued with me that it wasn't a D&C badge and he demanded a "real" D&C badge and started digging through my stock until I threw him out.  You can imagine how thrilled I was about all of this.  Especially since I wore the old tree badge when I was a cadet.  So my question is this.

Why is the old D&C badge so insulting?

Well, since the badge you described is a CLI badge not a true "D&C" Badge I guess they believe it is below there stature. Since everyone knows if you do D&C your a god. ::)

i thought the 3 trees badge was the old badge you get for all CLI courses

Globemaster said:
i thought the 3 trees badge was the old badge you get for all CLI courses
That it is.

ARMYboi69 said:
I do believe that this was because the supplies ran out, so only certain cadets got the golden pace stick.
Makes more sense than someone picking badges based on course reports.

at Blackdown they give every other year  the 3 trees badge. or it could be that once every three years the paystick badge is handed out.

The pace stick badge has been a problem for years, you think ti would be relativly easy to fix. When they order badges for the CSTC they order lots and lots and lots at one time, and whatever the CSTC gets sent from Ottawa is what they have to use. Vernon has been all pace sticks for two years, but before that it was on and off for awhile.

The old CLI badge, like posted, was the three trees, and D&C had a maple leaf in the centre to signify it as the "senior" CLI course.

Everyone is under the impression that the 3 tree's is a general CLI badge.  This is not so.  The 3 tree's was actuallly the D&C badge.  The pace stick badge only came out in the last couple of years.

In the past, the "three trees" badge WAS the badge for all CLI courses, but this was a very long time ago

Teh camp badges were not listed in the 1993 star level books.  But if you have a 1997 version of the Master Cadet Handbook you'll notice the 3 tree's is listed as CLI Drill and ceremonial.  Also if anyone has the older poster of ranks and badges.

That's true, but before that, the badge was used for all CLI courses

ARMYboi69 said:
There should be a general badge for every course across country.  

yes there should, but since when does blackdown do things the way there supposed to be, take there so-called pre course last summer for example

http://www.armycadethistory.com/Qualifications_1978_92.htm

hmmm..the army cadet history website lists the three trees badge as a CL badge and three trees with maple as the CLI badge..... ???

Seeing as I was a cadet in that time frame, I can say that the armycadethistory site is in error.
THe badges went:
1 Tree - Basic
2 Trees - CL
3 Trees - CLI
3 Trees with Maple Leaf - CLI D&C

Medic65726 said:
Seeing as I was a cadet in that time frame, I can say that the armycadethistory site is in error.
THe badges went:
1 Tree - Basic
2 Trees - CL
3 Trees - CLI

You should e-mail him, he's always thankful for contributions big or small.

Cheers

Medic65726 said:
THe badges went:
1 Tree - Basic
2 Trees - CL
3 Trees - CLI

Geeze Dane, I was JUST going to say that...but thanks anyways...bugger :p

Well, if someone's so desperate at getting a different badge, why don't they go to a surplus store or ebay or something.  I'm pretty sure stuff like that floats around.

ARMYboi69 said:
It does.   However it would be easier to just stop the flow of the "old" badges and begin handing out the new ones.   No need to leap frog between two badges and confuse everyone.

I agree.  One badge no arguments about it.  The issue I had was this cadet lost his badge and I gave him what I ha available to me at the time.

ARMYboi69 said:
It does.   However it would be easier to just stop the flow of the "old" badges and begin handing out the new ones.   No need to leap frog between two badges and confuse everyone.

I agree.  One badge no arguments about it.  The issue I had was this cadet lost his badge and I gave him what I had available to me at the time.

Back