• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honours & Awards (merged)

My original point was that I thought all valour awards went before meritorious service awards as groupings, as opposed to the actual precedence of most crosses, be they for valour, bravery OR meritorious service, before medals.  It had nothing to do with rank of recipient.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
My original point was that I thought all valour awards went before meritorious service awards as groupings, as opposed to the actual precedence of most crosses, be they for valour, bravery OR meritorious service, before medals.  It had nothing to do with rank of recipient.

Regards
G2G
Sorry G2G,

And I apologize for the tangent if it somehow detracted from you're post.

It was totally unrelated and not meant to be an addendum.

I just have a tendency, after knowing numerous recipients, their backgrounds, what they did during their career and how they got there, of having somewhat of a jaundiced eye.

When I see them getting said awards.

Recceguy, not related to you, but more to those to whom PPCLI Guy was referring.

I don't disagree with you at all that sometimes there seems to be a bit of top-level writing up going on.  One of the biggest challenges I have had in my past positions has been getting "the system" to give as much apparent consideration to my subordinates way down the ladder when it comes to recognition...still trying to press a subordinate's nomination for an award years (and two postings) later.  It's hard when it's for "body of work" type recognition and not a specific event or achievement.  Frustrating.  :-\

Cheers
G2G

Let's see if I can clarify a few things here.  Honours from the Crown (which they all are) are broken down into three basic groups:  Orders, Decorations and Medals.

1) Orders are societies of merit.  Individuals are not "awarded" orders, but rather are inducted into them.  The "medal" (more correctly referred to as the insignia) that inductee receives at the investiture is not the award itself, but rather a badge signifying membership.  Generally, membership in an order signifies a lifetime of achievement.  Thus you don't see too many corporals who are members of the Order of Military Merit (it has happened though).  Membership in orders is generally limited.

2)  Decorations are awarded for individual acts of bravery, valour or merit (do not confuse the Order of Military Merit with the Meritorious Service Cross or the Meritorious Service Medal).  There is no limit to the number of individuals that can be decorated.

3)  Medals are awarded to anyone who meets specific criteria (e.g. participates in a mission.

Don't be confused by the names of the individual awards.  For example, the Medal of Military Valour, the Medal of Bravery and the Meritorious Service Medal are actually decorations.  The Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) is a special case in that strictly speaking, it is a medal by definition and treated as such in the order of precedence; however, it is classed as a decoration, largely because the King George VI (who established it) decided to make it so.

Orders and Decorations (including the CD) carry the right to post-nominal letters and the inclusion of the insignia and/or motto (orders only) on personal coats of arms.  The highest ranks within the orders also carry the right to supporters (the animals or people holding the shield) on coats of arms.

The order of precedence for wear is shown here: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/index-eng.asp, but in general terms is:  VC, CV, Orders, Decorations and then, Medals.  There are are variety of criteria used to determine where each award fits in the order of precedence (including date of establishment), but it is not correct to say that all bravery/valour awards come before other awards.

The CANFORGEN announces awards in the order of precedence, but the presentations at Rideau Hall are not.  At Rideau Hall they are grouped into Valour and Meritorious Service in order to simplify the program.  Inductions into Orders and the presentation of Decorations are never held at the same time

Pusser, thanks for that.  You may not have thought so, but you outlined it in a very clear and understandable (for me, anyway) manner.  BZ.

The CANFORGEN announces awards in the order of precedence, but the presentations at Rideau Hall are not.  At Rideau Hall they are grouped into Valour and Meritorious Service in order to simplify the program.

This must have been why I had a difference impression of the precedence issue.

Thanks for helping to clear this up.

Regards
G2G

FYI:

A more complete order of precedence is found here:

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=71

http://www.ckom.com/story/saskatoon-man-awarded-pilot-rescue/31920

In April a plane crashed on a Saskatoon road, the news reported that a CF member, who happened to be driving past when he saw it happen, was the first responder on the scene. This was now published.

Saskatoon man awarded for pilot rescue
Corporal Hrycuik honoured for the second time after risking his life to save others
Reported by Bre McAdam
First Posted: Nov 15, 2011 4:06pm | Last Updated: Nov 15, 2011 7:16pm

Corporal Matthew Hrycuik has been awarded the Gold Life Saving Award on Tuesday night at Hugh Cairns Armouries, for saving two pilots from the Furgo plane that crashed into the sound barrier wall on Wanuskewin Road on April 1.

Hrycuik was nominated for the most prestigious honour given by St. John Ambulance by its former president Don McDonald.

"It shows what they're able to do, and a young guy like that needs to be recognized," said McDonald.

The twin-engine geological surveying plane went down at 51st and Warman. An Ontario man, 47-year-old Iaroslav Gorokhovski, was killed.

Cpl. Hrycuik saved a 42-year-old pilot and a 57-year-old co-pilot, who were injured in the crash.

In June, the Transportation Safety Board confirmed the right engine broke down. The cause of the engine failure is still under investigation.

Hrycuik was given a commendation for saving Afghan soldiers after an accidental bunker explosion in 2008.

Click the link to see videos of the aftermath

We have a thread on that MVC.
Topic: One killed in crash involving Canadian Navy bus, SUV in N.S
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/90590.0

WOw way to go Winston...I never knew.

Just a bit of background Winston and I were in 2 NSH together.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Just a bit of background Winston and I were in 2 NSH together.
Hang on.....you were infantry AND armour......yet ended up being a sailor?    ???

;)

we all find acceptance......eventually...

Back