• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Holy *Beep* from CBC News...Gas Prices go up 12 cents In Montreal

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/montreal-gas-prices-jump-12-cents-overnight

Montreal gas prices jump 12 cents overnight

Motorists got a shock at the pumps as they pulled in to fill up Thursday morning.

The price of gas at most stations in Montreal jumped nearly 12 cent a litre overnight, hitting $1.374 on the island.

Oil prices have been slowly crawling up and hovered just below $103 US a barrel on Thursday morning.

According to analysts, uncertainty in the Middle East, and Iran in particular, is to blame for the rising price.

Iran is threatening to shut down the international Strait of Hormuz, a vital Persian Gulf waterway that carries one-sixth of the world's oil supply.

Tensions rose earlier this week when the U.S. brushed off a warning from Iranian officials, who said American vessels weren’t welcome in the Gulf.

Curious - is there a holiday or long weekend coming up in Quebec?  That's when such bumps seem to happen elsewhere.

Ex-Dragoon said:
http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/montreal-gas-prices-jump-12-cents-overnight
Montreal gas prices jump 12 cents overnight
According to analysts, uncertainty in the Middle East, and Iran in particular, is to blame for the rising price.
Ummm, yeah... except that gas prices in Ottawa stayed the same over the same observation period.

Maybe this is somehow related to the "uni-lingual" Randy Cunneyworth too.??      :rage:

That is really kinda normal around here. I am shocked it made the news really. Often times you go to bed on say Wednesday and wake up Thursday to see gas went from 1.22$ up to 1.32$.

I have never ever seen gas price fluctuation like I have here.

BulletMagnet said:
That is really kinda normal around here. I am shocked it made the news really. Often times you go to bed on say Wednesday and wake up Thursday to see gas went from 1.22$ up to 1.32$.

I have never ever seen gas price fluctuation like I have here.

That's cheap!!  ;)  At the gas station on the corner next to my place in Montreal ... it's 1.39 right now.  :(  That's still not as bad as the 1.42 - 1.45 it went to in New Brunswick a couple of years ago; NB's been much better since enacting price-regulation after that particular summer.

The highest I've ever paid here in NS is...156.7 (summer '08 I think).  And that was for diesel not gas.

Its in the high 120's now, depending where you are in the province.  I expect to see a significant jump tonight then based on the Montreal jump.  The Provincial (NDP) government is still trying to pay for all of those generators, LCD TVs, desks and stuff the MLA's here purchased for themselves/their homes not long ago.  >:D

Here in Kingston, Ontario, I've seen gas prices jump 10 - 12 cents on a regular basis; and, usually on Tuesday night. Right now I thinks its between $1.18 and $1.20 depending on the gas station.

Hovering around 1.13-1.14 c/litre here in Comox/Courtenay

Gas prices in Victoria have been bouncing between 105 and 140 since June of last year. It'll take a week or so to inch its way down to 105-110 then jump back into the 130's over night. We're sitting at about 112 right now and got as low as 98.9 a few weeks ago. In all that time, I never saw anything in the news here regarding the large price fluctuations.

You can find everything you wanted to know about all grades of gas prices, averages, increases, history, etc at Gas Buddy. You can get a phone app there also. US and Canada. An excellent resource.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

We just had a jump like that here in Victoria.
On my way into work this morning at 4am, gas was 1.08/L and I will be off in about an hour and a half and have already been alerted that it has jumped to 1.25/L  :'(

I should have stopped to fill this morning...

Over 2 dollars a litre in the UK. I won't moan too loudly about Canada's prices quite yet.

Edited to add: and so long as the price of a Timmies or a Coke is higher than that of gas I can't see me changing my tune. Hell, some folks will pay more for a bottle of water. I don't like high gas prices, but I deal with them and find other ways to save. I do not "need" Timmies - I DO need to drive.

If gasoline came in individually packaged 1 litre portions, or hand served in a shop like water or Timmies, you'd see  the perceived price imbalance reversed in short order.

Back