• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hobbies

Radop

Inactive
Reaction score
What does everyone do for a hobby besides reading Army.ca forum pages?  lol. 

I love to photograph especially while I am deployed.  I also collect canadian coins and stamps.

How about the rest of you.

My Grandad has quite a collection of coins and stamps from around the world, collected during his travels with the British Government.

I also like to photograph and I'm quite a keen rock climber, though I haven't had that much chance to do it over here in Canada (kinda hard to climb outdoors in Ontario when you 1)don't have a car; and 2)don't have anyone to climb with).  I do it whenever I go home, and have been to Norway to do some ice climbing as well. Kayaking, Canoing, anything outdoors really. tried bungee jumping (don't know whether you could really call that a hobby though???), wouldn't mind trying my hand at parachuting either.
Cheers,
Morgs

As for me...well I tried rock climbing and found it VERY hard! I'll stick to my hobbies for now which include motorcycling in the nicer months. Lord how i wish I could ride right now but the snow simply won't let me.  :'(
I also teach boxing in my spare time and used to be an amateur boxer. I feel too old to compete anymore and leave it to the younger ones. I get more enjoyment out of teaching anyhow. Less bumps and bruises to contend with!  ;). Other than that, I  like to go to my favorite bar on a Friday night and hang out with my friends, or check out a movie.

Bojangles

I took the mountain ops course and we had to rock climb a 90 m rock face in combat boots.  I was one of the last to climb and the CSM made me go over the outcrop.  I made it but it was one of the hardest things i have done.

Radop said:
I took the mountain ops course and we had to rock climb a 90 m rock face in combat boots.  I was one of the last to climb and the CSM made me go over the outcrop.  I made it but it was one of the hardest things i have done.

Hahaha... I can imagine why that would've been hard. Can't say I've ever climbed in combat boots before. Back when I was in cadets over in the UK on one of my camps we had a demo put on by 3 Para. They did that really cool run up and down the rock face, it was absolutely insane! I'm sure running up would be easier on the nerves. It's gotta be scary running flat out "down" a rockface watching the ground come hurtling towards you.

bojangles said:
As for me...well I tried rock climbing and found it VERY hard! I'll stick to my hobbies for now which include motorcycling in the nicer months. Lord how i wish I could ride right now but the snow simply won't let me.  :'(
I also teach boxing in my spare time and used to be an amateur boxer.

What bike do you have? My mum used to ride bikes. I remember as a kid getting to ride around the block with her on her BSA Bantom (Old School). She'd had it for a billion years, sold it a few years ago though, I wanted it :'(
And surely, as a boxer I bet you weren't that bad at climbing, what with all that upper body strength.

Radop said:
I love to photograph especially while I am deployed.

How easy is it to take pics on tour/after basic?
I know this topic has been discussed with regards to BMQ, but what's it like after you get posted? For example OPSEC concerns e.t.c

I currently have 2 bikes, a 2000 650cc custom V-star and a 750cc Honda Interceptor. The Interceptor is older and I bought it for an ex boyfriend but I got rid of the boyfriend and kept the bike. ;D

Bojangles

bojangles said:
I currently have 2 bikes, a 2000 650cc custom V-star and a 750cc Honda Interceptor. The Interceptor is older and I bought it for an ex boyfriend but I got rid of the boyfriend and kept the bike. ;D

Bojangles

I like your style!

For my part, I do A LOT of bodybuilding on my spare time (5 times a week for 2 hours each) and I love that. Other than that I hang out with friends in bars on weekends but not too much, as I don't wanna lose all the time I spent in the gym during the week  ;)

These time I pass LOTS (read "too much") of time reading on army.ca...

I used to have dirtbikes but I broke my right foot on the 2003 summer, sold the bike and didn't touch another bike since then. I got my first dirt bike at the age of 7 (it was a small one too) and never stopped riding since my last crash in 2003. I plan on buying another like next summer... if everything goes well, of course...

cheers!

:salute:

I split my time between my computer, fishing, and reading. I can now say that I've fished in the Med, Jordan River, Sea of Galilee, etc etc. courtesy of Op Danaca...lol

Morgs said:
How easy is it to take pics on tour/after basic?
I know this topic has been discussed with regards to BMQ, but what's it like after you get posted? For example OPSEC concerns e.t.c

Overseas, I take literally thousands of pic and mainly of things outside of camp especially the people.  If you know what is not suppose to be photographed ie/ maps, special equipment, data charts, etc you just don't photograph them.  If you are unsure, don't take the picture.  This last tour to afghanistan, more people had cameras than not.  We had just over 500 pers on camp warehouse and I bet there was over 400 cameras.  When on course, a camera is not a violation unless in a security zone so don't take one in there unless you have been cleared to do so.  If in doubt ask your instructors.

never take a picture in an airport either civilian or military or a port facility.

It will cost u your camera.TRUST ME!

I can show you a hundred photos in airport including those in ISREAL, SYRIA, Canada, USA, Croatia, etc, etc.  Just don't take pictures of military aircraft or sensitive areas such as security points.  Thinking is the hardest for everyone.  If you think it may not be allowed, don't take the picture.

i love to built model vehicles ( usually WW2 era). i also like working on cars, fixing there body's and the mechanics stuff to.

Sailing/Backpacking/(insert outdoor activity here). I don't know if you can call beer a hobby...

My biggest hobby would be cooking.  I started watching the Food Network a few years ago...and became obsessed with cooking.  Lately I've been dabbling more into the gourmet side of things.  I throw a lot of parties and force my friends and family to eat.  LOL  Haven't killed anyone yet.  ;)

WH40k, Hiking, Biking, Paintball, Airsoft(soon), Computers (Building and fooling around with software), Graphic Design, Painting...

There is lots to do here, so I like to get the canoe out, and explore the local man-made canal system, and Pumicestone Passage which both are abundant with dugongs, dolphins, a variety of crabs, and yes sharks of all shapes and sizes (some which have a taste for dogs and humans ;D).

I lurk around the local gun shows, and I collect bayonets from Boer War to present, and I have upwards of 150 different types.

I enjoy camping and of course spearfishing, snorkelling and SCUBA diving too. There are plenty of the best places here on the fringe of the Coral Sea. The water is warm and clear too.

I do have a passion for utes (I have a 8/2000 AUII XLS Falcon), try www.utez.com.au as they have plenty to offer locally also. I go by '1feral1' on that site.

So, never a dull moment here, and thats all year long too.

Cheers,

Wes

I love hiking, but I can only do it the rare occasian that I travel to the mountain's as in my area the largest forested area is about a square kilometre.

Back