• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Algonquin

You start slipping up on little things and it is a slippery slope to big issues.

When training junior MARS officers we are all over them for terminology and the proper sequence of a report. So that means that we will hammer them for not saying galley, fore and aft, port and starboard which will result in them working twice as hard to make contact and track reports in the proper sequence.

FSTO said:
You start slipping up on little things and it is a slippery slope to big issues.

Oh for the love of all that is good and pure............... ::)

"in"......."on".......its not going to get somebody killed. Its not letting performance standards going down.

Only the Navy.......

I guess this is a big deal for some people, I personally think there are bigger things to worry about on a ship.

Chief Stoker said:
I guess this is a big deal for some people, I personally think there are bigger things to worry about on a ship.

And in a ship too!  Sorry, couldn't resist!  >:D

In, on, around, I don't care. As long as no one makes the fatal error of having the word "The" before "HMCS".

CDN Aviator said:
Oh for the love of all that is good and pure............... ::)

"in"......."on".......its not going to get somebody killed. Its not letting performance standards going down.

Only the Navy.......

You seem to have a real issue with the way the Navy goes about its business. If you are so annoyed with the way skimmers talk then why do you bother commenting on these threads? I am sure there are more important things going on in your life.

FSTO said:
You seem to have a real issue with the way the Navy goes about its business.

I love working with the Navy. I don't have any issues at all, just amazed how the difference between "on" and "in" can be such a disaster.

If you are so annoyed with the way skimmers talk

"Some" skimmers............i haven't met too many that care about "on" or "in". Usualy they care about things like JNAP callsigns, VECTACs, aircraft control terms and that we get the datum right. You know, actualy important things.

But, i guess you are right. Off i go.

CDN Aviator said:
"Some" skimmers............i haven't met too many that care about "on" or "in". Usualy they care about things like JNAP callsigns, VECTACs, aircraft control terms and that we get the datum right. You know, actualy important things.

As a SAC, I couldn't agree more!

It sure is.

Trust me, submariners want to make certain that they are "in" the submarine, not "on " it. :) :) :)

CDN Aviator said:
The details that mean life or death are important. The details that get someone paid or not are important. "Left" and "right" is important. "Do this" and "dont do this" is important......

100% correct.  Not going to debate that angle.

However, the navy has its own language...for everything.  Decks, deckhead, bulkheads, galley, bow, stern, athwartships, etc, etc.  Why bother with that then?  "In" and "the" are simply part of that.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But somehow, people manage to use those terms but can’t manage "in" or "the"?  Why?  Not enough room in the brain for that?  If "in" or "the" aren’t a big deal for sailors, then lets drop the whole damn thing.  The entire tradition of our language.  F**k it, unimportant.

But really, no one in the navy, not even those too lazy to wrap their brains around "in" and "the", would go for that.

Seriously gclarke, I dare you to go to your XO and tell him that you saw some 'garbage' on the 'floor' down the 'hall', up the 'stairs' on the 'second floor'.  Tell me how that works out for you.  Actually, say that to your CO - he and I taught at Venture for years together and spent a great deal of time teaching the customs and traditions of the Navy to JOUTS. Because that is all this is - "customs and traditions".  Meh, unimportant, I guess.  Did you bother to get your Executive Curl put on your tunic?  Again, simply a tradition.  Why should the Navy spend money on a tradition like that?  Not life or death.  Has no impact on how we do our day to day jobs.

I could care less what those from the other elements have to say - they have their own customs and traditions that I find odd - because I don’t fully understand them and where they came from, but they are their customs and traditions.  They have a place - if they didn't, they would have been done away with.

Chief Stoker, you are also correct.  More important things to worry about, I guess.  But Chiefs and Petty Officers are supposed to be the custodians of the Navy's customs and traditions, no?  Those who sustain our traditions through thick and thin? Well, if the Chiefs won’t do it, then I guess us XOs will.  Seriously, guy, I got this.  Don’t sweat it.

Regards,

MARS

Chief Stoker, you are also correct.  More important things to worry about, I guess.  But Chiefs and Petty Officers are supposed to be the custodians of the Navy's customs and traditions, no?  Those who sustain our traditions through thick and thin? Well, if the Chiefs won't do it, then I guess us XOs will.  Seriously, guy, I got this.  Don't sweat it.

[/quote]

Yes I maintain there are bigger and better things to worry about and I certainly believe in our customs and traditions, please do not infer that I do not. I simply do not go around squaring off pers for making mistakes as insignificant as that and yes I won't sweat it.  Boy you must of been a pleasure to sail for.

gcclarke said:
In, on, around, I don't care. As long as no one makes the fatal error of having the word "The" before "HMCS".

Unless we name a new class of ships after Canada's infantry regiments.

Then we will have The HMCS Royal Canadian.  With the leading The.  Capitalized.

No, it would still be HMCS THE ROYAL CANADIAN, and HMCS THE OTHER REGIMENT.

All joking aside, using the right word in the right circumstances is an indication of professionalism, but like everything else it has to be enforced in a reasonable manner.  Minor improprieties can, and should, be corrected in a gentle manner and at the appropriate time, so that ultimately, seaman get it right - but without going stupid. I am with Chief Stoker on that one: I'd rather have a young ABER that knows the procedure for loss of lube oil emergency down pat rather than her naval  vocabulary down pat. I remember in the old days MPs giving speeding tickets on base for doing 32 Km/h in a 30 zone: stupid. Giving speeding tickets for doing 90 km/h in a school zone: smart.  Everything is a matter of degree.

If you wanted to push the matter, even Pusser, or at least Pusser's nameless XO, got it wrong if they truly threaten that seaman could no go "inside": There is no "inside" for a ship - you are either on deck or below decks- so the threat should have been that these seaman should not be allowed "below".

Here's another "tradition" although not naval that is being used more often....."I could care less"..when in fact you are trying to say "I couldn't care less"  I am not a grammar nazi but you would think an officer would know better. ;D

So how about dem Jays?  Seems like we veered off course. Talk about pickin the fly poop outa pepper?
Time for a chill pill.
I never knew different as navy people said "I'm on the Toronto" . Made sense as in the middle of the ocean ya wanna be ON something. And I don't mean Charlie Sheen.
Have a great day and stay cool! It is meltin out there.

NavalMoose said:
Here's another "tradition" although not naval that is being used more often....."I could care less"..when in fact you are trying to say "I couldn't care less"  I am not a grammar nazi but you would think an officer would know better. ;D

Technically he could care less than he does now, because he at least cared enough to make a comment.  >:D

MARS said:
However, the navy has its own language...for everything. 

MARS,

The AF does as well and, unfortunately it is all navy-based  ;D . "Aft bulkhead", "Port side", my MWOs and CWO are refered to as "chiefs". What you won't hear though is someone getting corrected for calling the aircraft's galley "the kitchen". You certainly wont hear someone say that letting someone calling it anything other than "galley" ( the proper term for it) as a slipping of standards for the profession of arms. You wont hear an officer say to someone "It's called a galley and if you dont call it that we wont let you eat !!!"

Maintaining traditions is one thing and i great. I maintain quite a few myself and i don't let the port touch the table. Implying that "on" a ship is a slip of standards and is somehow going to lead to someone getting killed is a bit of a stretch.

Back