• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HK High Reliability Magazine

Kal

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone used or seen these mags?  Just wondering if they do what they say they will do.  Not that a M16/C7/AR15 will jam that often when clean and with good ammo... 

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/special%20applications/sa80mag.html

How about a high reliability C7 now?  ;D  Seriously your rifle will stop working LONG before your mags.  I dont see the point.

Well, seeing as many weapon malfunctions are magazine and ammo related and how the current mags are produced en masse and the amount of abuse they take, I'm not sure how you come to that understanding.  Just as anyone who shoots a 1911 will know to use wilson combat mags in it, because of the increased reliability.

Well... thats just from personal experience.  Ive never had any magazine related problems, even when they were full of sand and dirt.  I cant say the same for the weapon itself.

The issued mags work fine IMO; rounds stay seated properly, the spot-welding and steel construction is very durable (to think that we used to have thermo mold mags is atrocious), and even when dented (from dropping your rifle) they still function flawlessly. If anything they could be the "No Name Brand" equivalent of the HK mags (look very similar, but there could be internal differences with HK such as stronger springs and/or improved feed ramps.)

Issue (USGI type) versus HK SA80A2

DownloadAttach.asp

DownloadAttach.asp

The HK mag is steel - much more durable, is larger aprox 1/2" longer (it does not fit our mag pouches well).

Our issue mags are fine until they take a little bit of damage and need to be replaced regularily (even though this does not happen usually)
When doing CQB drills with speed reloads when the mags are ripped from the weapon and discarded quickly if the mags don't have magpuls they tend to get damaged after a few cycles.
The same happens to the lips after doign tac reloads on a closed bolt again and again and again.

Personally the HK's are nice but not worth the extra $ IMHO. 

Cycle thru your work mags.  # them and mark failures on the mag body - after a mag hits 5, N/S the mag.

I've put the Magpul Ranger Plates and the magpul enhanced selflevelling follower in mine ands they work 100%.

The one thing I'm always left wondering is; "Where does Kevin get all of these pictures?"

Come on, those Brit mags were made like last year, of course they work better compared to most of ours. ;D

HK has engineered these new mags for the UK L85A2 and L86A2. I have one, and yes they are the bees knees for durable, but they are steel, made for steel recievers ( Minimi would be okay), not alloy ones in the M16 FOW. Yes, it is longer.

A bewt follower in the same quality of HK91 mags, and the mag is also marked HK.

I also have the steel mag for the French FAMAS G2 rilfe, and this basically is a steel copy of the US alloy 30rd mags.

Cheers,

Wes

No my pic
but a better comparrison   (I dont have any HK mags anymore)
HK versus original SA80 mag
hkmag1.jpg

Certain USSOC units have adopted them - that said many more prefer the old USGI.

Wes - given the coating on the mag and the annodizing and coat on the magwell I have not seen any problems from the mag - the only real wear spot is the mag release and it is steel.

*must learn to spell

I'll take some pics tonight and post em Kevin. The mags I had and the one I have were used in south Iraq and they had quite a bit of use.

I'll post some pics of the Frog mag also.

Cold beers,

Wes

Thx.

I have not seen any that hit the desert - I detect a rationale from your above - steel/aluminum comment...

Kal said:
Well, seeing as many weapon malfunctions are magazine and ammo related and how the current mags are produced en masse and the amount of abuse they take, I'm not sure how you come to that understanding.   Just as anyone who shoots a 1911 will know to use wilson combat mags in it, because of the increased reliability.

Since it was first brought about in the late 1960s, the 30rd mag US generic issue types are unchanged with the exception of funky coloured followers, and the PC lettering 'for law enforcement use only'.

30rd mags here, many of them have been in service since Christ was a Lance Corporal. The HK mag is suburb, and its the Rolls-Royce of 30rd mags.

EDIT: Well its just after 2030 here and I am bagged after a long day. I just got home! When I get home after work tomorow, I'll post some good pics between the HK and the Frog mag. Off to bed, I have a 0530 start.

Out....

Wes

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley H. Allen said:
HK has engineered these new mags for the UK L85A2 and L86A2. I have one, and yes they are the bees knees for durable, but they are steel, made for steel recievers ( Minimi would be okay), not alloy ones in the M16 FOW. Yes, it is longer.

Why can't the steel mag be used properly in an alloy receiver, or is that just the L85/L86 mag being used for the M16 series?  I was under the impression that HK developed these mags for the M16 series also, is this a different High Reliability mag? 

KevinB said:
I have not seen any that hit the desert - I detect a rationale from your above - steel/aluminum comment...

Also, looking forward to that.....

Kevin, during your criminal escapades I'm surprised that this 'victim' didn't drop you with a 'judo chop'.

He fell for the "Look, an Eagle" routine  ;)

The SA80A2 mag is the "high reliability" mag - just different marketing

Kal said:
     Why can't the steel mag be used properly in an alloy receiver, or is that just the L85/L86 mag being used for the M16 series?   I was under the impression that HK developed these mags for the M16 series also, is this a different High Reliability mag?  

It's not that they cant be used, but prolonged (and I mean prolonged) use will cause wear to alloy recievers. Steel is harder than the alloy. I used to have steel Sterling mags for my AR15, and I had them for about 15 yrs, and they worked fine, but 'civvy' use vs military use are two different things.

Cheers,

Wes

So what happend to those french mags? Ive been doing my C7 training a few weeks ago and we were doing the usual load, unload, prepare for inspection etc... And quite a few times with doing the unload I have heard and seen people dropping the mags on the floor. They dont seem to get banged up, then again this is indoors. But my point is our mags arent bad, in fact i like them, the springs are strong and the outer shell also very strong. The HK mags are nice, a little bit bigger, and alot more expe$ive! Keep ours, wait for the C7 to be phased out(12-16 yr) and get on with your lives! We can leave the bitching to the armchair generals!
UBIQUE!!!!! ;D

C7 training, high speed magazines and JTF patrol vests, I wish I had all this stuff back when I was in cadets...  I never said the issue mags weren't good, well, at least the ones that aren't too beat up, but just wanted to see if the HK mags are considerably better.  If something improves your game and may potentially save your life or buddy's, then why wouldn't you use it?  Keep ours?  Sure, if they were kept current and the government procured readily enough to replace the bad ones, but half the mags issued I wouldn't trust to put any more than 27 rounds in them, if that.  What do I know though, I'll just take my AR and go to Blackwater this fall, then maybe I can start the road to being as hardcore as some of the cadets here...

Cpl.Banks(Cdt.) said:
So what happend to those french mags? Ive been doing my C7 training a few weeks ago and we were doing the usual load, unload, prepare for inspection etc... And quite a few times with doing the unload I have heard and seen people dropping the mags on the floor. They dont seem to get banged up, then again this is indoors. But my point is our mags arent bad, in fact i like them, the springs are strong and the outer shell also very strong. The HK mags are nice, a little bit bigger, and alot more expe$ive! Keep ours, wait for the C7 to be phased out(12-16 yr) and get on with your lives! We can leave the bitching to the armchair generals!
UBIQUE!!!!! ;D

Mate, I am not smearing shyte on ya, but....

Armchair generals? This coming from a 15yr old who seems to know it all about these mags? What the hell do you know about mags Lad. Unless you have the TI and experience, I suggest you stay in the cadet forums, or at least read and absorb info from certain posts.

A cadet lesson or two on a rifle in a classroom, empty mags dropping onto a floor? Well, this is a far cry from the real world. Don't go accusing me of being a cadet basher either. I fully support the movement 110% in both Canada and here in Australia, but what really gets me is when an individual (in this case you) a mere 15 yr old boy, has an 'attitude' and thinks he knows it all and is the master SME, when in reality he does not have a clue.    

FYI, The pics of the FAMAS G2 steel mag and the L85A2 HK manufactured magazine will be posted when I get home tonight (as per post no.13, para 3, if you read the post you would have known that).

Back