• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hillier on Sea Kings in the Ghan'

mdh

Reaction score
Sea Kings to Afghanistan? No way, says top soldier

CANADIAN PRESS

Canada's geriatric helicopter fleet won't be making the trek to Afghanistan, Canada's top soldier said today.
â Å“We have no intention at this point in time to deploy the Sea Kings,â ? said Gen. Rick Hillier.

â Å“If it could do the job there, in that hot climate at very high altitude, and be able to lift enough of a load, would I deploy it there? Absolutely. But I do not believe it can do the job there.â ?

Reports had suggested that the decades-old fleet would be refitted for use by the 250 soldiers who will be in Afghanistan as of next week. Forty-four personnel are already in Afghanistan as part of Canada's reconstruction mission that will swell to 1,500 by February.

Hillier said the dangerous situation in Afghanistan means a large helicopter is necessary, especially to make sure that Canadian troops stay as safe as possible.

â Å“One of the things that we have articulated that we're going to need in the near future is a big helicopter â ” I've described it in the past as a big honking helicopter,â ? he said.

â Å“And we're going to need to go out and acquire that because that's the kind of thing that's extremely valuable in an operation such as the one we are involved in inside of Afghanistan.â ?

But Hillier said that the helicopter wouldn't be coming in time for the soldiers travelling to Afghanistan.

Hillier, who was appointed chief of defence staff earlier this year, was in Toronto to talk to the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies about his new vision for the military in Canada.

In light of the mission to Afghanistan and the recent bombings and bomb scares in London, Hillier spent much of his speech explaining how Canada would deal with terrorist threats.

He said Canada and other countries face danger from â Å“failed and failing statesâ ? if Canada doesn't go in and try to help them create democratic states.

Hillier also said people are just beginning to wake up and realize that present threats of terrorism aren't the same as the threat during the more â Å“conventionalâ ? Cold War.

Hillier created controversy last week by calling terrorists in Afghanistan and elsewhere â Å“detestable murderers and scumbags.â ?

But he said Canadians can't be passive observers and need to ``take a standâ ? on terrorism in countries like Afghanistan.

Hillier said that despite ruling out bringing the Sea Kings, Canadian troops won't be entirely without helicopters in Afghanistan.

As in past missions, he said, Canadian soldiers will be relying on other countries in the region to supply them with any helicopter power they need.

Wow, I'm impressed. 8)

Dead on about the Sea Kings.

General Hillier is the best thing since sliced bread. ;D

Thumbing a ride for US Blackhawk and Chinook lifts...

I am ambivalent about the SeaKing; on one hand I like CANADIAN a/c simply due to CASEVAC/MEDEVAC issues - US brids will do US priorities...  But I like to fly in a working bird...

Haven't we been relying on our NATO allies for helicopter operations ever since we got there?

Kind of embarrasing though when we had to air mobile our guns across kabul using german choppers. I felt like I should be holding a cardboard sign in one hand and a guitar case in the other.

The Germans have their own problems.

Due to bad weather, the German Secretary of Defense Peter Struck was stuck in Kabul after a visit. The German Transalls were unable to make it over the Himalayas due to bad weather. Finally, the Belgian armed forces had to give the Minister a ride with a Hercules from Afghanistan to Uzbekistan. A Netherlands Hercules had previously brought the Minister to Kabul, because of some other problems.

Hercules' from the French Air Force had to fly German citizens from the Ivory Coast.

So it is not just us!

Vigilant said:
Haven't we been relying on our NATO allies for helicopter operations ever since we got there?

I believe we have.  The Chinooks and Blackhawks work much better in the high altitude, and the Griffons, I've heard we have some there but don't know, aren't as good.

The Russians had the same problem with their Hinds and Hips in the 1980's, their smaller helicopters didn't work so well in Afghanistan either.

Griffons can't operate well in high atltitude areas like Afghanistan, reasoning why we don't have any there.
We rely on turkish blackhawks mostly.

Actually I have SEEN Bell 412's operate in and around Kabul...

They took out the armour so they could fly... and they dont have the same avionics package as the Grif - but same airframe...

Well Kevin, you won't see my sorry ass getting on either ;)

I'd rather walk thank you!

Any guesses on just How Long Gen Hillier will last before our friendly politicians pull the rug out from under him?  We all know what happens to Generals who speak the truth and stand up for us little guys - its happened oh too many times before to other "standup, honest" Generals.  I really hope he will be the one who changes this pattern and the politicians finally listen to someone willing to state the obvious truth even if some would say blunt kind of way. My kind of General and Im not even ARMY!
Hey isnt he a Newf?

Chief Clerk

"We all know what happens to Generals who speak the truth and stand up for us little guys - its happened oh too many times before to other "standup, honest" Generals"

Name them! How many Generals can you name who stood up for the soldiers over the years? Think about all the pers admin/pay/housing problems. Remember Calgary in the early 80's ? The pay freeze and PMQ rend increases in the 90's? You are a RMS. You should know. The PC party has Mr O' Conner who always has something to say. What is his record in the CF?

Yes, the CDS is a breath of fresh air. He needs our implicit support.

CFL said:
Yes he is a Newf and yes he is too good to be true.

Actually a Newf and Armoured.  Definately too good to be true.  Let's hope he isn't bitten or otherwise subjected to the idonwanna virus.

:skull:

Back