• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread

Thank you for signing. in my 6 second blurt they didn't include "army.ca"  ::)

Just signed it and e-mailed the link to everyone in my address book.

I heard McGuinty on television saying he will considerate it!
I think that's great news.  Here's hoping!
In a way makes me wonder, why consider it, why not just do it, but politics being politics, hopefully it will get done!

Newshound911 said:
I heard McGuinty on television saying he will considerate it!
I think that's great news.  Here's hoping!
In a way makes me wonder, why consider it, why not just do it, but politics being politics, hopefully it will get done!

I was delighted to hear that too! I've read somewhere that he helped name a Veterans Highway outside of Ottawa, so that brings me hope. Also I've heard an election is creeping, and its not good to be against the troops at any time, let alone election time.

FinallY!  Yes..I made it through accepting terms of agreement 10 times just to write this...

I'm admin to a facebook group called SUPPORT OUR CANADIANFORCES...a member brought to my attention that there was a facebook group dedicated to this petition and to please spread the word...we did..and the group has gotten over 2500 memembers in 48 hrs..amazing...wanted to contact the petitioner, but e-mail was de-activated so here I am..LOL...

all this to say...please check out the facebook group..the creator is a proud soldier too.

Thank you

franky

BTW..gots lots of info including before it breaks news...join if you'd like and post often...

forcerecon85,I
I think the the first part of your handle is well suited. You are a "force". :salute:

As I was watching the sad news last night about our comrades in the R 22e R, they had an item on the proposed renaming of the highway.  CTV newsnet called the highway "The Trans Canada"  ::) (Now, unless things have changed here in Upper Canada over the past couple of weeks, 401 is NOT part of the TCH).  The story about the "Highway of Heroes" was on "A Channel" and on Global.  Very nice: Keep up the good work

I also note that Dolt-on MaGuinty (sic) said that he was "prepared to consider it" (He's thinking about thinking about it). 

7848 and climbing by leaps and bounds...

over 8100 at 09:44 Aug 23...
Good Idea and one which needs to be pushed to all friends of the forces

Regards
Norm Out

the story was mentioned this morning on CBC radio news, but almost in passing. 

Shared with the usual disclaimer -- emphasis mine...

McGuinty open to renaming 401 to honour soldiers
Canadian Press, via Toronto Star, Aug 22, 2007 06:42 PM
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/248908

PICTON, Ont. – Ontario's premier says he'll consider a call to rename Canada's busiest highway in honour of the country's soldiers.

Dalton McGuinty says he'll listen to recommendations that Highway 401 be renamed the Highway of Heroes.

The highway's overpasses have become the scene of impromptu gatherings in recent months, as people wave flags while motorcades pass by bearing the remains of soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

An online petition has been started asking the province's Transportation Ministry to make the name change.

The flag-draped coffin of the latest soldier to be killed in the war-torn country, Pte. Simon Longtin, was returned to CFB Trenton on Wednesday and was to be transported to Toronto for autopsy.

McGuinty was previously involved in changing the name of an Ottawa highway to Veterans Memorial Highway.

He says the province needs to look for opportunities to lend support to Canada's soldiers and thank them for their sacrifices.

Good idea?  GREAT idea -- I'm signature #8519.

Premier's statement a good sign?  Yes

Is it a platform promise?  Not that I can find

Has the Liberal party of Ontario issued an official statement indicating this as a platform plank?  Not that I can find

Does "will consider" = "will do"?  No guarantees

Watch, and shoot!

Thanks for all your support. London has added a web poll i was wondering if i could get some help with. right now 68% don't want to see it rededicated to our troops
http://www.am980.ca its down at the bottom right of the page. Thanks 3rd herd, but I just made the petition, its you guys that have gotten the word out  ;D

It's "in the loop" of the every 15 minute news story fest on CTV NewsNet.

Right now it's down to 57% who don't want it dedicated.

Thanks for voting and the support :) Tomorrow morning at 8:05am(Toronto Time) I'm doing a live and un-edited 5 minute interview on Canada AM. I plan to credit Army.ca for all your help and support and to talk about why I'm doing this

forcerecon85 said:
Thanks for voting and the support :) Tomorrow morning at 8:05am(Toronto Time) I'm doing a live and un-edited 5 minute interview on Canada AM. I plan to credit Army.ca for all your help and support and to talk about why I'm doing this
You might as well tell en on the news that the people are already calling it the "highway of heroes" and Mr McGuinty will only be confirming what we already know.  There isn't even a need to spend a dime to change current roadsigns - It's still going to be the 401.  Over time, as the old signs are worn out / damaged, the replacement signs can be affixed with some sort of device.

I was #11385. In the time it took me to click accept and get back here it was up to 11393.

Back