• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High School Diploma

It‘s not your diploma that‘s a problem, it‘s your criminal convictions- you can‘t be under any legal obligations when joining the CF. The good news is- I don‘t think you have a waiting period, as do adults, after they have recieved a pardon before they can apply.

Upshot is you have to wait until your convictions have been discharged. Go to high school and get your diploma- recruiting is pretty competitive nowadays- I read somewhere that 30% of applicants have a College Diploma.

Just my 2 Cents

Likely they won‘t let you in without a diploma man...they say grade 10, but why would they take a guy with grade 10 over someone with the same qualifications who has grade 12?

As for your criminal side, you record is not wiped clean when you turn 18, it is only sealed. Therefore they can see that you had a criminal record but they cannot access it. So if it is for something like mischief but they cannot access it they could think it‘s as bad as murder or something, if you get what I‘m trying to say. So basically you have to tell them what you were charged with.

You will probably be put on probation for at least two years for that so you cannot apply to the CF until after that.

First,
I am a young offender and recently got charged with Assault, Assault w/ weapon, and weapon dangerous. I‘m yet to be charged or not...
You said that you‘ve been charged, but you‘ve yet to be charged....
I think you mean convicted. Your sentence will depend on many things (ie is this your first offence?, did you plead guilty?, are your parents involved?, have you ever done volunteer work, etc.) there are a lot of things that they will look at.
Plus you listed 3 charges, do you mean that you‘ve been charged in 3 seperate incidences?
Or is this on incident that you‘re talking about?
Because they can only press 1 charge against you per assault. If you only assaulted 1 person, then there will only be 1 charge. If you assaulted 3 people, they will probably still only charge you once, but it‘s possible they could go for 3 cases if they think you deserve it.
The most serious assault charge is agravated assault causing bodily harm/death.
Assault with a deadly weapon is not as serious as it sounds, unless the weapon actually hurt someone really badly.
When someone lists charges like that, it leads me to belive that you are at the intimidation by the police stage of the investigation.
When you won‘t talk or they don‘t like you, they love to add charges for the prosecutor to consider.
Assault with a deadly weapon is very moderate, trust me, the Crown will almost never go for the maximum charge (especially for a juvenile), and then your lawyer will almost certainly get your charge reduced even further.

Matt304 is right that you will probably get at least probation, and most likely a year or two, which means you can‘t apply until your probation has expired.

Other than that though, let me clear up the inaccuracies that were posted.
good news is- I don‘t think you have a waiting period, as do adults, after they have recieved a pardon before they can apply
An adult does not require a pardon to apply to the CAF.

Upshot is you have to wait until your convictions have been discharged.
If you are fully discharged, that means that you won‘t be punished and this whole topic is moot. If you are conditionaly discharged, you will get probation (most likely) and will have to wait until thats over before applying.
I think he might have meant "wait until your record is sealed at 18." but I don‘t know for sure.

As for your criminal side, you record is not wiped clean when you turn 18, it is only sealed. Therefore they can see that you had a criminal record but they cannot access it. So if it is for something like mischief but they cannot access it they could think it‘s as bad as murder or something, if you get what I‘m trying to say. So basically you have to tell them what you were charged with.
This is just wrong. First, unless you commit an adult offence within 3 years of your most recent juvenile offence, they WILL NOT see your juvenile record. CSIS may see it, but they will not provide that information to the recruiting center.
Second, even if you have the juvenile offence showing on your record because of an adult conviction, they can not consider it during your application.
Plus if the juvenile conviction is showing on your criminal records check, it will indicate what it was for. They will not be left to contemplate that you may be a psycho.
You don‘t have to tell them a thing about a juvenile offence, even if they know you have one, and they‘re not allowed to ask. It‘s against government policy to consider it at all.

well i know for a fact that the C.F. can infact find out what your chrges are after you turn 18 because it happend to me and they sent me a paper that had my exacct charges, and there are no violent crimes on my record as for the fact of having your grade twelve, they say u dont need it but if your young and have a free ride buy your parents then get it it will only give you a better shot at getting in.

Yes you‘ll be convicted if you plead guilty, or are found guilty.
The references and volunteering and stuff will be taken into consideration by the crown counsel when they form a sentencing recommendation.

You will almost certainly get a very soft slap on the wrist based on what you‘ve said so far.
Probably a couple of months probation or something.

Every once in a while though people get screwed by the system, I know a guy (a military brat from CFB Masset) who went to a juvenile detention facility for 6 months for an assault (his first offence).
A guy was picking a fight with him, he turned and hit him in the face, the guy was knocked out and when he fell he cracked his skull open on the sidewalk and went into a coma.
It was just some really terrible luck. He tried to avoid the fight for about 3 minutes by walking away and turning down the challenges and everyone who was there said so in sworn statements. They threw the book at him anyway, because the other guy got himself hurt.
So depending on the circumstances of your case, you could potentially face more serious consequences, but its pretty rare.

Another person I met was sentenced to this summer camp that I was training to be a junior counselor at when I was 16.
He was guilty of 11 counts of auto theft, and they sent him to summer camp, it wasn‘t even a troubled youth camp, most kids had to pay about $1000 just to go.

So there you go, you never really know for sure, the juvenile system is kinda screwy.

Criminal Records and Recruitment
Even in cases where a pardon has not yet been granted, a previous criminal conviction does not necessarily preclude admission to the CF. However, since hiring for the CF is competitive, past offences do adversely affect an applicant‘s chances of enrolment. Moreover, if sufficiently serious, a criminal record could lead to denial of reliability status (a prerequisite for enrolment) or denial of a security clearance.29 The consequences of a denial or revocation of a security clearance range from various employment restrictions to occupational transfer to release from the CF.30

Use of information about convictions under the Young Offenders Act is carefully controlled. Young offender information is not sent to the relevant recruitment centre. Instead, it goes to the CF Recruitment, Education and Training System headquarters, where the implications of the information for enrolment suitability are assessed. If personnel at the recruitment centre do happen to learn about young offender convictions, they are not permitted to use that information in determining an applicant‘s suitability for enrolment.31
From D-net (DND)

This link re: alternatives to courts may also be useful- have you spoken with a lawyer yet? They should know about anything similar in your area.
Especially if it‘s your first offence you have the chance of getting into a ‘Youth Diversion Program‘ or some such thing.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1080431703958

Well as for the criminal offences I‘m not to sure what will happen but I only have my grade 11 and i‘m off to BCT 04/20/04 so no but it would help depending on what MOC your applying for mines a no brainer (probably why I got in)
Infantry...somone has to do it
:akimbo:

Originally posted by GrahamD:
[qb]
I know a guy (a military brat from CFB Masset) who went to a juvenile detention facility for 6 months for an assault (his first offence).
A guy was picking a fight with him, he turned and hit him in the face, the guy was knocked out and when he fell he cracked his skull open on the sidewalk and went into a coma.
It was just some really terrible luck. He tried to avoid the fight for about 3 minutes by walking away and turning down the challenges and everyone who was there said so in sworn statements. They threw the book at him anyway, because the other guy got himself hurt.
So depending on the circumstances of your case, you could potentially face more serious consequences, but its pretty rare.

So there you go, you never really know for sure, the juvenile system is kinda screwy. [/qb]
Now Mr. Graham D, the reason your friend whom engaged in a physical confrontation causing bodily harm was charged is simply because law defines self-defense as using as much for as reasonably necessary to stop an attack on ones self or prevent death and/or destruction of property. Your friend did not use reasonable force. Instead, he used what the police and the Attorney General call "excessive force". Popular to contrary belief, if someone kicks you, then pushes you and calls you a name you would not be lawfully allowed to strike back. You are no longer preventing an attack or preserving life, property ect. On the other hand if he punched you once, twice, again a third time, then took an offensive stance you could "drop him" in order to stop what you could easily justify to be eminent(further) attacks. So basically, being punched and embarrased doesn‘t give you grounds to assault back. That would be retribution not self-denfense. Hence the choice of word, assualt. You instead continue on your way and then inform the police or proper authorities of the incident.

Back