• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

The officer has no say in the locking mechanism their department buys. There are Youtube videos out there showing just how bad some of the locks are and how easy they are to bypass.
In an emergency I have broken one open without a key. With enough time someone will get into it.

If properly secured, it's a robbery that you shouldn't hang on the officer whose vehicle someone broke into.
In very general terms, it's a robbery if there is a victim present. Otherwise, it's a burglary or theft. In either case, the officer would not be held responsible if all the SOPs for securing their cruiser were followed.

In very general terms, it's a robbery if there is a victim present. Otherwise, it's a burglary or theft. In either case, the officer would not be held responsible if all the SOPs for securing their cruiser were followed.

happy episode 12 GIF

Assuming from the thin wording of the press release that the rifle was discovered missing, Robbery would seem to be inapplicable. It also would not be a Break and Enter ('burglary' not being an offence in Canada) since the Offence of B & E refers to a "place", and a vehicle isn't a 'place' as defined. It would be a 'theft', possibly 'damage to public property' and maybe a few other things depending on details that aren't reported.

I can't comment on the locking mechanism or quality in OPP vehicles since I long predate that but, from what I've been told by members and casual observations, if it was properly secured, it would not likely be a quick 'opportunity snatch and grab'.

EPS Sgt arrested and charged, along with a ticket agent.

Collin Smart, 59, was charged by Alberta’s police watchdog Jan. 31 with 76 criminal offences, including obstruction of justice, forgery, breach of trust and misconduct by an officer executing a process.

Nadia Kelm, 60, a traffic ticket agent, is also charged with 76 offences, which the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) says relate to “19 separate occurrences in which arrest reports and the execution of warrants were falsified.”

(The title sounds salacious, but deep in the article it mentions that the funds were returned to the officer.)

An undercover operation at the rink ;)

A Greater Sudbury Police Service officer was arrested and charged with assaulting a 12-year-old at a hockey game Tuesday in Espanola, Ont., and has been suspended with pay.

Ontario Provincial Police said in a news release that Melisa Rancourt, 50, who was a coach at the game, allegedly threatened and assaulted a 12-year-old player from an opposing team. No injuries were reported.

Rancourt has been charged with assault, uttering threats and causing a disturbance.

"While these allegations have yet to be proven in a court of law, the actions of one individual do not represent our members or reflect the values of our organization," Greater Sudbury police Chief Paul Pedersen said in a news release.

"It is always disturbing to hear of an officer who breaks the law and brings disrepute to the policing profession. This is in no way a reflection of our members who serve this community with pride and professionalism. We are confident that the matter will be investigated thoroughly and have confidence in our judicial system and the systems of accountability through the Police Services Act."

So here's a news post that is actually the exact opposite of what this thread is supposed to be about. My apologies for the post in that it isn't about police folks behaving badly, but I couldn't think of where else to put it.

On the one hand I found myself thinking..."Why even bother writing this article? It's literally the most average policing call that happens, and probably happened a dozen times across the country that day, with a similar end result..."

But then realized there actually ARE media outlets out there that DO report on police related events even when there is no controversy & police de-escalate things, and everybody walks away without incident.

So here's a nod to those police folks who aren't behaving badly, and are doing the job well 🍻

This is an American story but too good to pass up.

Officer Jesse mistakes an acorn hitting a car roof as a gunshot so he dumps his mag into a police vehicle with a detained man inside. He also rolls around on the ground grunting thinking he's been shot only to discover he just feels weird.

Incredible.

Compromised cop... drug dealers walk...

This is an American story but too good to pass up.

Officer Jesse mistakes an acorn hitting a car roof as a gunshot so he dumps his mag into a police vehicle with a detained man inside. He also rolls around on the ground grunting thinking he's been shot only to discover he just feels weird.

Incredible.

Holy goodness!

I don't even think Farva could have matched that!

EDIT - Having read the article now, I actually kind of feel bad for the guy.

I don't know why he would believe there was someone with a suppressed firearm shooting at him FROM HIS OWN PATROL VEHICLE... after the suspect had been arrested and was in the back of his unit. Hanfcuffed.

But he did hear something his brain interpreted to be that of a suppressed gunshot, and simultaneously did feel something impact his torso.

He did genuinely believe he had been shot at and had been hit.

And with that genuine belief in mind, and not being familiar with the area, suspect, law enforcement dynamic with the public, local firearm laws (specifically in regards to suppressors), etc etc - I don't think it's fair for me to armchair quarterback him up until this point

It's his actions after that have me perplexed...

Unloading his pistol on his own patrol vehicle? With a handcuffed suspect in the back?

I'm unsure how that makes any sense...

Last edited:
Compromised cop... drug dealers walk...

That's less about a problem cop than about failure to disclose that individual's early engagement (minor though it may have been). If you "reset" your investigation because of their earlier involvement, don't pretend the earlier investigation never happened.

That's less about a problem cop than about failure to disclose that individual's early engagement (minor though it may have been). If you "reset" your investigation because of their earlier involvement, don't pretend the earlier investigation never happened.

I think you’re exactly right. Particularly when writing judicial authorizations (warrants etc), there’s an obligation on the affiant to make a full frank and fair disclosure of information material to the authorization being sought. You must give enough of the good, and all of the bad and ugly. Anything that undermines credibility or that could cause an issuing Justice to not grant the authorization must be disclosed.

If you’re up front, a lot of errors can be excused. The courts don’t expect anything close to perfection. But if you get caught knowingly deceiving a justice through non disclosure of relevant information when you ask for a warrant, you’ve just screwed your file and yourself.

The Minister responsible is grumpy about the whole thing now...

B.C. minister calls out police over stayed drug charges​

Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner confirms resumption of handling of 'Project Juliet'​

B.C.'s public safety minister says he's outraged at revelations members of Victoria's police department caused the collapse of a major drug prosecution by misleading Crown counsel.

A day after CBC reported that charges had been stayed against three men accused of sitting at the top of B.C's "fentanyl trafficking pyramid," Mike Farnworth told reporters he was as "angry as everybody else when I heard the news about the staying of the charges."

"I also want to know and will be looking into the matter in terms of getting information: what specifically went wrong, how did it go wrong and what steps are being taken to ensure that it does not happen again," said Farnworth, who is also solicitor general.

Back