• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hi.....am a little scared about joining

u_tink_im_quiet

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi. First time post.
So I'm almost 20. i have been debating joining the army for a while now. My bf is in the military (is in a different province then i am though)  I have read all the papers and such but I am scared on one level to go threw with it. I know it would be good for me and I should get into a trade as I have seen the benifits of the miltary. Just a couple of questions though:
1. Do you have to live on base kinda thing even if u are doing your cource
2. How long am I put into it as I have heard there is some one year contracts etc
3. What trades would you recommend to a 20 year old girl. I am tough and want to join.
4. Any other good advice you could give me. I have most of the papers filled out I just got to get the fire under my ass to go.

Thanks. Sorry im sure these answers are somewhere but i like to hear it from people who know what they are really talking about. :cdn:

1.  If this you are first start in the CF you will stay on base in military housing (single living in) until you have completed your courses, get a trade and get posted to a base.
2.  I am fairly confident that your first contract is 3 years or more depending on the trade.
3.  That all depends on what your interested and show an aptitude for.  Ie if you have a mechanical mind then go with some kind of trade that would best support that.  If you want a physical challenge go with something in the Cmbt Arms like the Infantry, Armoured, Artillery etc.  That is the kind of thought process you need to go through when shaping your decision.

Heres the answers i can give you, Contracts have different amount of set times, depending on the one you choose, depends how long your contract is,i dont think there is any contract less than 3 years, although it is possible to flunk out or drop out during your initial training. I cant recommend a trade to you , i know nothing about you, i dont know what kind of person you are, your strengths or your weaknesses, what interests you and what doesnt.

The best advice i could give you is to use the search function to help you but dont be afraid to ask, alot of friendly people are here and will im sure will be more then happy to help, also, you could also call the recruiting centre, or go in and talk to them, about what you might want to choose for a career, remember, its your life, Make sure you make a decision your happy with.

One more thing, start the process as soon as your ready, goodluck and dont give up.  :salute:

Jaxson said:
Heres the answers i can give you, Contracts have different amount of set times, depending on the one you choose, depends how long your contract is,i dont think there is any contract less than 3 years,

I can tell you with certainty, that when you sign on the dotted line to join, your contract will be known as "1st BE" or first basic engagement.  This is the first contract you get in the CF and it is 3 years in duration.  After you've completed your Basic, and you are in the training system or posted to a Base or Unit, it is very hard to break if you decide you don't like it anymore.  Basically, you are booked for 3 years.  Anytime after the year and a half to two year mark, (depending on your proficiency/attitude/work ethic) you'll be offered your 2nd BE which is another 3 year contract.  This contract is generally easier to break if you have a civvy job lined up or you have a valid reason to leave the CF.  After this contract, you sign the big one that will take you to your 25 year mark for your full pension - the 19 year contract.  With each month you dither on getting into the CF though, thats another month at the end of your 25 you'll still be working.  ;) Get it in, if it's something you want to do, go for it. I'm sure you'll be fine.  It used to be 20 years, but thats no longer the magic number (Unless you already have that contract signed - but its no longer offered)

Hi

i was in talking with my recruiter a few weeks ago and he said that basically the only 3 year contracts that are left are in the combat arms, most all of the trades are now 6 year contracts......i'am just going by what my recruiter has told me.......i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.....

I'll vouch for what Thompson has written.  I don't know all of the details but do know that not all first contracts are 3 years anymore.  I've heard six years for some trades as well.

Under the new TOS (terms of service) your VIE (variable initial engagement) can be anywhere from 3 to a max of 9 years.

The most common VIEs are 4 years, some are 3 and very few are 9, and yes i am speaking about NCMs.
For officers the TOS can run from 4 (pharm DEO) years to  13 years (MPO ROTP), the most common being 9 years.

What you are offered for your contract depends on your trade.  Each trade has a set sequence for offers.  For example if you were signing on the dotted line and you were an RMS Clerk (like me)  on your VIE you would be signing for 3 years, yoiur second contract would be a CE (continuing engagement) of 5 years and after that you would sign an IE 25, yes thats 25 years.

Your contract generally means that provided you like your job, don't quit, are not medically released or thrown out on your kiester for doing something illegal the military will keep you.  If you want to break your contract it simply means that you may be punished via pension stuff or they just may make you wait the entire 6 months after your request for release goes through before they let you go.  A contract does not mean they own you, it just means that you and the forces both agree that you will stay around provided everything goes well.  Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Thats it thats all. ::)

I can tell you with certainty, that when you sign on the dotted line to join, your contract will be known as "1st BE" or first basic engagement.  This is the first contract you get in the CF and it is 3 years in duration.

I can tell you something with certainty, stick with what you know best and that is being in the Armd.

Under the new TOS (terms of service) your VIE (variable initial engagement) can be anywhere from 3 to a max of 9 years.

Thanks to PteMacPooie for clarifying.

Hey, I currently live in Owen Sound, I'm 16, and I just recieved my call from DND telling me I go for my aptitude test and physical test all on March 28th...  I am getting nervous though...  In my situation, I am not too skinny, I weigh roughly 150 lbs at 5'9...  And I workout daily, eat good, etc.  I am nervous though because I would like to go Reserves until I am 17 then join full time...  I have been told not to do this though because I should finish my highschool first.  In everyones situation what should I do?  Should I be nervous for the tests?  And if I want to go light infantry should I ask to be trained somewhere?  Like I heard Quebec is a major spot...  Can someone please answer me?  :salute: Thank you.

The CFAT isn't hard.

Also, you don't get to pick if you go Light Infantry or Mechanized, that is up to the need sof the Regiment you join.

Quitting high school is one of the worst decisions you can make an you will regret it. Finish your school, than go Regular Force. And you don't get to pick where you train, but that doesn't matter anyways since BIQ is the same for everyone regardless if you are joining a Light or Mechanized Battalion. If you go PPCLI you will do BIQ at Wainright or maybe Shilo, RCR will be in Meaford and R22eR is Valcatier.

Don't be nervous, be prepared.  Keep working out and try taking some government aptitude tests, if you use the search function you will find loads of info and a few practice tests (try to practice test taking, time yourself, do this several times). Doing well on these practice tests will give you a great confidence boost that will most likely improve your score. the math on the CFAT isn't extremely difficult, but it takes time, the faster you can compute math, the better. Read up on preparing for your interview and start thinking about how you want your application to look; prepare your references and get your diploma, not having it will decrease your competitiveness and limit your opportunities for further development within the CF.

Good luck

Here's 2 practice tests given to me by the recruiter, try 'em out. Good luck  ;D

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/grt_info_e.htm

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/gct2_info_e.htm

I guess Im on the same boat as you are. My aptitude's on the 28th too. I've been doing lots of practice aptitude tests. Just go to your library and pick up a few aptitude quizzes books.

Ah thank you, good practice tests...  Hey anton where are you taking your test?

Back