• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hey look, another one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone joining now, all CFRCs are starting to implement BACKCHECK.  BackCheck is the new company contracted to check your References.  You are required to provide five (5) references now. 

You are given INSTRUCTIONS to follow.  This company is expected to check all your references.

Once you become a member of the CF, you will then have to do a SECURITY CLEARANCE and you will have to have references who have known you for a minimum of five (5) years.

It can't get any simpler than that.

On looking at Marshall's profile, we see he is only 18.  The Instructions state:

Who Can Be a Reference?

Any adult, who is not immediate family or a relative, can act as a reference.  Your references must have known you for at least five (5) continuous years of coverage (or to age 16, whichever comes first).  It is advisable to choose references who can provide information about you from a variety of different perspectives.  These people must be able to tell the interviewer about your personal character:

Employment References:  These persons are former or current co-workers, supervisors or employers.

Educational References:  These persons are former or current teachers, professors or coaches who will attest to how quickly you learn and how diligent you are/were as a student.

Personal References:  These persons are neighbours, family friends, religious/spiritual leaders or community leaders who have known you through the various stages of your life.

SO!  Being 18, his teacher of three years meets the criteria at this time.  Once Marshall is 21, then all his References must have known him for five (5) years.  Currently, his being 18, they only have to know him as far back as his 16th birthday.

George Wallace said:
On looking at Marshall's profile, we see he is only 18.  The Instructions state:

SO!  Being 18, his teacher of three years meets the criteria at this time.  Once Marshall is 21, then all his References must have known him for five (5) years.  Currently, his being 18, they only have to know him as far back as his 16th birthday.

its good that this new BACKCHECK is coming out to engrave the requirements better.

I read that when I applied, and thats why I figured my employer (3 years) was ok.  Thanks for the information and clarifying.

EDIT: added comment, did not want to doublepost.

Well I will be passing by the RC tomorrow for clarification on what they need.

mellian said:
Well I will be passing by the RC tomorrow for clarification on what they need.

Probably the best thing. While George Wallace did clear it up nicely it would still be good to know exactly what the CFRC you are dealing with want to make your application move a little more smoothly.

Ended not stopping by due to needing to check out an apartment before heading off to practice. While reviewing the reliability clearance forms, notice actually need 5 years worth of addresses. I am wondering where I got the 10 years require from, probably from my last Reliability check 3 years ago. If it is needed, wouldn't they find it on some clearance record somewhere?

As for references, I got two: A 8 year and a 1 year. Still hoping the 10 year provides confirmation and needed contact info, especially when the relationship not just friend related. Then there is a 5 year, but not sure. I keep having Jeopardy theme song in my head whenever I comb through the application, waiting for needed info. Only thing after that is getting an official transcript from University which I can easily acquire.

Apart from that, still been reviewing the occupations. Ones that peak my interest are Intelligence and Aerospace Control, yet trying to decide what other I would be interested if not qualified or available for first two.

I remember being told that the due date is January 15th, so wondering if that is correct or I misheard? Been unable to find the that info anywhere. Starting to get frustrated as no response in regards to couple of people I asked for reference, and now it is xmas week, so most likely off for the holidays. Now considering maybe asking another friend in Ottawa who known me for almost five years, just that the relation I have and the group we are part of is unconventional, yet may get a quicker response despite holidays and be able submit the application this week (Are RCs open on xmas eve?). After some of the ROTP threads, started feeling the pressure, especially with other things going on lately.

They close at noon on the 24th and will reopen on the 5th of Jan.

mellian said:
I remember being told that the due date is January 15th, so wondering if that is correct or I misheard? Been unable to find the that info anywhere. Starting to get frustrated as no response in regards to couple of people I asked for reference, and now it is xmas week, so most likely off for the holidays. Now considering maybe asking another friend in Ottawa who known me for almost five years, just that the relation I have and the group we are part of is unconventional, yet may get a quicker response despite holidays and be able submit the application this week (Are RCs open on xmas eve?). After some of the ROTP threads, started feeling the pressure, especially with other things going on lately.

If a reference is being laggy, then I would scrap the person and use someone you might actually get a response from. If the person(s) have not bothered to respond then they probably would not be ones to give much care when/if they did get called. BUT then again they may still be good and just busy, it is Christmas after all. I would try getting into contact by phone if possible to speed up an answer. (if you have not already)

I was just thinking over Educational References.  Most of my good profs have not known me for 5 continuous years.  Either they know me from way back (high school etc), or they know me more recently from university, but for less than five years.

That sort of sucks because it means I have to rely on old high school teacher references to which I am probably fading from their memory under the sheer volume of students that they've been charged with teaching in the meantime.  Those people don't know me.  I've pushed way past those limits since then.

I guess I'll have to rely on character and employment references instead.

Marshall said:
If a reference is being laggy, then I would scrap the person and use someone you might actually get a response from. If the person(s) have not bothered to respond then they probably would not be ones to give much care when/if they did get called. BUT then again they may still be good and just busy, it is Christmas after all. I would try getting into contact by phone if possible to speed up an answer. (if you have not already)

I have and said they will look into it, and now they will not be able to until after the holidays. Anyway, I got a third reference from the unconventional who agreed right away without needing to get into any discussion about the military and why.

Of course, just got news that University as closed until Jan 5th, hence will not be able to get official transcripts from them until then, doh...

Snowstorms and Holidays has caused lots of headaches for me lately.

KingKikapu said:
I was just thinking over Educational References.  Most of my good profs have not known me for 5 continuous years.  Either they know me from way back (high school etc), or they know me more recently from university, but for less than five years.

That sort of sucks because it means I have to rely on old high school teacher references to which I am probably fading from their memory under the sheer volume of students that they've been charged with teaching in the meantime.  Those people don't know me.  I've pushed way past those limits since then.

I guess I'll have to rely on character and employment references instead.

I was told if I provide at least one 5+ years, then rest of references not as big of deal. Of course, doesn't stop one from providing more than three, while making it clear of how many years they known you.

I just called RC to confirm that the transcripts need to be officialized, and was told I can wait until Jan 5th, as the due dates for complete applications Jan 15th and the decisions are done by February. Hence, even if aptitude and medical stuff not completed not done by Jan 15th, there is still time before February. That is the info I just got anyway.   

Also, one of the people I was waiting for reference info and confirmation just emailed me too.

mellian said:
I just called RC to confirm that the transcripts need to be officialized, and was told I can wait until Jan 5th, as the due dates for complete applications Jan 15th and the decisions are done by February. Hence, even if aptitude and medical stuff not completed not done by Jan 15th, there is still time before February. That is the info I just got anyway.   

Also, one of the people I was waiting for reference info and confirmation just emailed me too.

I am pretty sure everything HAS to be done by the deadline. Or at least that is what I've been told and followed, they are usually there for a reason :P

But, if the recruiter said that you can do that stuff after the 15th then it must be?  ???

Marshall said:
I am pretty sure everything HAS to be done by the deadline. Or at least that is what I've been told and followed, they are usually there for a reason :P

But, if the recruiter said that you can do that stuff after the 15th then it must be?  ???

I will try to get all of it done before the due date, as well confirm on Jan 5th, but I figure if it is only the medical that is left or delayed a bit, then may possibly let it slide if rest is completed? I will see I guess. Since I do anything about it until RC re-opens after the holidays, I may as well focus on other things like moving to a new apartment I just signed, finding someone for this apartment, family xmas stuff, complete re-vamp derby league website, and etc in the meantime.

mellian said:
I will try to get all of it done before the due date, as well confirm on Jan 5th, but I figure if it is only the medical that is left or delayed a bit, then may possibly let it slide if rest is completed? I will see I guess. Since I do anything about it until RC re-opens after the holidays, I may as well focus on other things like moving to a new apartment I just signed, finding someone for this apartment, family xmas stuff, complete re-vamp derby league website, and etc in the meantime.

I am not sure on this. All I know is the board would probably want it done for the due date. As for medical, unless you get 100% on that then it will extend your process to 2-5 weeks extra for it to go to Ottawa. But if you do not have any important medical problems you will be fine. :)

Marshall said:
I am not sure on this. All I know is the board would probably want it done for the due date. As for medical, unless you get 100% on that then it will extend your process to 2-5 weeks extra for it to go to Ottawa. But if you do not have any important medical problems you will be fine. :)

We will see, depends on their definition and perspective on 'important medical problem'.

mellian said:
We will see, depends on their definition and perspective on 'important medical problem'.

Yea, as long as there is not anything you think would hold you back you should be fine (unless the med discovered something of course). Either way keep it up and Merry Christmas :D

So yes, I ended up deciding at the end, after doing the first practice of the new year, that I will wait for the following year to apply. Rollerderby need just to strong right now and so much going on this year in regards it, especially as our league just became the first canadian and first international league to join Women's Flat Track Roller Derby (WFTDA). That and also really feels I may reach my peak this year as well. If I miss the bulk of it this summer, I would end regretting it. I will also regret not applying to this now, but something that will really come into effect until after University anyway.  Only thing wondering now is when can start applying for 2009-10 ROTP? I rather not needing to re-ask for the references again year later, so applying for following as soon as I can would be great.

Apart from that, the world is really small as the last recruiter I saw to check out my application (which I would have submitted if University didn't take their sweet time sending the official transcripts), is one of my team's newest players boyfriend, lol. Quite amusing when I realized where I met him before at my team's anniversary the other day, and then later helped out with the newest player moving almost the rest of my stuff to the new apartment. At least I know who to ask and look for next time I am at the RC.

mellian said:
Only thing wondering now is when can start applying for 2009-10 ROTP? I rather not needing to re-ask for the references again year later, so applying for following as soon as I can would be great.

The deadline was January 15th 2009 actually. I would go to the Recruiting Center ASAP to see if there's any way you can submit a late application.

Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back