• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hey everyone! (Question inside)

tanman89

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone just to start i would like to thank everyone for the amazing information i have found on this site it has helped me quite a bit. But as everyone knows everyones recruitment process is unique so i thought i would post mine here and hopfully get everyones opinion on it and maybe advise me on a path to take. So here we go....

I am applying to be an NCM and my 3 choices are Armoured/Field Artillery/Supply tech , all of which are not supposed to open untill April. My problem is one of legal nature as of 4-5 months i was accused of assault when i defended my friend when an individual started attacking him and i put the individual in a headlock and told him to calm down to which he then picked me up over his head smashed me off things and attempted to throw me to the ground. Anyways the end result was i got charged he did not because apparently he has ties to the police community etc. Not trying to shift responsibility in any manner but ive talked to other police forces that say usually with an incident like that both people would normally recieve a fine/charged for public disturbance which i would've completly agreed with.

Now my lawer has informed me that we could more then likely get a peace bond for 3-6 months probably and thats not technically deemed as a legal obligation, as I've informed my lawer that the military is my #1 goal and that i do not want to just say yeah okay lets go ahead with a peacebond and then be disqualified for it... We could take it to court but a court date would have to be set aproximatly 6 months down the road and right now because the charge is pending i have legal obligation. To be honest i just want to get my life underway and start a career with the canadian forces and if taking a peacebond now will help me do that a little faster then thats the path i will take especially seeing at the end of the peacebond if i complete it successfully the charge goes away and isnt on my record. As we all know its a long enough wait to get in and i dont want to do anything to lengthen that process.

Now before people tell me you must be cleared of legal obligation and dismiss me please understand i do know that but what has peeked my curiosity is that i have multiple friends that are in armoured and infintry and theyve told me that it should'nt be a problem if i get a peacebond or even probation as they have people in theyre unit that were on probation when they applied and are in now and still finishing out theyre probation order and im just curious is there anything special i have to do to go to achieve this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated like i say long story short im trying to figure out wether taking the peacebond now and getting my application going in april would be better then say waiting 6 months for a trial date then applying. For what its worth ive already completed my CFAT and did very well and qualify for all my choices.

Sorry in advance if what im saying makes no sense as sometimes i have problems projecting what im trying to say... if theres any questions or need of clarification please feel free to PM me or reply and ill try to get across what im saying a little better.

Thanks again in advance

John

Talk to an actual recruiter as they are the the experts and they will be the ones who will be able to give you the most accurate, up to date and correct information regarding your application.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Thank you for your quick reply i guess i was just kindof looking for anyone with personal experiance in this matter so when i go into the recruiters tomorrow and talk to them i can go in a little bit more informed and educated on the matter... as i know sometimes the recruiters arnt aware of certain things that can be done in that matter because theyve never had to deal with it etc. I know theyre very busy and sometimes arnt 100% on every situation that arises so i would rather be able to go in and say i hear that some people have done this and this and have them go oh really? ill look into it rather then dismissing me right off the hop. Thanks again for your quick response :)

tanman89 said:
I am applying to be an NCM and my 3 choices are Armoured/Field Artillery/Supply tech , all of which are not supposed to open untill April.

IF those trades open in April. That's a big IF.

Yes i've also discussed that BIG IF with the recruiters and if by mid april they are not opened up the recruiter will sit down with me and discuss other possibilitys within the CF with trades that are open at that time. Like i say i just wanna get my life started not saying i wanna get into something i dont like. But the military has so much to offer someone like me and im interested in so many of the trades that the CF can offer that theres really not an occupation they could offer me that i wouldnt enjoy and give 110% everyday on the job. Once again thanks for the input :)

tanman89 said:
Yes i've also discussed that BIG IF with the recruiters and if by mid april they are not opened up the recruiter will sit down with me and discuss other possibilitys within the CF with trades that are open at that time. Like i say i just wanna get my life started not saying i wanna get into something i dont like. But the military has so much to offer someone like me and im interested in so many of the trades that the CF can offer that theres really not an occupation they could offer me that i wouldnt enjoy and give 110% everyday on the job. Once again thanks for the input :)

:2c:  If you're taking time to discuss the 'BIG IF' you mentioned, why not discuss/disclose your legal situation with them....

Because at the time the crown was talking about dropping the charge all together so it wasnt a concern of mine at that particular time but unfortunatly theyve decided now (as of friday) they want a peacebond and because this has been going on already for 4-5 months (without me waiving my right to a speedy trial) they agree that a shortterm peacebond would suffice.
Once again i appreciate the quick response and advise. Like i say i will be contacting them a 8:00 sharp when they open and talking about it with them but like i said just looking for someone with experiance in this type of situation to kind of prepare me for what type of questions i should be asking...

Thanks again,

John

So i was talking to my lawer today and he says the court will be willing to drop the charges if i can prove my intent to join the military. (im not using the military to get out of the charge as i applyed and everything before this whole situation arose). Now some people have told me i can get a letter well others say i cant ... Ive called the recruiters and left a message and just looking for some feedback before they get back to me i would've drove up today but the weather was just to crazy to try.

Another question is if i cannot get a letter from a recruiter stating that i do have a file with a completed cfat and intending on applying everything, what would i be able to do to show the courts my intent on joining the military? Ive fully explained to them that even if i apply i may not get in and theres many factors that go into a military application thus why i can understand if it would be difficult to get a letter and the judge said that is fine he just wants some proof that i intend on joining. I tryed the method of getting my lawer to contact the recruiter and getting the recruiter to verbally say i am applying but my lawer informed me its gotta be something from them in writing.

Thanks again everyone for your help,

John

You've called the only person that can answer whether you can get a letter from the recruiter or not, the recruiter themselves. To make it easier, have your lawyer draft up a quick letter that the individual can read and sign. Be patient, and wait for the phone call.

Back