• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helmet Sizing

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
When I was first issued a helmet, they used a head measuring tool and sized accordingly yet I always found the large helmet to seem kinda big.  I always had the leather headband tightened up to it's maximum to keep it from flopping around and to relieve some of the pressure at the top of my head.  Since I was at the maximum (and then some) adjustment of the headband I though I would exchange for a medium helmet and give it a try.  It seems to fit well enough as far as the headband goes but now the straps are almost at their maxium adjustment for a somewhat relaxed fit (ie. not too tight on the chin).  I'm worried that trying to wear a skull cap or belaclava under the helmet in winter will be difficult due to not enough adjustment left. 

My main concern is that on getting a Skydex pad kit and probably a 4 point strap system and I'm not entirely sure which size of helmet I should go with.  According to the sizing tool I should be in a large so should I go with that and hope that the pad kit solves the problems I had with the stock suspension? 

Hmmm... you had a large, found that it appeared to be too big, swopped it for a medium and all of a sudden, you're wondering if the medium is too small?

Go figure, the QM types might have known their stuff at the get go.

My suggestion.... go to your section commander and ask
Talk to someone who has already installed the skydex pads

geo said:
Hmmm... you had a large, found that it appeared to be too big, swopped it for a medium and all of a sudden, you're wondering if the medium is too small?

Go figure, the QM types might have known their stuff at the get go.

My suggestion.... go to your section commander and ask
Talk to someone who has already installed the skydex pads
That's why I thought I'd throw some questions around here.  And yes, large seemed too big and the medium looks like it may be too small and i was wondering how skydex or OE pads may effect sizing.

You'll probably find that the large is the right size for ya.
(but that's just me.

I found that I had to drop from a large helmet to a Med  when I installed theOregon Areo BLSS Kit (better than the Skydex IMHO) you may have to do the same with the Skydex system. Best bet is to try one and see how it fits.

MG34 said:
I found that I had to drop from a large helmet to a Med  when I installed theOregon Areo BLSS Kit (better than the Skydex IMHO) you may have to do the same with the Skydex system. Best bet is to try one and see how it fits.

Exact same with my OA BLU kit....

MG34 said:
Luckily enough, Matt had a skydex kit installed in a medium helmet to try on at the roadshow.  Fit great.  I think it defnitely would be too big in a Large (for me).

Back