• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helmet counter weight

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a helmet counter weight  for the standard issue helmet?

Nothing specific I can find in CGCS.

Quick look on google finds the following:

http://www.explosiveopsgear.com/NVGcounterweight.html

http://www.neasg.org/showthread.php?23056-Helmet-counterweights-reviewed-and-tested

I've also seen a jerry-rigged set up with a pouch and a spare radio battery

Damn thanks a lot.  The EOG looks like it would be perfect.  Any suggestions on how much weight would be a good counter balance to off set an mnvg?

We use a big square piece of velcro on the back of our helmets to hold the battery pack with counterweights attached to in, I'd guess they weigh as much as the goggles

Edit: I just realized that by standard helmet you probably mean combat helmet, not airplane helmet, in which case Velcro probably isn't going to work out so well.

kev994 said:
We use a big square piece of velcro on the back of our helmets to hold the battery pack with counterweights attached to in, I'd guess they weigh as much as the goggles

Edit: I just realized that by standard helmet you probably mean combat helmet, not airplane helmet, in which case Velcro probably isn't going to work out so well.

Velcro can still be attached to a cloth Cam cover.

George Wallace said:
Velcro can still be attached to a cloth Cam cover.
Yes, but though it holds my counterweight nicely while sitting, it might not stay in place for dynamic movements

Sew the pouch right on to a spare (if you can acquire one) helmet cover.  I know at least one armoured crewman that has a spare helmet cover, and has modified it for his personal preferences.

I know that's a simple and obvious idea but I'm just throwing it out there in case it wasn't thought of. 

Please keep us posted on however you solve it.  I've thought about doing the same thing but haven't had an urgent need to tackle it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarnhamar said:
Damn thanks a lot.  The EOG looks like it would be perfect.  Any suggestions on how much weight would be a good counter balance to off set an mnvg?

If you're using a standard PVS-14, I'd stay light at about 12oz. You don't want to add too much weight right at your neck.

As far as attachment, I've rigged something up with light black bungee cord as well as the Velcro, both of which you should be able to find with your CQ or mat tech

NavyShooter said:
Staple the Velcro on for extra security? 

;-)

On the way to Bosnia, 94-95, we took possession of our new composite helmets. Something French IIRC. Anyway, we couldn't get the blue cover to fit properly. Some mechs came in the next day and their's were perfect. Asked how they made it stay in place, they answered "With a staple gun." Yup, the staples were penetrating the shell. Again, IIRC, we got new helmets before we deployed.

Back