• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters start rescue efforts after landslide traps hundreds on B.C. highway

I wonder if anyone has tried to mention those examples to the current protestors in northern BC :unsure:
I think the LNG piece is a different kettle of fish, dimsum. Internal clashing with spillover to impact prosperity and reduced overall COs levels (LNG offsetting coal emissions, etc.) Perhaps the First Nations bodies in the region should consider an "Elected vs Hereditary" Thunderdome to sort things out?

I think the LNG piece is a different kettle of fish, dimsum. Internal clashing with spillover to impact prosperity and reduced overall COs levels (LNG offsetting coal emissions, etc.) Perhaps the First Nations bodies in the region should consider an "Elected vs Hereditary" Thunderdome to sort things out?
Even the CBC is starting to catch on. Carol Off was interviewing one of the ”land defenders”. She wasn’t exactly kind.

Can you share a link to that interview?
I am a bit of a luddite, but it was on “As it happens” on 24 Nov. I only caught a part of it but she was pressing pretty hard on the theme of “what gives you the authority to blockade a pipeline that 90% of your fellow first nation people wants and approved”.

I am a bit of a luddite, but it was on “As it happens” on 24 Nov. I only caught a part of it but she was pressing pretty hard on the theme of “what gives you the authority to blockade a pipeline that 90% of your fellow first nation people wants and approved”.
I found it on here - scroll to "Nov 24". It plays the whole thing though, and I don't know when that exact part starts.

It's a 'mega complex mega project':

LNG, BC and Me: Five Surprising Things I’ve Learned over the Past Three Years​

>Refinery that supplies estimated one-third of Lower Mainland gas runs out of crude oil​

Another helpful event which might refocus some people to think about the impacts of aggressive "de-carbonization".

Chinook has arrived in Abbotsford.
In a completely unrelated comment, how many RSMs, CSMs, and other folks in Gagetown and elsewhere are ready to give a blast for not blousing your pants, until they realize it's the new CADPAT flight suit? :sneaky:

In a completely unrelated comment, how many RSMs, CSMs, and other folks in Gagetown and elsewhere are ready to give a blast for not blousing your pants, until they realize it's the new CADPAT flight suit? :sneaky:
The Army knows Tac Hel operated in CADPAT flying gear. I’d be very surprised if it’s even on any SNCM’s mind. The usual SOP is their asking to check out a beast that can carry 10 tons (like an M777 howitzer and battery’s worth of 155mm ammo) at 250 km/h…

>Refinery that supplies estimated one-third of Lower Mainland gas runs out of crude oil​

Another helpful event which might refocus some people to think about the impacts of aggressive "de-carbonization".
I don’t understand what you’re getting at, if there’s a reduced amount of gas and diesel available, and presumably a price increase to go with that, wouldn’t that make people want devices/cars that use something other than gas and diesel? Or maybe less of it?

Maybe. It might also wake them up to the implications of artificially-created shortages of gas and diesel and a ceiling on the size of the fleet which can be supported by current generating capacity.

Maybe. It might also wake them up to the implications of artificially-created shortages of gas and diesel and a ceiling on the size of the fleet which can be supported by current generating capacity.
You mean if we developed our resources properly, gas could be no where near where it is, or could bring in massive tax revenue compared to what we get?

"We" keep putting the LPC in control of the policy levers, so I suppose "we" are SOL in that respect.

Feet and knees together... 100+ mm inbound

More areas placed under flood watch in southern B.C., as province braces for return of storms​

THE LATEST:

• Up to 120 millimetres of rain is set to fall on the southern parts of British Columbia on Saturday, threatening communities already ravaged by floods and mudslides.
  • Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that a new committee will be formed to manage the province's recovery from the flooding disaster.
  • The River Forecast Centre has issued a flood watch for the South Coast, Lower Fraser Valley and the southern regions of Vancouver Island.
  • More than 2,000 residents in Merritt are under a boil water advisory after being allowed to return home, following the evacuation of the city due to floods.
  • Three highways will be proactively closed on Saturday afternoon as the province braces for more damage from storms.
  • The provincial and federal governments will be matching all donations to the Red Cross's flood fundraising campaign for one month, tripling the donation amount for each individual donation.
  • For a list of up-to-date flood warnings, visit the River Forecast Centre.

Communities throughout southern B.C. are preparing for an atmospheric river to strike on Saturday, even as federal plans to help the province recover from devastating floods and mudslides were announced.

Rain has started to fall in the region, but the heaviest precipitation is set to arrive on Saturday night, according to Environment Canada, which issued a rainfall warning on Friday and warned of another storm front arriving on Tuesday.

More than 100 millimetres of rain will hit near the mountains in southern B.C., with 80 millimetres of rain set to fall on the Fraser Valley, an area southeast of Metro Vancouver devastated by floods two weeks ago.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited the community of Abbotsford in the Fraser Valley on Friday, seeing flood damage first-hand and talking to local officials, first responders and First Nations leaders.

Hundreds of people remain away from their homes due to the disaster, with supply chains still constrained and communities still dealing with standing water.

Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun said the estimated 220 millimetres of rain falling on the city over the next five days would be a "situation they had never faced before."

Trudeau said he saw "amazing" strength and resilience from first responders in Abbotsford, and he praised community efforts in the wake of the floods.

Well done that Rocky Mountain Ranger!

Anatomy of a rescue: How heroic strangers saved injured Surrey family from a mudslide​

It was a struggle for the determined dad and nurse to carry the 6-foot-2 teenager over the many mounds of debris lying between the van and a life-saving rope.

A 15-metre rope dangling down the embankment had been tied to a utility pole at the top by another stranded motorist, an infantry soldier with the Rocky Mountain Rangers, a Canadian Armed Forces reserve unit.

Back