• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HEEEEELP!!!!! Posting/Course Date Problem

Glorified Ape

Inactive
Reaction score
I have what I believe might be a big problem:

My last exam is on April 29th. My posting date to Gagetown is May 8th. My CAP course message (received AFTER the posting message) states May 1st as the course start date. It also states that I should report the day before the course starts (April 30th).

Going on the information in my posting message, I managed to secure a storage locker lease starting May 3rd. None of my things are packed yet. I specifically requested that I report on the 8th [they give some leeway in the posting date due to school stuff] prior to ever receiving my posting message (it just so happens that the date I requested is the posting date I received - everyone got the same date). I received no reply, but thought it unimportant since my posting date was the same as that which I'd requested anyway.

So here's the possible situation - my exam finishes at 7 pm, April 29th. I'm supposed to move all my crap and get from Montreal to Gagetown for the next day (without anywhere to put my stuff, since my lease on a locker doesn't start until the 3rd).

If anyone has any suggestions or insights from past experience, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've contacted my ULO and left them a message, but I thought I'd see what the people here had to say in the meantime.

How about "have fun"?

Everybody at some time or other gets a couple of deadlines that need juggling due to multiple demands.  This looks like your turn ... good luck!

..and for your first problem-solving exam. ;)..........[sorry, no help here, just cheap shots]......good luck.

Centurian1985 said:
How about "have fun"?

Everybody at some time or other gets a couple of deadlines that need juggling due to multiple demands.  This looks like your turn ... good luck!

True enough, but what I'm most concerned about is whether I'll be allowed to juggle the dates. A buddy of mine going on the same course was told that if he didn't show up for the 30th/1st, he'd have to sit on PAT platoon for 4 months waiting for the next course. That seems a bit extreme to me, since by reporting on May 8th, he'd only miss about 6 days, much of which will likely be consumed by admin stuff.

I can deal with tight schedules, but I have no illusions about my inability to move my stuff and get from Montreal to Gagetown in about 12 hours.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..and for your first problem-solving exam. ;)..........[sorry, no help here, just cheap shots]......good luck.

Thanks, I'll need it.

Ape,

Only suggestion I have (from my limited experience with deadlines and exam schedules) is to try and change your exam dates. Many profs will do this as they already have supplemental exams ready to go. Worth a try anyway. Also, contact the CTC and see what they say. Your buddy may not be as persuasive as you.

Well, apparently April 30th is it. The course messages were apparently late in coming (I got mine on the 22nd), which is why there's now such a sh-t show going on. One week's notice to pack, move, make arrangements, and travel, interspersed with final exams (again, one of them being the night before I'm supposed to be in Gagetown).

I have to say, I'm sorely unimpressed with this amateur-hour bulls**t.

[/rant]

You could pay a company to do your moving and storage, that way all you'd have to focus on is the exam and the drive to gagetown.
I suppose it would cost though.

Ape,
I owe you an apology. I think this may be the most appropriate public forum to make it, since the title draws attention, and it's under your screen name.

I made a nasty remark that was undeserved, and I apologize to you for it.

If it's any consolation, it made me realize that I still had some issues to sort out, and forced me to look at myself from a new perspective.

And I did NOT like what I was seeing. I was no longer LEADING but rather was turning into the sort of Know-Everything, Been-Everywhere, 'You-Can-Never-Be-Me' computer tough-guy I despise. I was lashing out, and that is exactly the kind of behaviour that should never be exhibited by a Leader.

I took it out on you, and you most certainly did not warrant it.

I'm sorry.

Che said:
You could pay a company to do your moving and storage, that way all you'd have to focus on is the exam and the drive to gagetown.
I suppose it would cost though.

Yeah, it would probably cost more than I can afford on an Ocdt's pay. I've got alot of my stuff packed by now, the major difficulty is finding a rental truck on short notice.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Claimable??

I'm not sure, but I doubt it - my posting is restricted and they won't pay to move my stuff out to Gagetown so I'm assuming they won't pay any moving costs, even to storage.

Hey, I was actually in the almost exact same boat as you, until a few days ago!  I too received a late posting message with COS date May 8.  I too have my last exam on the 29th and my lease ends on the 30th!  I'm getting posted to PRETC Borden and my ULO was quick to ask me if I had lots of F&E.  I told him I did and he arranged for me to have long term storage here in my home town.  No memos, I'm not really sure how he authorized it.  Now this could be done based on several possible differences in our postings.  My posting to Borden is restricted and will be for well over 8 mos.  I think if the posting is over 6 mos you can try to get your stuff put in storage at cost, which is what they did for me.  The movers are coming and packing and everything.  When I get posted to my first Unit, with a full move, in December it's easy-peasy, the stuff is sent wherever I go.  I know exactly how you're feeling, as a worst case scenario sell as much of the stuff you can to your roomates and whatnot and go with only your clothes and vittles, it's just stuff and probably not really nice stuff since you've been an OCdt for the last 4 years, and it's all replaceable.

If you are really in a pinch remember that in canada the landlord is required to hold onto any of the crap you leave behind for 6 months.  Now i know its not a nice thing to do to someone (assuming they were a nice landlord) but i had to do this once while living in res at Uvic.  They raised all hell about needing my stuff out of there by april 30th and anything left would be tossed.  I was freaked out till my Dad informed me about the tennants act and how it requires them to hang onto your stuff for 6 months before junking it.  Perhaps you could ask your current land lord about keeping some things in the appartment for a few days.  If he/she says no, then just remind them about the tennat act and say you/your friend will be back in X number of days to pick up your stuff.

***note she can charge you the going rate for a storage locker but it seems like thats what you are going to have to do anyway***

I have been told by my unit that I will be doing BOTPII on May 22 and starting CAP May 29 but still no message. 

Glorified Ape:

Have you received a kit list/joining instructions/anything at all that can fill in the information void?

Thanks.

Thaern said:
If you are really in a pinch remember that in canada the landlord is required to hold onto any of the crap you leave behind for 6 months.  Now i know its not a nice thing to do to someone (assuming they were a nice landlord) but i had to do this once while living in res at Uvic.  They raised all hell about needing my stuff out of there by april 30th and anything left would be tossed.  I was freaked out till my Dad informed me about the tennants act and how it requires them to hang onto your stuff for 6 months before junking it.  Perhaps you could ask your current land lord about keeping some things in the appartment for a few days.  If he/she says no, then just remind them about the tennat act and say you/your friend will be back in X number of days to pick up your stuff.

***note she can charge you the going rate for a storage locker but it seems like thats what you are going to have to do anyway***

Be very careful making generalizations like that.  Landlord and Tennants legislation is provincial jurisdiction and can vary from province to province.  Just because it says that in BC, doesn't mean that it does in Alberta,  Ontario or Quebec.

Eowyn said:
Be very careful making generalizations like that.  Landlord and Tennants legislation is provincial jurisdiction and can vary from province to province.  Just because it says that in BC, doesn't mean that it does in Alberta,  Ontario or Quebec.

This is extremely true.  My major is Law&Justice in university, so I have a background in these issues.

In Ontario, you do not have the liberty to leave stuff behind at your apartment and expect that it would be safe for 6 months. 

Specifically, Section 42, Article (subsection) 1 of the aformentioned act spells this out:

Disposal of abandoned property, unit vacated

42. (1) A landlord may sell, retain for the landlord's own use or otherwise dispose of property in a rental unit or the residential complex if the rental unit has been vacated in accordance with,

(a) a notice of termination of the landlord or the tenant;

(b) an agreement between the landlord and the tenant to termitena the tenancy;

(c) subsection 68 (2); or

(d) an order of the Tribunal terminating the tenancy or evicting the tenant.

If you need anymore help regarding the legality of this issue, feel free to PM me.  If I can't provide you with an answer, I have very good relationships with my Profs (Ph.D+LLB)that I could get answers from easily.

Alrighty, well I've managed to do the semi-impossible and arrange storage, pack, and move almost all my stuff in 1 day, largely due to the assistance of two of my friends. I have a flight out to Gagetown on Sunday - all that's left is to move my computer, once I'm done studying, cancel my internet/phone, have my mail forwarded, etc. Luckily, I have a pretty efficient ULO Loggie or I'd have had to drive out to Gagetown.

paracowboy said:
Ape,
I owe you an apology. I think this may be the most appropriate public forum to make it, since the title draws attention, and it's under your screen name.

I made a nasty remark that was undeserved, and I apologize to you for it.

If it's any consolation, it made me realize that I still had some issues to sort out, and forced me to look at myself from a new perspective.

And I did NOT like what I was seeing. I was no longer LEADING but rather was turning into the sort of Know-Everything, Been-Everywhere, 'You-Can-Never-Be-Me' computer tough-guy I despise. I was lashing out, and that is exactly the kind of behaviour that should never be exhibited by a Leader.

I took it out on you, and you most certainly did not warrant it.

I'm sorry.

Thanks para - no worrries though, I can understand how one might have a short fuse under those circumstances.  :warstory:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Claimable??

Unfortunately not, as far as I know. It's a restricted posting so they won't pay for the move (or storage, I would expect).

EMEgirl said:
Hey, I was actually in the almost exact same boat as you, until a few days ago!  I too received a late posting message with COS date May 8.  I too have my last exam on the 29th and my lease ends on the 30th!  I'm getting posted to PRETC Borden and my ULO was quick to ask me if I had lots of F&E.  I told him I did and he arranged for me to have long term storage here in my home town.  No memos, I'm not really sure how he authorized it.  Now this could be done based on several possible differences in our postings.  My posting to Borden is restricted and will be for well over 8 mos.  I think if the posting is over 6 mos you can try to get your stuff put in storage at cost, which is what they did for me.  The movers are coming and packing and everything.  When I get posted to my first Unit, with a full move, in December it's easy-peasy, the stuff is sent wherever I go.  I know exactly how you're feeling, as a worst case scenario sell as much of the stuff you can to your roomates and whatnot and go with only your clothes and vittles, it's just stuff and probably not really nice stuff since you've been an OCdt for the last 4 years, and it's all replaceable.

Hmmmm... maybe I'll get lucky and they'll cover the monthly cost of my storage locker (about $90). I guess we'll see.

Thaern said:

Well, luckily I've taken care of storing my stuff so I won't have to rely on the tender mercies of a Quebec landlord (notoriously shifty). That's a good point to keep in mind though.

scoutfinch said:
I have been told by my unit that I will be doing BOTPII on May 22 and starting CAP May 29 but still no message. 

Glorified Ape:

Have you received a kit list/joining instructions/anything at all that can fill in the information void?

Thanks.

My ULO Cpl. printed me out a couple of the more important sections from the joining instructions - most specifically on kit and travel/reporting. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll see if I can answer them.

Well done Glorified Ape!!

You may have what it takes to be an officer after all!

Good luck to you - keep us posted when you have the time.

Roy Harding said:
Well done Glorified Ape!!

You may have what it takes to be an officer after all!

Thanks... I think. The "after all" part makes me wonder...

Good luck to you - keep us posted when you have the time.
[/quote]

Thank you - I'll need it.

Oh, good point, it would be provincial not federal.  In that case disregard what i said and find out how it works in quebec.  Sorry bout that.

Glorified Ape said:
Thanks... I think. The "after all" part makes me wonder...

As a (retired) Warrant, it's my job to "make you wonder", and "think".

Given how you handled this last minute, no notice "emergency", I think you'll do well - you won't need luck, you appear to have the moxie required.

Now get on with it, "Mr. Ape".

Back