• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing (Merged) Including Hearing Tests and Hearing Categories

Are you being forced to release based on your medical status ?

If you are forced to release then you have a cause for a VA Pension.  It will not be much as hearing is not disabling in our modern society.  You will not be allowed to join the militray again on a Med Release and you will unlikely be able to get into a police force.  If they are keeping you then you got a job til they change their mind (kinda like being a full time reservist).  Breaking you is compensated by the VA pension, they are under no obligation to keep you unless they can employ you out of trade (ie HQ or ERE).

Ohh, they are required to prove that your hearing is not correctable by aids.  If it is, then they have to offer those aid and retain you UNLESS those aids impair your ability to do your job or the use of those aids would further damage your hearing.

If you are being retained in the RegF....then yes, they are taking resposability for you.

If you do not meet the trade speacs for the reserves, thats just how it is.

H4 and no VA lump sum? Talk to your regional legion advocate- that is not right. There is a disability there, unless you said that you went to rock concerts in your leisure time and stuck your head in the speakers...

Hey all.

Not sure what to do? I have recently applied for reserve forces. Passed everything except my hearing. Came in as H3. Min stardards are H2. My levels were 35 db in one ear. the other was fine. New entrants are to meet H2 standards. My thoughts are is there any real chance or point in appaeling this issue. It dosn't make sense to go in a @#$$desturber.

Willing to hear your thoughts on this. Ha Ha pun intended

Thanks

Duane said:
Hey all.

Not sure what to do? I have recently applied for reserve forces. Passed everything except my hearing. Came in as H3. Min stardards are H2. My levels were 35 db in one ear. the other was fine. New entrants are to meet H2 standards. My thoughts are is there any real chance or point in appaeling this issue. It dosn't make sense to go in a @#$$desturber.

Willing to hear your thoughts on this. Ha Ha pun intended

Thanks

Did you get retested by an audiologist?  When I worked Recruiting, we did that routinely if someone had a potential hearing category on the screening test...if however you were retested and still came out H3, well I'd have to bluntly put it that you're hooped.

MM

Thanks medicineman.

That's what I thought. I work with and near heavy machinery and tools and will keep getting hearing tests done in case by some miracle my test levels change.

Am I correct in thinking I could then bring the new test scores to the recruiting office and ask them to update my status at at later date, which would them re qualify me.

And if so would I then have to go through the whole process again, or just the PT and Med.

If you had your hearing retested with a formal audiogram (the one at the CFRC is actually a screening test) by an audiologist and the results are good, I'd bring them back for re-evaluation. 

MM

The subject is self explanatory. Is there any position (Whatsoever, I don't care if you clean toilets) in the army where being in perfect medical condition is not necessary? Although I am 17, my hearing is not the best, and I was recommened to get hearing aids. I can talk with someone normally, and without problems, but my deafness shows when you play a low frequency sound, that is what I have trouble with.

I also have slight colorblindness (Doctor told me it was usual for guys  to have it).

So here I am, wanting to join the Forces. Will they even consider me? Or will they just ignore my application? Is there any jobs that do not require this?

Fadiko said:
I also have slight colorblindness (Doctor told me it was usual for guys  to have it).

So here I am, wanting to join the Forces. Will they even consider me? Or will they just ignore my application? Is there any jobs that do not require this?

Best bet is to ask CFRC.

You may also find these discussions of interest.

Enrollment medical > Hearing Test Questions
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32508.0/nowap.html

Color Blindness...
http://army.ca/forums/threads/26420.0.html

Colour Vision Category 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37585.0.html

Hey buddy, as for your hearing, here you go:
H1
- the member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 30 dB in each ear in the 500 to 8000 Hz
  frequency range.

H2
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 30 dB in each ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

H3
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 50 dB in either ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

H4
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to only hear sounds greater than 50 dB in either ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz

There are different requirements for different trades, when I find the link to the exact requirements il update my post! Good luck man!

DarkInfantry232 said:
There are different requirements for different trades, when I find the link to the exact requirements il update my post!

Medical Standards for Military Occupations
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/index.page

Date modified:2013-07-23

I see a .pdf of one dated 11 July 2005. ( Ref : A-MD-154-000/FP-000 APPENDIX 1, ANNEX E )

It may now be obsolete.

It is probably best for the original poster to wait until the new one comes out, or even better, to contact a CFRC.

I am hoping to get feed back on understanding why I was rejected from the recruitment process. I have looked through this forum along with the Hearing standards for the Canadian armed forces recruitment process. I recently received my rejection letter stating my hearing ability does not meet common enrolment medical standards.

H1- the member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 30 dB in each ear in the 500 to 8000 Hz
  frequency range.

H2
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 30 dB in each ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

H3 - The member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 50 dB in either ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

H4
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to only hear sounds greater than 50 dB in either ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

My results from an Audiogram were: 250Hz-3000Hz never went below 10dB, 4000Hz Right ear 55dB, Left ear 35db.
Looking at the post and medical standards I would fall into H2 hearing correct? There for should not of received the letter (In my opinion)

Can some one explain to me why I would be rejected based on my auditory results and if I am not classified as H2?

Please note the date this is posted, since all CFRC are closed till the 6th of January and I am hoping to get insight until then.

Thank you for your time and this is my first post on here so I apologize if it is in the wrong spot or anything else that is wrong with it.

SPM said:
Please note the date this is posted, since all CFRC are closed till the 6th of January and I am hoping to get insight until then.

I think you will hope in vain. No one here will be able to answer your question.

55 dB in your right ear would indicate H4 to me....but I could be mistaken....

I am not an audiologist, nor is anyone else here on the forum (as far as I know).  While I can Google with the best of them, I am not in a place to explain an audiogram nor to relate it to the CAF common medical standards.

Licensed medical professionals do not diagnose on an internet chat board; all you'll get will be Internet Experts expressing opinions.

Wait, then talk to the recruiters in two weeks to understand the what and why.  And if things change and you are able to join the CAF, you'll already have completed PO 401.07: Hurry Up And Wait.

PMedMoe said:
55 dB in your right ear would indicate H4 to me....but I could be mistaken....

He mentioned 55 dB @ 4 kHz, but 10 dB for the speech range of 500-3000 Hz, which on the face of it would indicate H2.  Perhaps they forgot to mention some other reason that the hearing didn't meet the enrolment standard.  :dunno:

Was wondering the same thing...since (unless things have changed in the recent past) H2 is minimum hearing for CEMS.  Might be the pattern of the hearing loss or something a little more drastic we're not privy to.

:pop:

Two weeks ago I received my notice that my appeal was successfully over turned. I am now currently on the Merit list. A long journey has ended an even longer journey ahead. Excited to hopefully hear a job offer soon so I can start in the military. Thanks to every one for reading this post and good luck with your applications.

Back