• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Head Shaving/BMQ (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kat Stevens said:
You can keep the mustache, but you have to shave your armpits, eyebrow, and legs for hygiene reasons.

Why'd you have to go and ruin the surprise? Anyways now that the cat's out of the bag.. the course staffwill march the course into the shower room and instruct them how to properly shave themselfs and having your fireteam partner get the areas you can't reach

Thats too bad I even have a nickname for my moustache tsokman jr...

And another one gets trashed.

tsokman,

We're not here for your entertainment. That 'beep' your hearing is the radar screen. You're on it.

Milnet.ca Staff

Thought it'd be fun to let my girlfriend shave my head and see what i'm going to look like, i had very long hair.

I was soon told by an ex military member, "Don't you know what they do to guys who shave their head before they start?"

I was not told the answer and have not received the answer yet. So I'm starting to wonder...

They say nice hair cut and everyone moves on with their lives.

At least you won't be one of the ones sobbing into their pillows in the receiving barracks the first night because you lost your golden locks to the nasty, nasty barber......

I never was sure if it was the barber's actions or that mean black DI who never conversed with you at less than 100 db, and got really, really close......whoa, gimme some space man!!!  ;D

I shaved about a week before I went. They just made me go anyway to make sure it was "regulation".

Actually, they drag you out behind the barber shop, order you to grow it again, and make you stand at attention unitl it grow back, then they shave it all off. :nod:

Wilamanjaro said:
I was soon told by an ex military member, "Don't you know what they do to guys who shave their head before they start?"

Nothing, don't worry about it. Far better then to show up looking like a hippy. At least you are demonstrating some sore of commitment to your chosen profession.

If you were to get your hair cut ahead of time, what is "regulation"?  #1 on the clippers, or shorter than that even?

To try it, I went down to a number 1 last summer and LOVED it.

From what I remember you'll probably end up standing at ease instead of getting your 15 minutes of sitting time for that day.

estoguy said:
If you were to get your hair cut ahead of time, what is "regulation"?  #1 on the clippers, or shorter than that even?

To try it, I went down to a number 1 last summer and LOVED it.

When I was there in 2009 it had to be at least down to a #2, but you were allowed to go with #1. You weren't allowed to go to zero for some reason. Our Sgt said it was a safety thing because they were zipping so many people in and out all the time as fast as possible and with weird heads and weird deformities that people have and stuff they didn't want to accidentally cut off a person's third nipple or something :rofl:

I would have to say you have a few more important things to worry about...but I'm like that.  Just don't show up with a mohawk with stubble - it'll turn into alot of stubble with a skunk stripe.

MM

If you shave your head, you'll just have one more thing to polish...

Stacked said:
When I was there, whenever a new platoon showed up we always made fun of the guys who had long hair still. By the time they got to he barbers they couldn't wait to get it shaved off.

Same thing happened when I went thru; in 1989.  The more things change...the more they stay the same.

IIRC, we got our haircuts around Thursday of week 1, the same day we got issued our kit.  Until that, we were the stupidiot platoon, stomping around with 120 different versions of various drill movements, some guys with long hair, all of us in our "civies" to the amusement of the other 9 platooons of "Senior" recruits in Cornwallis at the time.

Then, come Sunday of Week 2, we'd no longer be the Goon Platoon, we were BETTER than those dumba$$es, because we had our workdress and shaved heads and we had more TI than they did.  :bowing:  Yup, Week 2 and we thought we were the shyte now!!  :facepalm:

Snaking thru the line at Champlain Hall, we could roughly guess what week a recruit was in by how much hair had grown back on the top.

Times have changed in the few decades since I went to Cornwallis for basic.  Shaved heads were the rarity (Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas were probably the only role models for the look) and long hair was much more common (many of us showed up looking like hippies).  The first haircut at the base barbershop left only the barest of stubble and a weekly haircut was mandatory.  In my platoon there were two individuals who thought they would go the whole distance.  After they came back from the first haircut, they started to shave their heads.  They were about halfway finished when one of the DS walked through the washroom and spotted them.  The shaving was stopped even though each had only done one side of the head.  They had to live with that look for two days before they were sent to the barbershop to have the other side cut closer (but not shaved).  It took a little while for the evidence of their poor choice to be not so visible.

And the guy with the longest hair didn't quite finished getting his cut before the staff called "Lunch Time" and had to go to the Mess Hall with half his head shaved.

211RadOp said:
And the guy with the longest hair didn't quite finished getting his cut before the staff called "Lunch Time" and had to go to the Mess Hall with half his head shaved.

;D *hehe* I'm certain that will be my luck in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back