• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hawk 1 - The Sword Flies again !

she'll be on display at the stevenson aviation campus in winnipeg on may 6th, moving over to the western aviation museum on the seventh.

More photos from Comox posted on the Vintage wings site.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?a=572&lang=en-CA

Some shots before the operational pause took effect in Bagotville.

GoldenHawkTakeoff.jpg

GoldenHawkBank.jpg

GoldenGirls.jpg

GoldenCentennaireStaticProfile.jpg

A few pictures I took in Portage :
http://www.canadiancentennialofflight.ca/airforce/news/jun09/news_june7_e.php

On the way back from Winnipeg, to Portage
june8-1-lrg.jpg

Over the City of Winnipeg
june8-lrg.jpg

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm not going to lie to you; five minutes ago I stood out in my back yard on the verge of tears.

I live in east Edmonton, near the Capilano area.  I'm out fixing my fence (long past due) and I hear a jet engine coming from the direction of the Muni.  I can never resist the sound of an airplane so I stop what I'm doing long enough to glance up and see what it is.  What I'm expecting is one of the Cessna Citations that frequents the airport. 

What I get is--well what I get is a Canadair Sabre at an altitude of about 500ft., dressed in the colours of the Golden Hawks.  I'm going to believe it was provenance that made the pilot do a right bank and circle my neighbourhood, not once, but twice. My neighours have never been to sure of me anyway, and they must really be wondering now.  I ran back and forth between my back and front yards, at times standing still with both hands over my mouth, just gaping at this beautiful Sabre.  The best I could manage was an "Oh my gawd".

I'm 53 yrs old.  Back when I was a wee tad, my dad worked on the RCAF Sabres and was part of Leapfrog II.  I still remember us going out to the station at Sea Island (Richmond BC) in the late fifties to see the Golden Hawks perform. Of all the things I believe I will never see again in my life, this has to top the list. And yet I saw it not fifteen minutes ago.

I have to assume this is Hawk One, because I remember months ago reading on this thread they were planning on repainting it in the livery of the Golden Hawks, but I haven't kept updated on its tour schedule.  I'm now going to check the paper and bike down to the Muni to see if I can see her close up. But, to the people that made this happen--from the bottom of my heart--thanks.  What a moment.

Signalman150,

Hawk 1 will be at the Abottsford airshow on 7-9 August and at the Saskatoon airshow the following weekend. Maybe you can make it to either one of these locations. Its an impressive sight.

A post at The Torch (note links at end with lots more photos):

Golden Hawk Sabre to fly at CNE, Toronto, Sept. 5-7
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/08/golden-hawk-sabre-to-fly-at-cne-toronto.html

Mark
Ottawa

Back