• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank

opcougar said:
Hydro one is yet to provide a "just cause" reason for firing this jerk (yes I am calling him that), and instead to based their decision on social media justice.

“In the case of a unionized employee, there needs to be just cause. I would say that going on television and making sexist comments about a reporter would meet that bar in all likelihood.”
Labour lawyer Andrew Langille ( from the article posted ).

opcougar said:
Whatever the outcome, it's Hydro customers that will suffer the most from hiked monthly bills.

You are assuming he is entitled to severance pay. If he is, and not represented by a union, the calculator* will help you estimate the impact it is likely to have on your hydro bill:
http://www.severancepaycalculator.com/

* © 2013 Samfiru Tumarkin LLP, Barristers & Solicitors. All rights reserved.

How in the world are you not seeing that if it goes to court, then lawyers are involved, which translates to someone has to pay for the fees and any awards. Hydro one if found guilty of unjust, will then try to recoup that costs somehow. Not that they've ever needed a reason to hike their prices in the first place

Get it now?

George Wallace said:
I have no idea where you have been hiding, but they did state the reason that they "were firing this jerk".

???

How in the world did you deduce that?

You do realise that Hydro One likely has in house legal counsel and that court cases (of which there are likely a few) are already budgeted and forecasted for?  And even more likely, a case like this would probably be settled in arbitration before it ever went to court.

Costs for case like this would be insignificant.

Crantor said:
And even more likely, a case like this would probably be settled in arbitration before it ever went to court.

It would only go to arbitration if he was represented by a union. We don't know if he is. It would also depend if the union was willing to represent him.

If he is a member of a union, their silence is deafening.

These are the opinions of two labour law experts quoted in the article:

“Interestingly the unions don’t have to take cases. The union could decide it doesn’t believe in this cause and doesn’t want to be associated with this person. The person may be left without a remedy.”

“The question would be: would the union feel that it’s worth it to proceed to a grievance over the termination? They might agree with the employer’s reasoning on this, that it would damage the overall public perception of the employer. On the other hand, they may say that the guy has a good track record with the employer, this was an isolated incident, and they may be willing to go to bat for him. I think it could go either way. My guess is the union’s not going to touch this just based on the public backlash.”

Ahahaha...how fitting, and talk about using distraction to screw people. No wonder Hydro One wants people to be preoccupied with stories about some SOB being fired yelling obscenities when their billing system is so poorly managed. Wonder if the CEO should be fired??

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle24587387/

Hydro One issued faulty bills to more than 100,000 customers: ombudsman

Hydro One issued faulty bills to more than 100,000 customers, then mishandled the problem and tried to cover it up, a new report says.

The investigation by Ombudsman André Marin found numerous cases of overbilling by the electricity agency – including a senior citizen in Timmins who had $10,000 pulled from his bank account without warning, and a ski resort that received a bill for $37-million.

In many instances, Mr. Marin said, his office had to intervene to make Hydro One fix these problems because the agency failed to deal with complaints from customers. It ultimately cost $88.3-million to fix the problems.

“Like a lot of huge, monopolistic organizations, Hydro One lost sight of its duty to the public,” he said in a statement Monday. “It was so focused on the technical side of its new system, it failed to consider the impact it was having on customers.” ....

opcougar said:
Ahahaha...how fitting, and talk about using distraction to screw people. No wonder Hydro One wants people to be preoccupied with stories about some SOB being fired yelling obscenities when their billing system is so poorly managed. Wonder if the CEO should be fired??

Ahahaha...how fitting, and talk about using distraction to derail a topic.  We already have posts elsewhere on Hydro One Billing issues. 

Speaking of harassment in public, seems the social media crew don't mind this rapper spouting his misogynistic views in public. Good on John Tory taking the stance though.

Toronto Mayor John Tory (open John Tory's policard) says he disapproves of Action Bronson’s offensive lyrics, but he will support North by Northeast’s stance on whether to go ahead with a free concert next month by the controversial American rapper.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2015/05/27/petition-asks-nxne-to-axe-free-action-bronson-show.html

Here we go again ....
Complaint filed with RCMP after CBC reporter kissed by stranger on camera

Another television reporter doing a live report received a jarring distraction after a man kissed her on the cheek.

CBC reporter Megan Batchelor was covering a music festival in Squamish, B.C., north of Vancouver, on Friday when the incident happened.

She was doing a live hit for the network's 6 p.m. newscast when video the network aired shows the man came up from behind, kissed her on the cheek and took a selfie.

The CBC quotes Batchelor as saying she was "rattled" by the encounter and felt like the unidentified man was trying to interfere with her ability to do her job.

The broadcaster is reporting that Batchelor has made a complaint to the RCMP and the network is asking anyone who knows the identity of the man to contact police.

The CBC said in an emailed statement on Sunday that Friday's incident is another example of a disturbing trend and the network will do everything it can to ensure its journalists are safe when reporting from the field.

The RCMP says it has taken statements from Bachelor, a CBC cameraman and a witness, but the head of the Squamish RCMP detachment said tips from the public would be key in helping police to identify the man.

"We really have no other recourse than to seek the assistance of the public," said Staff Sgt. Brian Cumming.

It's unclear what charges might be laid in the case — Cumming declined to speculate, noting that in British Columbia unlike other provinces, police must refer the case to the Crown and prosecutors decide on laying charges ....
:facepalm:

Update,

Canadian Business
Aug 6, 2015  Jessica McDiarmid

"Simoes has filed a grievance with his union and the case will go to arbitration."
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/leadership/when-to-fire-a-bad-apple/

Dimsum said:
As a changing "sign of the times", technically this picture would now be sexual assault these days according to how it happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-J_Day_in_Times_Square#/media/File:Legendary_kiss_V%E2%80%93J_day_in_Times_Square_Alfred_Eisenstaedt.jpg

Perhaps even seventy years ago? Photos of men "stealing a kiss" from strangers on the street are not typical of the era.

I suspect a higher than usual level of  "conduct unbecoming" by servicemen was tolerated on V-J Day.

Besides, to this day, there is uncertainty as to the identity of either individual. For such an iconic photo, perhaps that is the way it should be.  :)

Hard to imagine photos of what female reporters of today are being subjected to ever generating nostalgia such as this:

"Unconditional Surrender"
https://www.google.ca/search?q=unconditional+surrender+sculpture&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI0Zrtg4ifxwIVCRo-Ch0TNgZZ&biw=1536&bih=788

Rehired Hydro One staffer ‘made amends’ for FHRITP incident, union says
http://globalnews.ca/news/2313080/exclusive-hydro-one-rehires-man-fired-after-fhritp-incident/

TORONTO — The Hydro One employee fired for defending the sexist heckling of a female TV reporter has been rehired after a labour arbitrator determined he made “extensive efforts… to make amends for his conduct.”

mariomike said:
Rehired Hydro One staffer ‘made amends’ for FHRITP incident, union says
http://globalnews.ca/news/2313080/exclusive-hydro-one-rehires-man-fired-after-fhritp-incident/

TORONTO — The Hydro One employee fired for defending the sexist heckling of a female TV reporter has been rehired after a labour arbitrator determined he made “extensive efforts… to make amends for his conduct.”

Everyone had their pitchforks out for me saying he wasn't going to stay terminated.

;) does this mean I get to say ... "I told you so"

Another fine example of "trial by Twitter".  While I don't condone what he did I never did feel it was worth firing him for it in the first place.  Its not as if he was wearing a Hydro One uniform or driving by in one of their vehicles. 

I don't even think he said the offending statement did he? Just defended his buddy who did it?

PuckChaser said:
I don't even think he said the offending statement did he? Just defended his buddy who did it?

That is my understanding of it. In fact I am not 100% sure it was his buddy who said it, rather just someone who beat their group to the punch line and they happened to be around for the questioning.

Schindler's Lift said:
Its not as if he was wearing a Hydro One uniform or driving by in one of their vehicles.

The arbitrator may take the employee's profession into account. An "assistant network management engineer" may not have as much contact with the public as certain other professions.

Dismissals for non-criminal, off-duty, not in uniform, not on City property, not in a City vehicle, were upheld by arbitrators where I used to work. 

A real twitter death sentence would have been putting his x-mas lights up before 12 NOV.

Not much has changed,

Apr 27, 2016

CityNews' Anna Vlachos considers charges after latest FHRITP incident
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/27/citynews-anna-vlachos-considers-charges-after-latest-fhritp-incident/
As Vlachos, who is six months pregnant, spoke to viewers, a young man walked in front of the camera and slurred “FHRITP.”

Back