• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamilton soldier fighting a battle … for work

I have to applaud the school for participating in such a honourable program.  This is definitely the sort of thing that needs to go on more often.  Just to think that some people will be eligible to get further training, and that the school will provide a scholarship to ensure that the majority of the cost does not fall to the member, it makes one feel good to see it happen.

That said, why are there no other associations or training facilities/school/etc. stepping up to the plate?  I have noticed that there are quite a few people who pay lip service to the "Support our Troops" mentality, but when it comes time to step up, they disappear into the void, only to show up when a relatively inexpensive way to "Support our Troops" comes up again.

It's the little things, I've noticed, that go a long way to our troops' happiness.  Getting a military discount in the Halifax area at places such as Tip Top Tailors, Sport Chek, McDonald's, First Choice Haircutters, etc., or even things like free Tim Horton's coffee to CF members on the National Day of Honour, are some of the little things that go a long way for morale, in my opinion.  Whereas, in contrast, these same businesses in the vicinity of, say CFB Petawawa, do NOT offer the same services (with the exception of Timmy's, as far as I know), but profess to "Support our Troops" when, in reality, they treat the troops like crap, along with everyone else.

Please do not misunderstand me.  I do NOT believe that because we are CF we are better or deserve these things as entitlements.  I normally don't even ask for the discounts, but when they see my ID in my wallet when pulling out the old debit card, they just give them to me.  My frustration is that there is no continuity within the businesses that "Support our Troops."  My problem is that the guys and gals in Pet should be able to receive the same type of gratitude and appreciation that I receive here in Halifax.  It needs to either be a nationwide, or not at all kind of thing.  I mean, really, will Mickey D's lose that much money offering a 10% discount to CF members?  I think not.

As for the Cpl who received the scholarship, I hope he is able to succeed in his civilian work as he has clearly succeeded in his military career, as was apparent in Chanada's post.  And I also hope that, as I progress through my military career, I have supervisors, coworkers, and COs who would stand up for me as strongly as Chanada has for this individual.

Cheers, good luck, and keep on making us proud, Cpl Battersby!

Back