• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

The military person wanted definitive action on something, but the govt counterpart wouldn’t commit. The military person later asked the govt person why they wouldn’t definitively commit, and their answer was something like “if we do, it closes off options”.
"Closing off options" by taking strong one-sided stances on contentious issues is a foundational principle of our current government. Unclear why they suddenly became all nuance-y.

Reactions: ueo
Readers may find the first survey dedicated to U.S. Jewish voters since October 7 of interest.

NOVEMBER 16, 2023

American Jewish Voters Overwhelmingly Back Biden's Handling of Israel-Gaza War​

First poll of U.S. Jewish voters since October 7 shows 74 percent approval of Biden approach on Israel and Gaza ■ Jewish voters trust Biden far more than Trump to combat antisemitism ■ 68 percent back Biden over Trump

November 2023 National Survey Of Jewish Voters​

Positive Views Of Biden & Democrats Contrast Sharply With Very Negative Views Toward Trump & Republicans

By a 39-point margin, Jewish voters said they trust President Biden more than former President Trump to fight antisemitism. In a head-to-head matchup, 68% of Jewish voters say they would support President Biden over former President Trump who would have the support of only 22% of Jewish voters

"Closing off options" by taking strong one-sided stances on contentious issues is a foundational principle of our current government. Unclear why they suddenly became all nuance-y.
Because they're in a wishbone situation, with different traditional sources of support pulling in very different directions, I suspect.

When politicians take a strong one-sided stance, usually, the calculus is likely "we'll build more political capital than we'll lose." Now, not so much ... #CantWinForLosing

Because they're in a wishbone situation, with different traditional sources of support pulling in very different directions, I suspect.

When politicians take a strong one-sided stance, usually, the calculus is likely "we'll build more political capital than we'll lose." Now, not so much ... #CantWinForLosing
Back on track.

There's apparently ad real to have some 50 female and children hostages (apparently now known as "administrative detainees" to the UN) in exchange for 6 days of ceasefire. My sense is that this is an acknowledgement by the government of Israel that there is faint hope that the captured IDF personnel (at least 180) will ever be seen again (dead or alive).

My sense is that Israel takes this deal, waits a few weeks for Hamas to break the ceasefire and then they finish the job in South Gaza.

Back on track.

There's apparently ad real to have some 50 female and children hostages (apparently now known as "administrative detainees" to the UN) in exchange for 6 days of ceasefire. My sense is that this is an acknowledgement by the government of Israel that there is faint hope that the captured IDF personnel (at least 180) will ever be seen again (dead or alive).

My sense is that Israel takes this deal, waits a few weeks for Hamas to break the ceasefire and then they finish the job in South Gaza.

Meanwhile....

Hanegbi says no ceasefire unless Hamas releases a ‘massive’ number of hostages​

National Security Council adviser stresses any pause would be brief and see military pushing on with offensive, adds Israel achieving the goals it set out after terror onslaught​

National Security Council chairman Tzachi Hanegbi said Friday that Israel will only agree to a ceasefire in exchange for the release of a “massive” number of hostages and not a “manipulative release” done by Hamas for public relations purposes.

“Only then will we agree to a ceasefire and it will be very limited and short because afterward, we will continue advancing toward our goals for the war,” Hanegbi said at a press conference.

So in the category "What' Up With This Nonsense" :

"Queers for Palestine " blocked a railway track near Winnipeg for five hours yesterday.

SO just to be clear Hamas et al despise the LGBTQ community, am I right? SO why would a LGBTQ aligned community support an organization that may kill them?

Some people are just stupid.

"Queers for Palestine " blocked a railway track near Winnipeg for five hours yesterday.

SO just to be clear Hamas et al despise the LGBTQ community, am I right? SO why would a LGBTQ aligned community support an organization that may kill them?

I’m just spitballin’, but I would suspect that the group isn’t consciously pro-Hamas. They are pro-Palestinians (the people) or maybe anti-Israel, but neither of those necessarily mean pro-Hamas.

If the PLO (as in Yasser Arafat’s party) were still a thing, they could be pro-PLO.

…or, I could be wrong and they’re using the “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” without thinking too far into it.

Meanwhile, last year...

Gay Palestinian Ahmad Abu Marhia beheaded in West Bank​

Palestinian police have arrested a suspect in the killing of a 25-year-old man after his body was found decapitated in the occupied West Bank.

LGBTQ groups in Israel, where Ahmad Abu Marhia was seeking asylum, say he had received threats because he was gay.

Video of the murder scene in Hebron has spread widely on social media raising speculation about the motive, but police say nothing is confirmed.

It is unclear for now how Mr Abu Marhia ended up in the city.

LGBTQ groups say he had spent two years in Israel waiting on an asylum claim to flee abroad after receiving death threats from within his community.

Israeli media quote friends of the victim as saying he was kidnapped to the West Bank.

SO why would a LGBTQ aligned community support an organization that may kill them?

They are likely protesting for the sake of protesting without actually understanding regional history or politics. Doing nothing but sitting around on rail tracks in the middle of a work day just tells me they are recipients of some sort of social services and don't have meaningful employment.

...Or they all took the day off from work to sit around on tracks?

They are useful idiots with a childlike world view of "good guys", and "bad guys". They view the Gazans as the "good guys" because Israel is an evil "colonizer" state.

I’m just spitballin’, but I would suspect that the group isn’t consciously pro-Hamas. They are pro-Palestinians (the people) or maybe anti-Israel, but neither of those necessarily mean pro-Hamas.

If the PLO (as in Yasser Arafat’s party) were still a thing, they could be pro-PLO.

…or, I could be wrong and they’re using the “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” without thinking too far into it.

Hamas was actually losing support internally apparently. They were polling very low and have been for a couple years. Apparently they were sinking all money they could into planning for this.

Their rivals, fatah were gaining popularity and could have possibly won the next election.

The attack against Israel may have united their people to give them more broad support.

I don't know much about Palestinian politics but there are a lot of good articles out there showing how hamas was getting desperate.

Not that fatah would have been much better. Fatah were big with suicide bombings and drive by shootings.

I already explained this up thread. In the black and white world of certain activist groups there are oppressors and oppressed. That’s it. Nothing is grey. So for those types, Israel is the oppressor, Palestine is the opresssed. Nothing else matters. Despite Israel actually accepting LGBTQ and Palestine looking to eradicate LGBTQ.

Last edited:
Back