• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

The UNSC is the designated international body for matters of global security.
Right, but there’s no mechanism I know of to compel regular reporting to them on how an armed conflict is being conducted. Much of the ‘here and now’ reporting useful for determining discrimination and proportionality would be caught under security classification anyway.

Right, but there’s no mechanism I know of to compel regular reporting to them on how an armed conflict is being conducted. Much of the ‘here and now’ reporting useful for determining discrimination and proportionality would be caught under security classification anyway.
There are plenty of international organizations not founded on the basis of coercion.

Many compliance mechanisms rely strictly on reporting, which induces honesty in 3 ways of its own: if you fail to report, you fail to meet your obligations and are probably hiding something. If you report but lie, the international community can hold that lie against you. If you report properly, you demonstrate that you are a state of good character, probably trustworthy and deserving of international funds/attention.

There are plenty of international organizations not founded on the basis of coercion.

Many compliance mechanisms rely strictly on reporting, which induces honesty in 3 ways of its own: if you fail to report, you fail to meet your obligations and are probably hiding something. If you report but lie, the international community can hold that lie against you. If you report properly, you demonstrate that you are a state of good character, probably trustworthy and deserving of international funds/attention.

Pretty much every country buries a lot of information in conflict. Hell, even on our side it took a ton of heavy investigative reporting and FOIA requests to get a sense of what the collateral damage realities in Afghanistan and Iraq looked like (mostly US data). Are you really sure some sort of universal and mandatory armed conflict reporting is a can of worms we want to open here? Nobody’s hands are super clean in the big fights- nobody really relevant anyway.

Pretty much every country buries a lot of information in conflict. Hell, even on our side it took a ton of heavy investigative reporting and FOIA requests to get a sense of what the collateral damage realities in Afghanistan and Iraq looked like (mostly US data). Are you really sure some sort of universal and mandatory armed conflict reporting is a can of worms we want to open here? Nobody’s hands are super clean in the big fights- nobody really relevant anyway.
My general opinion is that the liberal world order is falling apart and we should retreat to the ramparts. That is, re-form organizations centered on the West and its most stalwart allies (Japan, Korea). In other words, exclude those states that one would not generally expect to vote in favour of our common interests and values.

And, from there, do only whatever is in our common interest, not whatever seems "fair" or "nice".

---

My reply was purely technical. Nothing stands in the way of reporting schemes other than politico-diplomatic will. Obviously there are incentives on both sides that will determine whether a state reports honestly or not. Nothing new under the Sun.

There is no shortage of cans of worms in international law. That's why Canada tried - rightly - to neuter UNDRIP.

Idem.
The sequence of events puzzles me.

So this guy goes to City Hall, sets off Molotovs and fires a rifle of some description, but then just…drops it and surrenders?

If he’s that committed to be lobbing explosives, what stopped him? Change of heart?

Also, everyone’s talking about it now:

IMG_0110.jpeg

So this guy goes to City Hall, sets off Molotovs and fires a rifle of some description, but then just…drops it and surrenders?

If he’s that committed to be lobbing explosives, what stopped him? Change of heart?

View attachment 82689
Poor training.

Military or not, that's almost always the problem.

View attachment 82689

He was a Commissionaire, apparently. I assume he wasn't authorized for overtime :)

Israel is a party to the ICJ. I’m interested to see how they respond to this.
So I see this as a huge win for Israel. The ICJ was under immense pressure to vote for the pro-Palestinian side; they wanted an unmistakable declaration that Israel is committing genocide. They did NOT get that. Effectively, all they got was a declaration for Israel needs to refrain from conducting genocide in the progress of its war. Half the court would never have voted for a declaration of genocide, especially not China. That would easily open THEM up to a similar declaration. This vote allowed everyone on the court, both from pro-Israel and pro-Gaza side, to look like the good guys without effectively doing anything. I do NOT understand why the pro-Palestinian side thinks this is a victory for them.

1. 15-2 The state of Israel shall take all measures to prevent the commission of genocide to Gaza
I.e. continue to fight in a manner that all militaries from western liberal-democracies always already do in the modern era.
2. 15-2 The state of Israel shall ensure that the military not commit any acts of genocide
See above.
3. 16-1 Israel shall take all measures to punish all public solicitations to genocide
Bravo, the one "meaningful" measure. This should already have been happening, However, doing it won't in any way affect the effectiveness or legitimacy of Israel's invasion.
4. 16-1 Israel shall take immediate and effective measures to address adverse conditions to life in the Gaza Strip
They. Are. Already. Doing. This.
5. 15-2 Israel shall take effective measures to preserve evidence of actions impacting the Genocide convention
Again, "follow international law". Thanks, ICJ! <fist-pumping-jerk-off-motion>
6. 15-2 Israel shall submit to the court a report all measures taken to follow the orders of this court within one month
So that what, you can give Israel a gold star sticker? Gtf out of here.

Rape crisis centre supporting pro-Hamas rally another low in Toronto​

Just when you thought you might have seen everything comes a Toronto rape clinic helping to organize a pro-Hamas march just months after the systemic Oct. 7 raping of women.

This isnt surprising at all.

Looks like UNRWA may have had members working with Hamas to conduct the Oct 7th attacks...

UN agency fires staff after ‘shocking’ allegation of roles in Israel attacks
A bit of knock-on effect ....
ISR media reports FIN & GBR have also boarded the "not so fast with the funding to UNRWA party" bandwagon.

A bit of backstory on UNRWA & their (alleged) shenanigans (some links dating back to 2004) ....

P.S. - Hamas wasn't happy with UNRWA renewing ties with the U.S. not all that long ago, so they might get what they want after all ;)

Only one? It's a start ...

B.C. college drops instructor who called Hamas attack ‘amazing, brilliant’​

Vancouver’s Langara College confirmed Friday that a professor who faced public outcry for describing the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel as “amazing” and “brilliant” is no longer an employee.
70c8fc80

However, the school said the move was not a direct result of Natalie Knight’s widely-reported comments.

Knight had been on leave since November, after she was recorded speaking at am Oct. 29 pro-Palestine rally outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, where she described the Oct. 7 attacks as an “amazing, brilliant offensive.”

Word of the dismissal came just days after Knight, an English instructor and Indigenous curriculum consultant, said she had been reinstated by the college.

At a Tuesday rally near the college, Knight told supporters she had been “reinstated as an instructor with no disciplinary actions, which means we won,” student publication The Langara Voice reported.

Back