• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gym Question while on leave away from unit. Will cf reinburse cf member ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trencher

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys been in the CF 10 years. Had a question some people say i can claim it but wanted to know if anyone can give me a confirmed answer.

Im posted in trenton and im going home outside Ottawa for holidays and im not sure but i dont think i can use NDHQ no more. My family is located 50-60 min from downtown ottawa . I was wondering if i go to the local gym and pay out of my own pocket and keep the recipts if the cf will reinburse me?

Im off for a month and would love to be able to still work out.

Any guidance in a positive matter would be apprechiated.

I'm only guessing, but I wouldn't make holding your breathe one of your exercises.

If you have military ID you should be able to access gyms in any DND facilities in the Ottawa area.

I'd recommend contacting the gym(s) you intend to visit in advance (look for the CFSU(O) DWAN site, then find a contact for PSP) and confirm how things roll.

cause i know i cant go to NDHQ or NDMC to work out as you need a building pass first to get in the buildings

Im guessing maybe i should just give PSP a call and see if they can guide me somewhere ? Just curious cause im going on leave friday and would like to keep going while on leave.

As long as you have a valid military ID you can get access to DND buildings in the NCR - they'll ask to see your military ID, ask you for another form of ID (like driver's license) to leave with them once they issue you a temporary pass, then give you directions to the Gym (5NT for NDHQ, the basement for Coventry Road, and so on...)

I think some of the YMCAs in the Ottawa area are open to military members.  Try contacting a clerk at CFSU(O).

Dapaterson: I used to work out at NDHQ but whie ago we were told you can only work out if you had a building pass. Could you pm me or post here what locations in ottawa area i can go to ?

trencher said:
Dapaterson: I used to work out at NDHQ but whie ago we were told you can only work out if you had a building pass. Could you pm me or post here what locations in ottawa area i can go to ?

You can get a temporary building pass at NDHQ.  The first time you go it will take some time to register.  After that it's all of five minutes max to get the pass and only if there's a line.

There are several YMCAs in the NCR where your military ID will gain you access :

Ottawa-Carleton Metro Centre YMCA - 180 Argyll, Ottawa

Orleans YMCA - 265 Centrum Blvd, Orleans

Nepean YMCA - 1642 Merivale Road (Merivale mall)

Kanata YMCA  - 1000 Paladium drive, Kanata

Carlingwood YMCA - 200 Lockhart Ave, Ottawa

RA Center (for squash courts only) - 2451 Riverside drive, Ottawa

Military ID and sign in.

Those and the small facilities in some DND buildings are available for use.

Here's a list of all the CF mini-gyms in the NCR:
http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Ottawa/EN/Facilities/MiniGyms/Pages/default.aspx

Rheostatic said:
Here's a list of all the CF mini-gyms in the NCR:
http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Ottawa/EN/Facilities/MiniGyms/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks very much. Thats much apprechiated and that will work with my schedules while visiting family and friends in ottawa.

Thanks again

Keep in mind that not all of these buildings have the same access rules. Some note: "This facility is used for in-house military members and DND employees."

I didn't want to start a new thread when I knew this similar one was already here.

I have a military friend going to London, ON for the holidays.  Supposedly ASU is closed the last week of December.  Does anyone know of any gyms in the city that have free access for military members, or a low drop in rate?  Thanks!

PMedMoe said:
Of course, I've never worried about going to a gym on leave.  ;)

Hmmm, I must always be on leave then.  ;D

And thanks Mo, I'll pass that info on. 

trencher said:
Im posted in trenton and im going home outside Ottawa for holidays and im not sure but i dont think i can use NDHQ no more. My family is located 50-60 min from downtown ottawa . I was wondering if i go to the local gym and pay out of my own pocket and keep the recipts if the cf will reinburse me?

You can not be reimbursed for gym fees, regardless if you are on leave, TD or IR.

Rider Pride said:
You can not be reimbursed for gym fees, regardless if you are on leave, TD or IR.

Leave I can understand but TD and IR?  Interesting.......

But, you can (and I have been) reimbursed for gym membership fees if you are posted (even IR posted) or TDd to a location where no CF faclilities are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back