• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gun Control: US and Global II

Halifax Tar said:
I really think people over estimate the "positive" reaction a US Government sanctioned gun grab would get from US Military people. 

I would predict vast swaths of the US Military and Police Forces simply disregarding or outright resisting and such direction or order on the basis of their oath to defend the constitution.

This is the crux of the gun issue in the USA IMHO.  You can not take forceful action against firearms or it leads to open and violent insurrection in that country.  I see no other outcome.

Not to mention there is tons of citizens in the USA who did serve at some point and would not be willing to accept that as well. When you have a military of 1 million troops, and your system is designed and optimized for quick rotations (3 years and out if you like), you end up with a lot of trained citizens on the streets. 7.3% of all Americans have served (specifically 1.4% of females and 13.4% of males) which is a large amount who would also likely resist.

Fishbone Jones said:
" advocating a buy back of military style, semi automatic, assault weapon.

It won't be a buy back. It'll be a $25 convenience fee for them not having to come take them. A true buyback of blue book value would be beyond the reach of any system. Given the ignorants' ever shifting definition of assault weapons, given the amount of AR's and variants alone numbering in millions, no goverment could afford it.

I won't even attempt to parse his definition, other than to say, military style and semi automatic don't belong in the definition of assault weapons. We've been down that road here more than once here and I doubt anyone's thoughts on it have changed very much.

yep let say an average price of $700 per gun x 350-400 million = $245,000,000,000.00 (at 350)

Toronton will be holding a gun buy back.

$250 for a rifle, $350 for a pistol.

There's a Canadian company that's selling pistol frames for $49. You need to register pistol frames with the RCMP, so, considered guns?

Jarnhamar said:
Toronton will be holding a gun buy back.

$250 for a rifle, $350 for a pistol.

There's a Canadian company that's selling pistol frames for $49. You need to register pistol frames with the RCMP, so, considered guns?
Who has frames? Registered portion is the gun.

Fishbone Jones said:
Who has frames? Registered portion is the gun.

https://sjhardware.com/product/stripped-tt33-handgun-frame/

You should buy us each one buddy :)

All kidding aside I think gun buy back programs are great. I actually arranged for a guy to turn an unregistered pistol over to the police without repercussion and man it was stressful and intimidating for me and i was the middle man.

The programs are great (as long as jerks like us don't ruin it) but I've also heard of someone being charged for bringing a gun to the police a day before the amnesty started which is pretty stupid.

And there was our own Toronto police selling 'turned in' guns back to the public to 'raise funds' for the department a few years back

https://nypost.com/2019/05/16/police-station-mocked-for-photo-of-knife-haul-that-includes-a-spoon/

https://youtu.be/MhfuuKiTcYQ

Suspicious visit by the NZ police about firearms. Strange that they didn't want to discuss anything on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tKEjSVhj-Q&feature=youtu.be

Gun owners upset by 'heavy-handed' police raids complain to IPCA
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/112872575/complaints-about-heavyhanded-raids-on-gun-owners-land-at-ipca

Florida paramedics are now armed. The governor signed it into law effective 1 July, 2019.
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/07/01/new-law-allows-paramedics-carry-guns-when-responding-high-risk-incidents/

States including Kansas and Ohio already have the same law in place. Similar bills have been proposed in Tennessee, Mississippi and Virginia.

Eaglelord17 said:
In the 1920s the Weimar governments of Germany instuted gun control, fast forward to the 1930s and one of the first things the Nazis did was ban ownership completely and go door to door collecting firearms preventing the people from resisting.

While its true the Wiemar Republic had strict gun control measures, its false that the Nazis instituted a total gun ban. In reality for the majority of Germans gun laws were actually relaxed. However, if you were Jewish (or anyone else on the Gestapo's bad books), you had your firearms confiscated. For more info see here, and here.

Russia, China, Cambodia, etc. Venezuela in 2014 banned firearms ownership, now they under a dictatorship and starving unable to resist.

Cambodians are forbidden from owning firearms. However, Russians and Chinese citizens are allowed to own firearms, however with restrictions (automatic/semi-automatic firearms/handguns forbidden and rifles and shotguns regulated).

According to my link, Venezuelan people are allowed to own firearms, however, I would suspect that if you are a suspected government opponent you will have your firearms confiscated. Government supporter just the opposite.

Jesus, I can't believe they can legally buy drum magazines for a rifle.  There is literally no reason for that other than to kill a lot of people, very lucky the police happened to be nearby.

Hard to believe a society that doesn't allow anyone to buy a beer until they are 21 will let them buy a rifle and accessories to make it that deadly without any kind of background check.  You need to do more to operate a forklift for gods sake.

For something like mass shootings, stats relating to death per 100,000 is pretty irrelevant.  The US is looking at one every few weeks; that's far more frequent than any comparable country.  The # of fatalities and injuries per incident would be another good one but needs enough incidents to be significant. Examples like the Brevik shooting in Norway or the more recent one in Christchurch were terrible, but are one offs so aren't reasonable comparisons.

Navy_Pete said:
Jesus, I can't believe they can legally buy drum magazines for a rifle.  There is literally no reason for that other than to kill a lot of people, very lucky the police happened to be nearby.

Hard to believe a society that doesn't allow anyone to buy a beer until they are 21 will let them buy a rifle and accessories to make it that deadly without any kind of background check.  You need to do more to operate a forklift for gods sake.

The tipping point was Sandy Hook.  If shooting elementary school kids didn't change the law, nothing will. 

Navy_Pete said:

That's an incredibly ridiculous and fear mongering thing to say.

Dimsum said:
The tipping point was Sandy Hook.  If shooting elementary school kids didn't change the law, nothing will.

President Obama said it was the worst day of his presidency. He said even his Secret Service detail was crying.

Hard to imagine the effect these things must have on the First Responders.

Attachments

• sandyhook.jpg
    sandyhook.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
Jarnhamar said:
That's an incredibly ridiculous and fear mongering thing to say.
Disagree here J. Not sure why anyone would need more than what’s allowed for mags here in Canada. High capacity mags are for military and police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RomeoJuliet said:
Disagree here J. Not sure why anyone would need more than what’s allowed for mags here in Canada. High capacity mags are for military and police.

"Need" is always a tricky argument. We can't legally hunt with pistols in Canada and they're the leading firearm used in homicides in the US and Canada by a large margin. (1,517 people have been shot in Chicago this year, most will be handguns) Seems like an argument to ban handguns, but that "why do you need that" can be argued really to ban anything.

As for reloading, some people enjoy spending more time shooting and less time reloading. Some people just don't like reloading.

Having a high capacity magazine doesn't make anyone a murder wannabe anymore than having a large hard drive on a laptop makes someone interested in keeping illegal material on their computers. What happens when someone has a chest rig with 12x 5 round magazines? You can go through 60 rounds pretty quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_bSGJ8j9o

I personally think magazine size and some kind of acceptable kill ratio is low hanging fruit and we need to start figuring out why these guys are falling through cracks (or ignored) ref my above post.

Jarnhamar said:
"Need" is always a tricky argument. We can't legally hunt with pistols in Canada and they're the leading firearm used in homicides in the US and Canada by a large margin. (1,517 people have been shot in Chicago this year, most will be handguns) Seems like an argument to ban handguns, but that "why do you need that" can be argued really to ban anything.

As for reloading, some people enjoy spending more time shooting and less time reloading. Some people just don't like reloading.

Having a high capacity magazine doesn't make anyone a murder wannabe anymore than having a large hard drive on a laptop makes someone interested in keeping illegal material on their computers. What happens when someone has a chest rig with 12x 5 round magazines? You can go through 60 rounds pretty quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_bSGJ8j9o

I personally think magazine size and some kind of acceptable kill ratio is low hanging fruit and we need to start figuring out why these guys are falling through cracks (or ignored) ref my above post.
Some good points  here as always. Know that you are very adept at changing mags with a chest rig. But being limited to 5 rounds in each will make it very slow for  the mouth breathing hostile shooter.

RomeoJuliet said:
Some good points  here as always. Know that you are very adept at changing mags with a chest rig. But being limited to 5 rounds in each will make it very slow for  the mouth breathing hostile shooter.
Fair enough but the thing about those shooters is that with a little free time and some internet access they can watch countless training videos like this Navy SEAL teaching CQB drills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrulFx7mMkU

For someone really motivated and who has some cash to burn you can get courses taught  from ex JTF2, SEALS, SF, Rangers. Tons of training academy's out there that teach shooting, CBQ, pistol and carbine, driving, close protection.

I wouldn't consider him using a "Hunting" 7 shot Remington 870 shotgun with slugs or buck shot instead of an AR15 as some kind of victory. This guy had a kill list and was able to buy a gun, that's something the US needs to sort out.  I'll bounce you a PM about how ridiculous this young offender sealed file BS can be.

Jarnhamar said:
Fair enough but the thing about those shooters is that with a little free time and some internet access they can watch countless training videos like this Navy SEAL teaching CQB drills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrulFx7mMkU

For someone really motivated and who has some cash to burn you can get courses taught  from ex JTF2, SEALS, SF, Rangers. Tons of training academy's out there that teach shooting, CBQ, pistol and carbine, driving, close protection.

I wouldn't consider him using a "Hunting" 7 shot Remington 870 shotgun with slugs or buck shot instead of an AR15 as some kind of victory. This guy had a kill list and was able to buy a gun, that's something the US needs to sort out.  I'll bounce you a PM about how ridiculous this young offender sealed file BS can be.
Aye. I’ve always wondered why someone hasn’t used a shotgun in these types of shooting. Limited range? Too gory? After you’ve fired off your shot too long to reload ( unless you’re Keanu Reeve, that guy is next level).

RomeoJuliet said:
Not one of the shootings on this list used a shotgun exclusively.

If you had included the word "exclusively" when you asked, I would have searched for exclusive use of a shotgun in mass murders.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

RomeoJuliet said:
I’ve always wondered why someone hasn’t used a shotgun in these types of shooting.

Edit for clarity.

Back