• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GROUNDBREAKING AGREEMENT BETWEEN UK AND CANADIAN RESERVE FORCES

RecDiver

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if
(a) This was posted before, because I could not find it here and thought might of some interest to some folks
(b) This is the correct section. If not, I am sure one the fine Mods will move where its appropriate.

------------------------

London, 4 August/GNN/ --

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE News Release  4 August 2005
UK and Canadian Reserve Forces will, for the first time, be able to
train with their overseas counterparts, thanks to a new Memorandum
of Understanding (MOU) between the Ministry of Defence and the
Department of National Defence of Canada. The MOU allows selected
reservists to join a reserve unit that is similar to their own, in
either the UK or Canada.

After signing the agreement in Ghent, the UK Assistant Chief of the
Defence Staff (Reserves and Cadets) Major General the Duke of
Westminster said:

"Reservists are an integral part of our Armed Forces, but they are
also increasingly mobile in their civilian lives. Those who
temporarily relocate overseas find they are often unable to train
with their home unit and therefore lose valuable military experience.

Now, however, UK and Canadian Reservists serving in either country
will be able to continue their training whilst living abroad. This
will allow them to broaden their military horizons and maintain
their skills base, while remaining an important asset to the nation."

His Canadian counterpart Major General Herb Petras added:

"As in the UK reservists in Canada are a vital part of the defence
team. We view this agreement as a key retention tool for officers
and NCOs in whom we have invested significant time and resources. We
look forward to using this agreement between Canada and the UK as a
template for similar arrangements with other allies - wherever
reservists study and work."

The MOU is open to all members of the Reserve Forces relocating
temporarily to either Canada or the UK. It will allow those
participating to stay motivated and continue their military
development whilst overseas and, importantly, encourage their
retention in Service.

This is interesting.
I certainly hope its as simple as it sounds, hopefully word will trickle down the chain regarding this development.

Thats great!

In the past my unit has sent some troops to train with the Royal Green Jackets, but our Regimental association had to eat the cost.

Looking forward to this getting going...

Rfn said:
Thats great!

In the past my unit has sent some troops to train with the Royal Green Jackets, but our Regimental association had to eat the cost.

Looking forward to this getting going...
I'm fairly sure that the MOU in question, is in regards to soldiers from both countries that have civilian jobs that take them overseas for lengthy periods of time. In which case this would preclude them from keeping up with their training, thus leading them to quit their unit. So in short tell the Assoc. to start chewing, because I do not believe this is going to help your unit out in the way you're thinking it will.

Edited to Add
All in all though, it sounds like a good idea, although i haven't met many reservists that have civilian jobs that send them over to the UK for lengthy periods of time...anyone out there that might benefit from this?

I think it might be surprising how many could benefit from this. Consider the reservist spouse who accompanies a servicemember on exchange or a training billet. Or the reservist who's spouse is employed in the UK. Or the student who has a study opportunity in the UK (a Rhodes Scholar?)

Acorn

I am just wondering though, how such a person, would be integrated into the other countries forces.   Would the be required to do basic training?   Weapons Training would have to be done.   Would you keep your rank? Would your qualifications transfer over?   The MOU sounds simple on paper, but we know how easily "simple" things can be buggered up by bureaucracy.

This is an awesome oppurtunity. I bet now youll see coincedentally now certain guys all of the sudden relocating to work in england ,lol! I dont know how that would pan out though tax wise for non residents cos you are cdn forces overseas but not their for that reason cos you would be there as a worker in the uk for the first reason...However the ability to train with the unit i would imagine is just and only that, you can join your sister unit and train with them but then there will eventually be a time coming when they are gonna send somebody somewhere and then i bet the answer from ottawa will be, sorry boys nope this is just a training arrangement, you cant go with them! But it would be intresteing to see if that counts as an exchnage at that point that allows you to volunteer for service like cdns on exchnage in iraq in the current and last war. I bet also that this will be an awesome place to get qualifications and training we could never dream of, or would certain training be restricted....???

Hello there

I am a RCA reservist living in England while my wife is at university over here.  I've taken a 6 month leave of absence and that finishes next week when I go to ARCON.  Because we're expected to be here for another possible year, if this article is true then I won't have to go on another leave of absence or worst get out and go to the SHR list.  I've done that once before and I had to jump through hoops to get back in and I'm not interested in doing it again especially if it's only going to be a year.

I would love to continue with my training and considering I live about 45 minutes from one of the Royal Artillery schools here, I would love the opportunity to train with not only different equipment but a different unit.

Where can I find this article?  Where has it been published?  Is there a DND reference?  Any or all info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fundy Gunner: It was a news release from UK MoD. You might be able to better track down over there. Good luck.

Hatchet Man said:
I am just wondering though, how such a person, would be integrated into the other countries forces.   Would the be required to do basic training?   Weapons Training would have to be done.   Would you keep your rank? Would your qualifications transfer over?   The MOU sounds simple on paper, but we know how easily "simple" things can be buggered up by bureaucracy.

Probably all of the above - those persuing education or posted at a commercial company linked to Canada may have the best opportunities, I`ve known of pers attached to Royal Marines Reserves, REME, RE and SAS. I have also seen Australian Reserves attached to RE Reserves. So it does work.

As for straight soldier exchanges - more likely to have to justify it through business plans through chain of command.

Moral of the Storey - STAY IN SCHOOL and ADVANCE IN THE ARMY!  ;)

This probably will only affect a few people at any particular time, but it will affect people who tend to be successful, confident, and well self-motivated.  Whatever the administrative cost of this as a retention measure (chiefly, the financial issues), it's surely cheaper than recruiting and training replacements.

This is good news...it means I may be able to do a year long educational instruction program in the UK without giving up the reserves.

Now I just have to find the money to do it.

Brad Sallows said:
This probably will only affect a few people at any particular time, but it will affect people who tend to be successful, confident, and well self-motivated.   Whatever the administrative cost of this as a retention measure (chiefly, the financial issues), it's surely cheaper than recruiting and training replacements.

I'm not sure there would necessarily be much in the way of cost. I doubt that it will be treated like a foreign posting, so no overseas allowances. In all likelyhood it will be a question of pay and trg allowances. I'd be interested in knowing who will bear the cost under the MOU. I suspect that Canada will provide the appropriate Res pay to a CDN reservist so employed, as well as the CDN FOA or other appropriate allowances. As long as the cost isn't borne by the losing unit it should work quite well, and not be overly costly for the CF as a whole.

And it'll provide the Mo's Ninjasnipers with a chance at SAS selection for 21 SAS(TA)!

Acorn

Its already being done

There is a WO in the Tor Scots doing his Ph.D and
serving in a reserve unit over there...  for the last
year or so.

I notice the CF News Release web page hasn't posted this yet (top News on the site is the death of Smokey Smith VC).

????

This is actually pretty interesting. My familly is currently living in London, and I was considering taking an extended vacation there, but worried about going NES at my unit...I wonder what the process is...

I'm also sure this wouldn't apply to anyone who says, "hey I want to go to England for a year, maybe I can get some of that paid by my unit"

Sig_Des said:
This is actually pretty interesting. My familly is currently living in London, and I was considering taking an extended vacation there, but worried about going NES at my unit...I wonder what the process is...

I'm also sure this wouldn't apply to anyone who says, "hey I want to go to England for a year, maybe I can get some of that paid by my unit"
So, wouldn't you fall into this category?

Blakey said:
So, wouldn't you fall into this category?

Not quite...I'm not looking at having a free-ride, I'm interested in going over there at my own cost, yet continuing military service while there

Back