• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

griffon pilot

M

mamah_187

Can one increase their chances of getting into the airforce, (ie. 408 squadron) as a chopper pilot, by applying after they have obtained there lisence themselves?

thanks,
-Dan

Yes, you will be more familar with the "flying" part of you job. But there are other elements of the job you will need to encounter.

if you can fly, pass the entrance tests, pass Basic Officer Trg, make it through flight training, and mention that you probably wouldn‘t quit if assigned Tac hel, yer there. :)

thanks guys....

yes i know that if you have your helicopter license on your belt before you apply, you‘ll OBVIOUSLY have more experience....

but will they recognize that....like, how much would it greaten your chances?

Well, I‘ll just get right on that then. Problem is, I like running around in the woods with camo on my face. Franko‘s starting to get me thinking about Armoured. I do operate vehicles well. But flying Griffon‘s could be rewarding also. I‘m a good pilot, currently fixed wing only. Just have to get past CFRC, that‘s all. If I was going to be a pilot for the AF, Tac Hel is the only way to go. Those CF-18‘s are just too cramped for me (6‘4" :D )

I have a cousin that flies tac hel for 408 sqn...He‘s 6‘4 as well...They had to rent him a special helicopter to learn on as the one they provide is too small!

exactly.

The military should be all over saving money and time by choosing somebody who allready has prior experience.

Enzo: ya I know, they were cramped for me when I was 6‘0!

Dan,

They may well have an "accelerated" program for those with prior experience, but i assure you that you will take all of the training required by the syllabus. Not only does this get you the required training, but it protects you from moving too fast, too far in trg, and maybe getting behind the power curve...and allows the Military to release you if found lacking.

By the book all the way, or the redresses will swamp you.

Bottom line- if you pass selection, you have an excellent chanvce of going Tac Hel.

Cheers- Garry

Originally posted by Garry:
Bottom line- if you pass selection, you have an excellent chanvce of going Tac Hel.
you mean, if you already have ur license, correct?

what routes is there to go other than rmc if your fresh outta high school?

thanks guys

Dan - nothing less than a commerical license will help.

If you are fresh out of high school, there is currently a Continuing Education Officer Entry Plan open for Pilot. You can apply with your High School Diploma and go right into Phase 1 flight training. You will have to sign a statement of understanding stating you intend to make progression towards a university degree by the end of your first engagement. The CF won‘t pay for that part.

If you have a commercial fixed or rotary wing, and apply via Direct Entry Officer, or the Community College Entrance Plan, you may be able to bypass basic flight training on the Harvard IIs.

Having a rotary license in your pocket will darn near guarantee you a spot in Tac-hel, as that is where the most Pilots are needed right now.

So your saying if I obtain my rotary license (on my own terms), and apply under the "Continuing Education Officer Entry Plan", I will have a good chance for acception?

If so, would I then need a degree? what else would follow?

thanks guys

Sit down with a recruiting officer and see what he has to say. Many ways to go about your situation but you will have to pick the route best suited for you.

My friend in my unit is transfering to be a pilot. He has his fixed wing license. I‘ll ask him today what he‘s got to do. Of course his training might be different since he‘s already got some time in with the reserves.
Greg

hey,

Im trying to find time to talk to a recruiter, because thats probably the best thing to do....

Yeoman, that would be great if you could find out some info....hes transferring from what?

I‘m surprised they accepted him....

thanks guys,
-Dan

Back