• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grandfather's Service Record

annemarielyman

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to access my grandfather's WWII Service Record however, all of the websites indicate that I require his SN, Unit and Rank. I have none of this info. I know only his name, birthdate, and that he was in Intelligence (Air Force, judging by the lovely wedge in the photo). I know that my family received a letter saying that he was killed in action and were quite surprised when he turned up alive and well when the war ended.

Also, it has been suggested to me that I may not be able to access any of his info because he was in Intelligence. (I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement)

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

It say on http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html 
Your request must be signed.
To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
So give them what you can, and I'm sure they will find his records.
Hope this helps!

I too am experiencing difficulties locating service records on the medals awarded during WW11 & Korean conflict.  Perhaps the following will assist anyone having trouble locating their relatives' records.
library and Archives Canada
Personnel Records Unit
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N3
Telephone: (613) 996-7458
Fax: (613) 947-8456
Web site: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/index-e.html
I am particularly interested in my own service records, or lack of them I should say.  I cannot find any record of the time that I spent in the stockade in Valcartier during the summer of 1967.  Ninety days drill parade in the hot Quebec sun left an indelible memory.  I remember the base going on alert when Charles DeGaul, Prime Minister of France at the time, shouts out 'vive la Quebec Libre' and creates a huge international incident.  That day in Quebec city in 1967 can be directly blamed for inciting future separationist violence.
If any of my brothers in arms could help...?  Any direction at this point would be welcome.

Back