• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Graduation Day soon approaching.

Holiday Inn Express is nice to stay at, if you can get your husband to make the reservations in his name you should qualify for a military discount as well. Register via their web site and the discount applies any time, if you register when you get there it's not offered on weekends. Cost of taxi from St. Jean to the airport when I left in November was $95.-.  Hope this helps.

Holiday Inn Express is nice to stay at, if you can get your husband to make the reservations in his name you should qualify for a military discount as well. Register via their web site and the discount applies any time, if you register when you get there it's not offered on weekends. Cost of taxi from St. Jean to the airport when I left in November was $95.-.  Hope this helps.

Thanks that really helped alot, this site is GREAT! everyone is soo helpful.  Thanks to you both im kind of freaked out it'll be my first time on a plane, and knowing what to expect and how prepared to be is calming

Chevalnoir, is that the Holiday Inn Express web site?  I dont think my husband has access to a computer...also we're you there for a graduation?

Thanks again! ;D

One word of advice on "military discounts" with hotels.  Sometimes (frequently) they're more expensive than the regular or best available rate.  Best to check rates online prior to booking on the assumption that military discount = cheaper as it's not always the case.

One word of advice on "military discounts" with hotels.  Sometimes (frequently) they're more expensive than the regular or best available rate.  Best to check rates online prior to booking on the assumption that military discount = cheaper as it's not always the case.

thanks lil_T, but if you dont mind why is that? (about the discount)

shanesgirl, there's lots of reasons that hotels will offer better rates than their government/military rates.  Sometimes, there are web deals or last minute booking deals, etc.  Sometimes, it is simply the hotel's prerogative.

A couple of good sites to check on are Expedia, skoosh, gumballrate, etc.  Just Google them.  I'm on the DWAN and can't access them, otherwise I would post the links here.

Lil_T, sorry for jumping on this.

Its kind of like the airlines offer you half price tickets if you are flying for a next of kins's funeral..........only thats half off the "full, on paper fare" which is usually more than twice the price one can get a ticket for on the Airline's internet site.

No worries :)

My explanation

Because unfortunately, a lot of businesses will market a "military discount" or discount targeted towards other groups in an effort to drum up business.  It's an effective marketing strategy, unfortunately sometimes that discount can be as much as 5% MORE than the best available rate. Personally, I like to refer to them as discounts in disguise.   It's always smart to shop around for the best deal.  You'd be surprised at the difference in rates.  Though once in a while you will get a slightly lower rate with the military discount.   Also with the military rates, some businesses run on the assumption of the expense account.  While it's true of many gov't employees, it's not for most military pers and especially false for those travelling on personal business.

Some places do offer authentic discounts for military pers, but you have to keep your eye out.  As in everyday life, it pays off to be a smart shopper.

Thanks guys!! i was just on expedia and couldnt find the hotel but I'm going to search again, I found a good rate straight from the web site it was $110 a night is that cheaper that the military discount?? Im getting pretty psyched for this trip now! (high fives!)

The Military/Government rate is negotiated each year. You can check the current rates for accomodations online here before traveling. The above post, suggested the Holiday Inn Express, the list rate is $100 per night in January 2009.

Thats what i got as well, it is cheaper and im getting him to reserve me a room this weekend before he goes to Farnam(I think thats what its called-i know im such a civie lol) NOW im having problems with booking the tickets, so goes life i guess, is there anything special i could get him to commemorate this day?? Im stumped, will we even have time for any of that, when he explains to me whats going to happen that day it sounds pretty busy.  Especially if they have to leave the next morning

Back