• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Graduate Studies / Master Degree / PhD [MERGED]

Dimsum said:
Dummy question, but for online-heavy MBAs is there a "pecking order" ie. would an MBA from Royal Roads be "better" or more appreciated than one through Athabasca?  Obviously not talking about Harvard, Yale or that level here.

The magic is in the letters: MBA.... plus your many years of military service.

No one really cares where you got the degree, unless you're 22 years old of course.

First thanks mods for moving my other post! I typed Masters instead of Master so this thread didn't show...so close and so far!

MJP said:
The CM at ones of his brfs a few years ago said that at that rank level they really didn’t want people focusing on Masters as they were fairly useless in terms of utility at that point in their careers.

I hear you there, but I've plateaued for training. Short of AOC/ALOC there are no more courses I can take that will count for PD on my PER this year, I've done just about every onesy twosie including DA, Repat, Presiding, finance ones etc etc... I was loaded on french but got pulled out for an overseas posting and I find myself with a lot of time at nights to focus on projects so I figure Good for Career, might as well get started on it!

I looked at things like CLP, CPA, but the utility after I retire is the question I have there. No one in industry I've talked to has even heard of Certified Logistics Professional, and I have no real interest in accounting so I'm dubious on the CPA as well. Still...might be a thing, who knows? 

Royal Roads looks good, but that residency portion makes it impossible as I will not be back in Canada until late 2019 at best and will miss the ball.

I just worry about Athabasca as people looking at it as a 'lesser' if I apply for a corporate job after I hit pension.

NSDreamer said:
I just worry about Athabasca as people looking at it as a 'lesser' if I apply for a corporate job after I hit pension.

Don't worry about the 'prestige' thing. With your military background you'll easily match up against any other civvy contenders in most job competitions.

e.g., I know a retired Master Seaman, a Stoker, who did the RRU MBA and got picked up by a big consulting company where he is doing very well.

Wondering if there are any current or recent Grads in the MPA program at RMC.  I'm looking to complete part-time DL and I was wondering if there is a best order in selecting what courses should be done.  Thanks for any help.

Back